DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh yes, they will. I had a small maxima that I was trying to keep several months ago. I put him in a spot that he should have loved. I'd come back from work and he would have himself halfway across the tank on his side. Either pushing the water out of themselves, as they are a bi-valve, or by using their foot they can motor along. My current derasa clam, which is massive and as big as my hand, will move some as well. I take him out of the tank every day to check for pyramid snails, as I have them on my snails. I wake up or come back from work and it always moves itself so it is in the flow of the tank just so he likes it. Just be careful that it doesn't knock itself over and can't get back up like my maxima did.

I know of several friends who put their's in a plastic container yo keep it in place. pet stores fo this also I believe

Oh wow okay, didn't know they moved lol I have mine in a well lit area with moderate flow. It hasnt move much at all, just enough for me to notice lol

So I just realized I haven't tested the 90 in awhile lol luckily I did a pwc not too long ago. Numbers seem to be pretty steady tho.
Ph 8.1
Salinity 1.024
Ammo 0ppm
Trite 0ppm
TrAte 5ppm
Mag 1380ppm
Calc 420ppm
kH 9°
Phos 0ppm

Obviously the more coral I add the more my numbers will deplete(mag/calc/kh) but my question is, when adding a lot of coral, how quickly do the numbers deplete?

I understand there's a difference in a SPS dominant tank and a softie tank, but just an idea maybe? What's everyone else's numbers look like?

Dan, I agree with those who said all tanks will vary. I will tell you, as a frame of reference, that I have about 45 pieces of coral (about 1/4 of them are sps) and I add some B-Ionics every 2-3 days to keep calcium and alkalinity up.

Dan, I agree with those who said all tanks will vary. I will tell you, as a frame of reference, that I have about 45 pieces of coral (about 1/4 of them are sps) and I add some B-Ionics every 2-3 days to keep calcium and alkalinity up.

Alright cool that's what I figured, thanks Sean!

Well, the clam hasn't moved anymore. Maybe my giant sand sifting snail bumped it or something. Who knows.

My jawfish is settling in pretty good. Has made a nice big burrow right by my Kenya tree and Green hammer lol I'll try n get some pics in a few.

Well, the clam hasn't moved anymore. Maybe my giant sand sifting snail bumped it or something. Who knows.

My jawfish is settling in pretty good. Has made a nice big burrow right by my Kenya tree and Green hammer lol I'll try n get some pics in a few.

My clam stayed put once it found its spot. Kind of like Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory. :)

I love my yellow headed jawfish. She's so much fun to watch. She has a good sized burrow made, and lives in it with the Firefish. She made a giant crater in the sand next to burrow because she has taken all the sand from there and piled it for her burrow. Mine only has 1 burrow; there were 2 openings, but now only 1. She also steals any shell she can pick up to pile around the opening. Once or twice the snail shells still had snails in them. Haha she does dart into the burrow when we walk near, but after I sit there a little while, she comes out more. Very cool fish!! :)

I love my yellow headed jawfish. She's so much fun to watch. She has a good sized burrow made, and lives in it with the Firefish. She made a giant crater in the sand next to burrow because she has taken all the sand from there and piled it for her burrow. Mine only has 1 burrow; there were 2 openings, but now only 1. She also steals any shell she can pick up to pile around the opening. Once or twice the snail shells still had snails in them. Haha she does dart into the burrow when we walk near, but after I sit there a little while, she comes out more. Very cool fish!! :)

Yeah mine seems to be getting better with me coming up to the tank. She definitely has picked up several small pieces of broken rock for her burrow lol I tried getting a pic last night but she was being shy lol

Well... I scored big time.

Got a huge colony of purple monti (10-11" around), a colony of brown palys on a rock, frags of GSP, red monti, hairy mushrooms, fruit loop zoas, and what he said was a trumpet? I dunno it looks like hell and I'm not even sure if it'll make it.

But overall, im happy :)

Well... I scored big time.

Got a huge colony of purple monti (10-11" around), a colony of brown palys on a rock, frags of GSP, red monti, hairy mushrooms, fruit loop zoas, and what he said was a trumpet? I dunno it looks like hell and I'm not even sure if it'll make it.

But overall, im happy :)

Awesome!! Can't wait to see everything. Super jealous of the fruit loops! They are going to look awesome!

Awesome!! Can't wait to see everything. Super jealous of the fruit loops! They are going to look awesome!

Thanks! I know a buddy of mine is already asking to trade some polyps when they multiply lol

Nothing was really opening last night except for the hairy mushrooms, I'm hoping when I get home from work today that everything is opened :)

Fruit Loops!!!!! Awesome find. If the trumpets have a few heads hopefully some will make it. They're another great addition. Just don't forget the pics man!

Fruit Loops!!!!! Awesome find. If the trumpets have a few heads hopefully some will make it. They're another great addition. Just don't forget the pics man!

Well the "trumpets" weren't even on a plug or disc so I'm really not sure if they're gonna make it.

I'm really excited about these fruit loops now. I guess they're rare? Lol either way they look awesome under blue lights :)

As soon as I get home, whatever's opened up, I will take a picture of and post up :)

Back
Top Bottom