DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
purple montipora

ForumRunner_20130214_204009.jpg

Brown palys

ForumRunner_20130214_204014.jpg

Frag of purple cap and 2 frags of hairy mushrooms

ForumRunner_20130214_204019.jpg

Green star polyp and trumpets (still not open)

ForumRunner_20130214_204025.jpg

I had to move my zoas bc my crab knocked them into the sand, so they are all closed but so far ive only seen 1 out of 4 open up :/

PS. I'm doing a water change and getting the cyano out tomorrow lol

purple montipora

Brown palys

Frag of purple cap and 2 frags of hairy mushrooms

Green star polyp and trumpets (still not open)

I had to move my zoas bc my crab knocked them into the sand, so they are all closed but so far ive only seen 1 out of 4 open up :/

PS. I'm doing a water change and getting the cyano out tomorrow lol

That purple monti is huge!!

Don't worry about the zoas. The last time I got a frag it took them a few days to all open. It's good that one opened already!

That purple monti is huge!!

Don't worry about the zoas. The last time I got a frag it took them a few days to all open. It's good that one opened already!

I know, I love it!! And yeah I figure I'll have to give everything a few days to fully open anyways, I heard the green star polyps usually take awhile to fully open so we'll see

Trumpets usually never need to be put onto plugs. Still, if they are looking that bad and the crab is on it they may be damaged or dying and the crab will clean up the dead tissue. They will feed on decay. If just one head survives it should eventually grow back into a nice coral.

Trumpets usually never need to be put onto plugs. Still, if they are looking that bad and the crab is on it they may be damaged or dying and the crab will clean up the dead tissue. They will feed on decay. If just one head survives it should eventually grow back into a nice coral.

Okay cool, its not hurting it by having it on a plug is it?

No, reason they arent put on plugs that much is since they build a nice base as it is to jam into rock work or your sandbed.

Just got home, trumpets are opened and looking good :) my fruit loops seem to be struggling however. A few green stars have opened but nothing to get crazy over yet lol

How long would u wait to move the monti up top? I wanna put it in next to the overflow in the back but I don't wanna move it too fast and bleach it out. Some of the edges look to be fading already and its just on the sandbed

Move the monti up a level every week I would say. I've heard even every 2 weeks, but I just don't think that is a good way to avoid bleaching.

That's not a good way to avoid bleaching? What is? I can't necessarily move it up a level every week considering the size. With it on the sand bed it's already 1/3 of the way to the top lol

Sorry, I think moving it up one level every 2 weeks will lead to bleaching from not enough light.
Since it is so big...man, I'll be honest maybe you should just put it where you want it and get it to stay in place and be done with it. Worst that can happen is the quick increase in light stresses the monti and it browns. It would get over it and get the color back.

Sorry, I think moving it up one level every 2 weeks will lead to bleaching from not enough light.
Since it is so big...man, I'll be honest maybe you should just put it where you want it and get it to stay in place and be done with it. Worst that can happen is the quick increase in light stresses the monti and it browns. It would get over it and get the color back.

Im just worried about killing it. Too much light won't kill it right? I mean it'd be ashame to have an 11" colony die :/ lol

Would you he able to fashion a price of window screen to cover the montis position if you moved it up? Each week you could remove a layer of screen until all the screen is gone.

What kind of light was the guy using that you bought it from? If he was using real good light you may just be able to just go ahead and put it where you want it. I imagine it had to be in pretty good light for it to have grown so well.

Now the fruit loops- where are they placed in the tank? If you feel like they should be open more then move them to a new spot and see how they do.

Would you he able to fashion a price of window screen to cover the montis position if you moved it up? Each week you could remove a layer of screen until all the screen is gone.

What kind of light was the guy using that you bought it from? If he was using real good light you may just be able to just go ahead and put it where you want it. I imagine it had to be in pretty good light for it to have grown so well.

Now the fruit loops- where are they placed in the tank? If you feel like they should be open more then move them to a new spot and see how they do.

It was a 125g tank, one side had metal halide other had 120w leds. My light is a 165w so it is more intense lighting. It seems to be doing okay where it is right, its not bleaching so that's good. I'll wait a few more days and move it up.

I did move the fruit loops to another spot. 1 is fully opened and the other look to be coming along, they're on a piece of rock that's a weird shape so its hard to have them all in direct light lol

Back
Top Bottom