Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #821
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Wow drastic changes for Day 7..
Ammo .50ppm
Nitrite 1-2ppm(closer to 2)
Nitrate 20-40ppm(closer to 40ppm)

__________________

__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #822
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
really weird results for Day 8..
Ammo - .50-1ppm
Nitrite 2ppm
Nitrate 40-80ppm
Salinity 1.023

Figure ill bring the Salinity up with adding salt to my top offs for a bit(obviously mixing it first).
__________________

__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #823
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Question... when I do my initial water change after the cycle has completed, how do I go about doing it?

Like, do I have to turn off the pump and stop the flow of the tank or just siphon water out and go about it regularly??
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #824
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
SeanMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180 View Post
Question... when I do my initial water change after the cycle has completed, how do I go about doing it?

Like, do I have to turn off the pump and stop the flow of the tank or just siphon water out and go about it regularly??
I shut off everything but the heater because water level is too low to go over the overflow. I can get a 20-30g water change done in less than an hour an this doesn't pose any problems to livestock (I know you don't have any yet) nor does it cause the tank to recycle.
__________________
SeanMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #825
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMonster View Post

I shut off everything but the heater because water level is too low to go over the overflow. I can get a 20-30g water change done in less than an hour an this doesn't pose any problems to livestock (I know you don't have any yet) nor does it cause the tank to recycle.
Okay cool, when I turn off the pump, will the siphon stop on its own?
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #826
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CorallineAlgae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180

Okay cool, when I turn off the pump, will the siphon stop on its own?
It'll stop as soon as the water level drops below the overflow box. The overflow has to have water above the teeth of the box to drain. It's going to make a lot of sense once you start the water change. Piece of cake.
__________________
CorallineAlgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #827
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Daniel Fishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jupiter Fla
Posts: 1,178
Siphon will stop thru the overflow but there could be back siphon thru the return drilling two 1/8 inch holes just below the water line will prevent this.two just in case a snail covers one.
__________________
Daniel Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #828
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fishy View Post
Siphon will stop thru the overflow but there could be back siphon thru the return drilling two 1/8 inch holes just below the water line will prevent this.two just in case a snail covers one.
Yeah I have the holes already in the pipe.. guess it was a premade durso standpipe from the previous owner.
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #829
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Daniel Fishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jupiter Fla
Posts: 1,178
How about on your return line?will the return opening be above water when overflow siphon stops if not there could be back siphon thru return line.melevsreef . com sumps has some good info
__________________
Daniel Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #830
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fishy View Post
How about on your return line?will the return opening be above water when overflow siphon stops if not there could be back siphon thru return line.melevsreef . com sumps has some good info
I have built in check valves in 2 different spots of my system so I should be good, hopefully lol
__________________

__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
90 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.