Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #891
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Day 14 results are the same as Day 13 except I got my salinity up to 1.025
__________________

__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #892
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CorallineAlgae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180
Dumb question but its been awhile since I've cycled a tank, when can I take the decaying shrimp out that smells like nasty @$$ feet? Lol
It's a good question. I'd take it out in two or three days. Your tank is essentially cycled once your nitrite is converted to nitrate which has been happening for a while. If you plan on adding a lot of fish right away you could leave it another week. If you're just getting four green chromis then I'd say your tank will likely be ready by Sunday if you take the shrimp out in a couple days, check to ensure the nitrite is at trace a couple days later, and then do that monster water change to flush the nitrates on Saturday.

These things happen in their own time frame of course so we can only make guesses and then test on the actual days.
__________________

__________________
CorallineAlgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #893
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae View Post

It's a good question. I'd take it out in two or three days. Your tank is essentially cycled once your nitrite is converted to nitrate which has been happening for a while. If you plan on adding a lot of fish right away you could leave it another week. If you're just getting four green chromis then I'd say your tank will likely be ready by Sunday if you take the shrimp out in a couple days, check to ensure the nitrite is at trace a couple days later, and then do that monster water change to flush the nitrates on Saturday.

These things happen in their own time frame of course so we can only make guesses and then test on the actual days.
So you think my trites will convert by Sunday? And I should take the shrimp out on Thursday or Friday maybe?
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #894
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
I already have pods in my fuge
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #895
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bearchumjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Red Mountain WA
Posts: 3,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180 View Post
I already have pods in my fuge
Awesome! Pods means sleeper goby...
__________________
Some people like cucumbers better pickled.
Bearchumjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #896
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs View Post

Awesome! Pods means sleeper goby...
without a doubt.. definitely getting one once the tank is up and running and I have my lights I'll probably buy a pod package from Reefs2go
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #897
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Qube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hagerstown, Md
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180 View Post

without a doubt.. definitely getting one once the tank is up and running and I have my lights I'll probably buy a pod package from Reefs2go
I recommend their pod package for amphipods. Often times it's buy one get one free, so that's a plus. If you're in the market for copepods, check out Reef Cleaners. 2 bags and my refugium is out of control with them now!
__________________
Qube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #898
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qube View Post

I recommend their pod package for amphipods. Often times it's buy one get one free, so that's a plus. If you're in the market for copepods, check out Reef Cleaners. 2 bags and my refugium is out of control with them now!
Great! Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely keep that in mind
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #899
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CorallineAlgae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180

So you think my trites will convert by Sunday? And I should take the shrimp out on Thursday or Friday maybe?
They likely won't be down by Sunday unless you take the shrimp out today. You could always just take it slow and leave it in until you see only nitrate. It's only if you wanted to rush things. It's always better to wait but once your tank deals with the nitrite, whenever that may be, the tank will be ready assuming you drop the nitrates.
__________________
CorallineAlgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #900
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae View Post

They likely won't be down by Sunday unless you take the shrimp out today. You could always just take it slow and leave it in until you see only nitrate. It's only if you wanted to rush things. It's always better to wait but once your tank deals with the nitrite, whenever that may be, the tank will be ready assuming you drop the nitrates.
Gotcha, well I'm in no rush at all so ill just leave it in there.
__________________

__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
90 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.