Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #951
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs View Post

That's good! That could have been a big mess!
Lol yeah and angry neighbors downstairs!
__________________

__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #952
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Okay it's now been 24 days and my cycle has not moved.

Ammo 0ppm
Nitrites 2ppm
Nitrates 80ppm

I have a diatom bloom happening in my fuge and hundreds of pods as well. I turned off my skimmer to see if that helps, but seriously? Why have my nitrites not moved??
__________________

__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #953
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
SeanMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180 View Post
Okay it's now been 24 days and my cycle has not moved.

Ammo 0ppm
Nitrites 2ppm
Nitrates 80ppm

I have a diatom bloom happening in my fuge and hundreds of pods as well. I turned off my skimmer to see if that helps, but seriously? Why have my nitrites not moved??
Diatoms are a good sign. I would think you'll start seeing some movement on the cycle again. Like many have already said, these things go at their rate, not ours. I can relate. The cycle is the most tortuous part of the hobby, IMO.
__________________
SeanMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #954
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMonster View Post

Diatoms are a good sign. I would think you'll start seeing some movement on the cycle again. Like many have already said, these things go at their rate, not ours. I can relate. The cycle is the most tortuous part of the hobby, IMO.
You got that right! I'm just not used to this, all of my other tanks have cycled just like that lol
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #955
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CorallineAlgae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180

You got that right! I'm just not used to this, all of my other tanks have cycled just like that lol
Some tanks just seem stubborn. I find the more ocean live rock you use the better up until a certain point. Nearly all if the rock you have was dry so that could be a part of it. In the end it'll be worth the wait.

Your sump didn't overflow because you have a great manifold! Nothing beats the "power outage" test. I would've been shocked if your tank didn't pass with flying colors. You put a ton of work and thought into it. Oh yeah!!!
__________________
CorallineAlgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #956
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae View Post

Some tanks just seem stubborn. I find the more ocean live rock you use the better up until a certain point. Nearly all if the rock you have was dry so that could be a part of it. In the end it'll be worth the wait.

Your sump didn't overflow because you have a great manifold! Nothing beats the "power outage" test. I would've been shocked if your tank didn't pass with flying colors. You put a ton of work and thought into it. Oh yeah!!!
All thanks to you!! Lol I would've had a dining room full of water if it wasnt for you and everyone else at AA!!
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #957
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
SeanMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180 View Post

All thanks to you!! Lol I would've had a dining room full of water if it wasnt for you and everyone else at AA!!
I agree. This forum has been such a help. No matter your expertise level you can find someone that has come across a problem or issue. I love AA (not Alcoholics Anonymous)
__________________
SeanMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #958
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMonster View Post

I agree. This forum has been such a help. No matter your expertise level you can find someone that has come across a problem or issue. I love AA (not Alcoholics Anonymous)
Lmao yeah I always feel weird saying "AA" but you're right.. no matter how much experience, you can always learn more
__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #959
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CorallineAlgae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,115
This really is a great site. Team effort on every part of a build just rocks. I usually learn something just reading threads. Plus we have people from lots of different countries. Man... you just can't get that from a local shop.
__________________
CorallineAlgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #960
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
DanS180's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae View Post
This really is a great site. Team effort on every part of a build just rocks. I usually learn something just reading threads. Plus we have people from lots of different countries. Man... you just can't get that from a local shop.
Definitely not, in fact the people at the LFS usually give you the complete opposite advice lol
__________________

__________________
DanS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
90 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.