DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I have my 27G trash can mixing salt as we speak.. think that'll be enough? That's almost a 33% water change lol

So when I go to start this water change, What precautions should I take? I know I asked before but I forget lol first EVER water change with an overflow/sump so I'm a little nervous lol

I shut down my system for the most part except for the circulation pumps that will stay submerged during the water change and when filling back up ill either pump the new water into the DT to the level it was at while shut down or (what I like to do) is fill up thru your sump by turning it back on and pumping water into it. It's easy for me since my mixing pump can almost match my return pump gallon for gallon. Everyone has their own techniques though and you'll develop your own variation over time that best suits your exact setup.

Edit* for instance when my return shuts off I need to shut off my skimmer because if not the water level rises causing it to fill the cup much quicker and if not caught in time what ever is in the cup will start pouring back into the tank.

I shut down my system for the most part except for the circulation pumps that will stay submerged during the water change and when filling back up ill either pump the new water into the DT to the level it was at while shut down or (what I like to do) is fill up thru your sump by turning it back on and pumping water into it. It's easy for me since my mixing pump can almost match my return pump gallon for gallon. Everyone has their own techniques though and you'll develop your own variation over time that best suits your exact setup.

Edit* for instance when my return shuts off I need to shut off my skimmer because if not the water level rises causing it to fill the cup much quicker and if not caught in time what ever is in the cup will start pouring back into the tank.

Okay so just turn everything off and just go about the water change, then turn everything back on and bam, done?

I put my fresh water onto my ato. Then I start removing water until it reaches the top my return pump. Let it fill up to the right level and repeat. I like the lazy man approach to it.

Pretty much.. like I said just make sure you fill the tank to its "off" level and not its running level as that could be bad lol

I would say do your 27 gallon change and test your levels. That's the best way.

Almost done the water change actually.. so I'll let it settle overnight and retest tomorrow :)

Oh and my plumbing turned out being well built :) no overflows with the power out :) yayyy

Water change done. 1 of 2 light fixtures purchased :)

This dont help now but may help someone reading this i ran my fugi during cycle nitrates barely got to 20 by the end of cycle about a month trates were 0

This dont help now but may help someone reading this i ran my fugi during cycle nitrates barely got to 20 by the end of cycle about a month trates were 0

Yeah my nitrates hit 160 during my cycle but with the fuge they were between 40-80 when it came time to do the water change.

If I go home today and my numbers are good, I'm gonna go get 4-5 chromis to start :)

I saw Fiji purple anthias at my LFS the other day, I wish I could do a school of them but they're wayyy to expensive to do a school of lol I think they wanted like $40 per fish lol

I'm not sure I'd add more than three fish to start. Just to be safe. Just keep in mind that a lot of fish at the beginning may mean more large water changes until the system is mature. Make sure the fish are super healthy at the shop if you aren't going to quarantine.

I'm not sure I'd add more than three fish to start. Just to be safe. Just keep in mind that a lot of fish at the beginning may mean more large water changes until the system is mature. Make sure the fish are super healthy at the shop if you aren't going to quarantine.

Okay so I'll get 3 to start and add 2 down the line :) i gotta pick up more salt as well.. figure I'm gonna need it for the first couple weeks probably.

Back
Top Bottom