DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes it will help some a lot of people run bags of media just laying in their sump but obviously the better and more controlled the flow through it the better/more effective. I keep mine in a BRS reactor which I must admit is one of my favorite pieces of equipment since you have so many options with it. I actually ended up hooking my sterilizer up 2 days ago to the end of my reactor so no extra pump needed yay haha

Yes it will help some a lot of people run bags of media just laying in their sump but obviously the better and more controlled the flow through it the better/more effective. I keep mine in a BRS reactor which I must admit is one of my favorite pieces of equipment since you have so many options with it. I actually ended up hooking my sterilizer up 2 days ago to the end of my reactor so no extra pump needed yay haha

I was thinking of doing the BRS GFO/carbon reactor but I don't know if I'll have room under my tank for it lol might just toss the chemipure you got me into the skimmer chamber eventually

Good thing about their reactors is they don't need room in your sump. You can mount it to the side of your stand inside or outside. You just need room for the pump.

Good thing about their reactors is they don't need room in your sump. You can mount it to the side of your stand inside or outside. You just need room for the pump.

Exactly lol id have to figure that out. Everything is so tightly packed with my tank. Lol

Well just got in from work. All of my fish r dead. Had to remove a few rocks to find them but I got em out. Not really understanding why they all died(6).

pH 8.1
Salinity 1.025
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5-10ppm

R chromis really just that sensitive and die so easily? Just wasted $36 :/

That's why I thought only three would be the way to go. Just to make sure, don't use any aerosol air fresheners or plug ins in the tank room. The skimmer can pull that stuff in. I'm sure it's something else but I thought I'd mention it.

In these cases I always pop a Chemi-Pad in the tank. What it removes I couldn't say but it's like a silver bullet for unknown "bad stuff". Maybe try a single hardy fish in the sump. Like a yellow tail damsel. They're very sturdy and you could remove it to take it back after you ensure the tank is ok. I'm sure I'll get a LOT of flack for suggesting that but it's honestly what I would do. It'll tell you two things: 1st is the tank safe for "hardy" fish, and 2nd it will rule out a bad batch of green chromis.

That's why I thought only three would be the way to go. Just to make sure, don't use any aerosol air fresheners or plug ins in the tank room. The skimmer can pull that stuff in. I'm sure it's something else but I thought I'd mention it.

In these cases I always pop a Chemi-Pad in the tank. What it removes I couldn't say but it's like a silver bullet for unknown "bad stuff". Maybe try a single hardy fish in the sump. Like a yellow tail damsel. They're very sturdy and you could remove it to take it back after you ensure the tank is ok. I'm sure I'll get a LOT of flack for suggesting that but it's honestly what I would do. It'll tell you two things: 1st is the tank safe for "hardy" fish, and 2nd it will rule out a bad batch of green chromis.

Good point. A damsel in the sump wouldn't be a bad idea. Because my nitrates aren't terrible, and I'm getting ready to do another water change in a couple hours.

I think what I'm going to do is just wait til I get my nitrates to 0 then go slowly from there, plus I ran into unexpected financial problems anyways :/

Oh and I did just add 2 blue legged hermits and 2 red legged hermits in the sump so I guess we'll see if theyll survive

Good point. A damsel in the sump wouldn't be a bad idea. Because my nitrates aren't terrible, and I'm getting ready to do another water change in a couple hours.

I think what I'm going to do is just wait til I get my nitrates to 0 then go slowly from there, plus I ran into unexpected financial problems anyways :/

Oh and I did just add 2 blue legged hermits and 2 red legged hermits in the sump so I guess we'll see if theyll survive

36$? Wow chromis are 3-5$ each around here depends which store sorry bout your losing them ive lost 4 in last month no idea why all other fish doin just fine strange

Chromis are one of the hardier fish... Idk why they all died but that's really sad :(

I have to disagree with the hardiness of chromis. Like many others have said, I have had the same experience as the op with chromis. Started with 5 and they pick on the smallest one until he dies then they move on to the next smallest. My lfs has said the same thing. They have trouble with them too.

bioteacher said:
I have to disagree with the hardiness of chromis. Like many others have said, I have had the same experience as the op with chromis. Started with 5 and they pick on the smallest one until he dies then they move on to the next smallest. My lfs has said the same thing. They have trouble with them too.

They used to be a little hardier. I'd almost never see a dead one back when I ran a shop (about 10 years ago). I wonder if it's the source, capture method, the distributers or something else. It's sad to see how few are making it these days. They're beautiful.

Well, at least it may be something other than Dan's tank. I "really" believe a different species is the way to go after reading your post bioteacher. I'd still try something cheap and resilient like a damsel, just to rule out the tank. Some chromis must be surviving at the shop. Maybe trying a LPS that guarantees their fish for a few days would be prudent. Just a thought.

Yeah atleast not around our way Kyle.

I just did another 10G WC. I'm gonna try n get my nitrates down some more and maybe tomorrow or Thursday I'll get a damsel for the sump.

I haven't tested for anything else bc I figure I don't have to with no corals in there yet and those other levels won't kill the fish.

I can say that I've seen the same thing. They always seem to kill each other off until one is left. That said, it does seem odd that you weren't left with one. Personally, I'll never try a school of them.

I can say that I've seen the same thing. They always seem to kill each other off until one is left. That said, it does seem odd that you weren't left with one. Personally, I'll never try a school of them.

Which leads me to believe its not the fish that r killing each other, something else probably. Oh well.

No more fish until all levels are 0ppm.

Well on a brighter note, my light was delivered today! :) can't wait to get home and set it up and have HALF a tank lit up lmao.

Which leads me to believe its not the fish that r killing each other, something else probably. Oh well.

No more fish until all levels are 0ppm.

You are continuing to feed the tank right? You need to provide a nitrogen source or you bacteria colonies will die. I don't think you will ever get Trates to 0. They are the end product of the cycle so as long as the bacteria are doing there thing you will always have low levels of Trates.

You are continuing to feed the tank right? You need to provide a nitrogen source or you bacteria colonies will die. I don't think you will ever get Trates to 0. They are the end product of the cycle so as long as the bacteria are doing there thing you will always have low levels of Trates.

Well my fuge is filled with live sand/bacteria and I put a few hermits in there, that's not enough? If not then I'll go out n get a damsel tonight

bioteacher said:

Not necessarily true. All the tanks I've had always had zero nitrates even when I went a few months without water changes. My brother hasn't seen nitrates either. It's very possible but a reasonable fish load is important. Lots of live rock and plants play a big role.

But you're right. He's got to feed the bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom