DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well with the summer months rolling thru, the temp in my tank is jumping up. Its 10:30 at night and my tank is 82°…

Any ideas on how to drop it and keep it there? Think I should cut off the heater for the summer or would that cause too much of a swing?

Well with the summer months rolling thru, the temp in my tank is jumping up. Its 10:30 at night and my tank is 82°…

Any ideas on how to drop it and keep it there? Think I should cut off the heater for the summer or would that cause too much of a swing?

My lfs suggested to me last year (when my AC died) to get one of those small fans that you can clip on to a shelf, etc. they said to clip it on to the sump (add tape or whatever since you don't want it coming loose and falling in the sump) and run the fan so air blows over the top of the water in the sump. They warned your evaporation will increase so be cognizant of that. If temperature really starts to take off, they suggested filling milk jugs with water, freezing them, and place one in the sump. Unplugging your heater at this point shouldn't do anything as it shouldn't turn on unless temp falls below set point. They also recommended decreasing light on time (although I think you have LED lights which don't produce much neat). Then there is always the chiller route, which is pricey or a window AC unit.

My lfs suggested to me last year (when my AC died) to get one of those small fans that you can clip on to a shelf, etc. they said to clip it on to the sump (add tape or whatever since you don't want it coming loose and falling in the sump) and run the fan so air blows over the top of the water in the sump. They warned your evaporation will increase so be cognizant of that. If temperature really starts to take off, they suggested filling milk jugs with water, freezing them, and place one in the sump. Unplugging your heater at this point shouldn't do anything as it shouldn't turn on unless temp falls below set point. They also recommended decreasing light on time (although I think you have LED lights which don't produce much neat). Then there is always the chiller route, which is pricey or a window AC unit.

Okay I think I'll go with the fan first. I'm not too worried about it. Tank hasn't gone over 82° yet. Definitely don't wanna buy a chiller Lol thanks Sean!

Constant problem at my house. The fan helps, but only so far. If it gets to 100 in your house it won't do jack. My house bakes in the sun all day. And with ancient cathedral ceilings in my farm house, you can't get the living room insulated in the ceiling. Literal 15 degree difference between the living room an the rest of the insulated house. I run the ac in the living room all day. If I don't start at 8-9 am or before I leave for work some days at 5, it gets so hot the ac unit isn't able to catch up.

Constant problem at my house. The fan helps, but only so far. If it gets to 100 in your house it won't do jack. My house bakes in the sun all day. And with ancient cathedral ceilings in my farm house, you can't get the living room insulated in the ceiling. Literal 15 degree difference between the living room an the rest of the insulated house. I run the ac in the living room all day. If I don't start at 8-9 am or before I leave for work some days at 5, it gets so hot the ac unit isn't able to catch up.

Yikes. Well I do have a window unit in the dining room next to my tank so maybe I'll just turn that on on the hotter days.

Anyone have any idea why my fruit loop zoa hasn't multiplied yet? Its been in the tank for at least 2 months and still nothing. Same thing with my Darth Maul zoas. Have had 4 of em for like 4-5 months Lol

But my radioactive dragon eye, fire and ice, LA Lakers, and fake red hornets are growing fine so I'm very confused. Are they just a more difficult type to have?

Anyone have any idea why my fruit loop zoa hasn't multiplied yet? Its been in the tank for at least 2 months and still nothing. Same thing with my Darth Maul zoas. Have had 4 of em for like 4-5 months Lol

But my radioactive dragon eye, fire and ice, LA Lakers, and fake red hornets are growing fine so I'm very confused. Are they just a more difficult type to have?

I think some just grow a lot quicker than others. I think I read on here (may have even been Mr. X that said) the cheaper ones from Indonesia multiply quite rapidly while others may take a long time. I have some that have gone crazy and other that I've had for 8 months that have only added a polyp or two.

I think some just grow a lot quicker than others. I think I read on here (may have even been Mr. X that said) the cheaper ones from Indonesia multiply quite rapidly while others may take a long time. I have some that have gone crazy and other that I've had for 8 months that have only added a polyp or two.

Gotcha, guess I'll have to be patient then Lol.

I'm supposed to be trading a few frags for a mini colony of Aussie green goblin favia today so hopefully that pulls thru. Also just picked up a pink bird nest mini colony and frag of either green poci or green stylo, I'll try n get some pics for ya guys later on :)

Well I figured out where my pic section is but still not sure how to delete some so I can add new ones :/. I did manage to get the green goblin favia piece that's about 4 inches long, 2 inches across. Very nice mini colony for sure. Adds a lot of POP to my tank.

New project tho. Changing out my substrate. The pool sand I have is developing a hard surface and trapping gases underneath. Can't be good.

Any advice?

Changed out my substrate :) yayy.

Now if only a moderator would help me figure out how to clear up some space for some new pictures, I'd be in good shape lol

So in the past few weeks I have met someone that has hooked me up with corals for a fraction of what LFS would charge.

I've gotten numerous Acans with huge heads, couple different zoa colonies, a big 5in acan enchinata, the green goblin favia, a gold hammer, a crazy insanely colored Yuma mushroom that is supposedly worth a lot of money.

Now if only things would grow so I can start fragging :)

So in the past few weeks I have met someone that has hooked me up with corals for a fraction of what LFS would charge.

I've gotten numerous Acans with huge heads, couple different zoa colonies, a big 5in acan enchinata, the green goblin favia, a gold hammer, a crazy insanely colored Yuma mushroom that is supposedly worth a lot of money.

Now if only things would grow so I can start fragging :)

And yet, no pics of these pieces. :)

You'll have to delete photos to fit more. OR you can use a free program like photobucket and be able to have like a zillion pictures. lol Thats how most members post their photos.

Hope that helps

Back
Top Bottom