Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

DanS Future 90 gallon reef

Well I'm in the process of planning my next tank. Won't be for awhile as me n my gf are moving as of next May so we wanna get to where were going first then start the new tank(less to take with us).

My first and main question, is it better to get a tank with built in overflows and whatnot or just a standard 90G without anything? I know nothing about sumps/overflows/refugiums so bare with me as I am a quick learner

Next question is, what size sump would u recommend? Protein skimmer? Etc.

Like I said this is going to be an ongoing project, mainly just gathering information at this point.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 09-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok guess I'll start lol I'm guessing a 29 gallon sump would be sufficient enough for a 90G or do you think bigger? I would want it to be under my tank so it would obviously have to fit. I've done some light reading on sumps and are starting to understand them a little more.

Any fellow members wanna chime in?

Old 09-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your not being ignored, I just can't help lol. I have a bio cube 29. I don't know anything about sumps, fuges etc...

Wish I had a bigger tank

Sorry bro

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
Your not being ignored, I just can't help lol. I have a bio cube 29. I don't know anything about sumps, fuges etc...

Wish I had a bigger tank

Sorry bro
Haha nah its cool man, I understand that, I only have a 29G tank as well right now
Old 09-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Built in overflow is the best and easiest. As for a refigium when you get the stand measure the area and go from there. You would want enough room to get under there for any maintence the longer the better not the higher.your doing it right taking your time to research
Old 09-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fishy
Built in overflow is the best and easiest. As for a refigium when you get the stand measure the area and go from there. You would want enough room to get under there for any maintence the longer the better not the higher.your doing it right taking your time to research
Yeah I figured built in overflows would be better but prob more expensive. A standard 90G is I believe 48 1/2 across so I guess the stand would be a lil bit bigger than that.. I figure half of that for the sump/refugium? So I give myself some room?
Old 09-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Base the size of the sump you want for how big your skimmer is and what else you want to put in it. If you want a refugium, probably need a little more space, if you want filter sock(s), that's added space, and depending on how big your return pump is (internal pump, more space in sump; external pump, more space out of it). For my 70 gallon tank I got a 55 gallon sump. 1/3 is the refugium, the section in the middle is for the filter sock, skimmer, pumps, and heater, and the last is a bubble trap and exit chamber thing to my external pump (7"). I wanted the sump to be taller than others so I could have more water in my refugium (kind of off to the side and a maxi-jet pumps water into it and the water falls over a baffle). Basically, first pick what you want in there and then choose what size will be appropriate to accommodate it. Hope to see it up and running in the future .

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say a 29 is fine. It is a 3rd of the display size. Check out some DIY refugium builds on YouTube.

I am running a 5.5 gallon sump on my 29 cube and a 20g sump on my 30 high end tank.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Interesting.. 55g sump on a 70g and a 5.5g on a 29g lol can someone explain what a refugium is? And what it does? :/ sorry in advance, like I said I'm a beginner with the big stuff lol
Old 09-29-2012, 11:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Refugium is a refuge, or safe place for macroalgae and pods to grow. Chaeto is the most popular macroalgae as it not only removes nitrates, but also is the only macroalgae that doesn't sexually reproduce, releasing toxins into the water and harming your corals. To trim it, you just rip a piece off and toss it or give it away. Chaeto and some other macroalgaes don't need special lighting, so a $10 reflector from home depot and a 6500K daylight GE spiral bulb will do. (some say the lower the K rating, the better). You can have sand in there for worms and such, or just rock rubble. Either way, it's pretty much a place for growing the things that could be eaten in the DT. Reverse lighting (having DT lights on during day and refugium light on during night) is what many people do. I forgot exactly why, but it basically balances it out. Sorry I can't remember, hope someone else knows!

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
90 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com