Darn background!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TriggerHappy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I will definetly remember this mistake for the next time I set up my tank. I waited til the tank was filled and was immovable before deciding I was gonna put a blue background on it. Well I got about 1 inch of space to try and put it on with...not an easy task, with all the air bubbles....ugh!! :evil: Any ideas out there??

[qoute]Vasaline[/quote]was this serious? I've always just hung them on the back of the tank with tape... :|

as a side note.. trigger happy.... you may find only 1" of space to be quite limitting for other things such as wiring for lights, plumbing sumps/fuges/filters etc... how far along is your tank?

mount the background to a piece of 1/8 in plywood cut to correct h and w fo fit between the molding strips duct tape the board with background to tank...just a thought.

Yes I was serious, some people swear by it, I personally have never tried it, but figured with the air bubbles comment it was something like that.

I was just using water and squeejeeing (is that a word :? ) the air with a cd case. Actually I may have about 1 1/2 or 2 inches cause I have the filter on the back. I did not think of using vaseline. Ill give it a try tonite...hmmm.

another good way to attach background is use a liquid floor wax. It drys clear and is easy to remove from glass. I use it with colored trash bags....if you leave some air pockets in the bags it adds a nice look to the background and when you get tired of it buy a different color bag!! HTH

In my FW tanks I liked to use aluminum foil ! Makes great patterns and you can mold it to look like caves and ledges too...

Yeah, foil looks nice, I used the greenish foil a few years back. Now I use corona boxes (the tank is in my bar). But i have so much algae the background cant be seen.

i was thinking about doing a background and then i had already put the filter on and all the cords were out the back i was like forget it lol

Florists have foil in all colors of the rainbow. But me, I just paint the backs with acrylic paint a couple of days before I set it up.

Be careful using water to affix the background. I did, and we have really hard water. When I took the background off, the back of my tank was covered with calcium deposits that I cannot remove. So I bought tinted plexiglass and cut it to fit inside the tank. It makes a great looking background. One word of warning - Never cut that little plastic strip that crosses the top of your tank from the front to the back in the middle. Not good.

Back
Top Bottom