Darn Peppermints!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HoCkEyGmC

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got my first coral(some green zoos), and my peppermints keep picking at it so it wont open up. Any help?
im thinking that i might be abel to teach them a lesson by getting an anemone and let em pick at it and they'll get stung?

[LEFT said:
HoCkEyGmC[/LEFT];894061]I just got my first coral(some green zoos), and my peppermints keep picking at it so it wont open up. Any help?
im
thinking that i might be
abel
to teach them a lesson by getting an anemone and let em pick at it and they'll get stung?
Thee are by far the most aggressive scavengers I own. They regularly kill small snails and hermits in my tanks. As for the
nem
, their exoskeleton should protect them from the sting. Wish I had a better answer for you.

so should i like sell em or sumthin? i got em to get rid of my aptasia but i dont want em if the wont let me have any corals. im so torn and t/o'd

I`ve never had a problem with them. I see them picking between my zoo`s and polyps all the time but only picking waste and algea between the polyps. You are not actually seeing polyps disapear are you?

none of them are opening because of them, i just got it earlier now its in my little 3 gal and even the sexy's are picking at it. it's starting to open now but i kinda wanted it in the main tank. idk what to do.

Like I said I have never had any problems with mine. Just put it in the main would be my suggestion.

so should i just let them pick at it until they get bored with it and go away? ill put it in in a little bit. im watching super bad rite now lol!

now their new thing is snail tipping they seem to be keeping their distance from the coral though. im so irritated by this. i think im going to get some kind of goby to stir up my sand bed really good. but i dont want it to put up much of a bio load and i dont want it to come out and swim in open water, just stay on sand and rocks or w/e. im also thinkin bout getting nassirius snails. (ho do you pronounce that?)

Please help, this is getting bad, im having to shew away the peppermints so they stop tipping the snails and harming them, the polyps are mostly open now. i still need info on a goby too please.

If the peppermints are fed they shouldn't be bothering the snails or anything else. If they are searching for food, they will be all over the polyps until they are clean of whatever detritus is on them, so I would think. I really don't know anyone who's had a problem with them. I would just leave them alone for a few days and make sure they are fed a bit.

thanks! i just fed them and it looks like it worked. and they're off the polyps! but what specific goby? doesnt swim in the open much, stays small, low bio load, mixes sand well.
Thanks!

What size tank? The best sifter in the business is the bullet goby. They really need alot of sand to sift. That`s all they do.

28 gallon not sure if i want 1 that gets so big though. and i spoke too soon about the shrimp tipping the snails, i just got back from getting my braces tightened and i see my skunk cleaner chowin down on my already dead snail. and my peppermints are annoying the other snails. i just fed them too!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
28 gallon not sure if i want 1 that gets so big though. and i spoke too soon about the shrimp tipping the snails, i just got back from getting my braces tightened and i see my skunk cleaner chowin down on my already dead snail. and my peppermints are annoying the other snails. WTF! i just fed them too!!!

If you didn't actually see the shrimp tip the snails over, my guess is that your snails tipped themselves over and couldn't get back upright again. Some snails do that all the time. And if you don't right them in time, they'll die. Then the scavengers (shrimp, crab, nassarius snails, etc) move in.

isnt there also i snail that is excellent at sifting through the sand i cant remember what it is called though i am going to go try and look it up

i watched the pppermint tip the dead snail to confirm that the snail didnt just tip its self. nassirius snails sift well. peppermints are starting to annoy the zoos again as well. oh, as im typing i see whats going on, the peppermints are tipping then the skunk is scaring them off and eating. i am starting to think that i want to sell them to protect my snails but i want the cleaning power. should i just get rid of some of them? i have 4 in a 28, i think that thats too many but i dont really know. arg im ticked off.:bad-words::bad-words::bad-words::bad-words::bad-words:

Back
Top Bottom