Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Buffy said:
So when you put them in, you attach them?
Re,.brain coral,...just set them in the sand bed or in the case of MY neon green brain coral I just set the base into a little rock crevice,...so far ok
....but if you were referring to the " mushrooms" then you can usually just put them anywhere low in the tank where the light isn't too intense or the flow isn't too strong,..f you have just a single mushroom than you can put it on a small indentation on a rock and they'll usually attach themselves.

Last edited:
I want to hear how the triggers do. I have had some in the past that became a problem when they got big. I really like them, just worried about the reef. There was a podcast I watched about a guy with a super dense 300 gallon, full of hard coral and he had a small trigger. I have seen them in flocks on the reef and they are obviously gnawing coral. But they may be processing algae from the rocks, not polyps. Looks like some more research is in order.
Your tank is looking great!

Gregcoyote said:
I want to hear how the triggers do. I have had some in the past that became a problem when they got big. I really like them, just worried about the reef. There was a podcast I watched about a guy with a super dense 300 gallon, full of hard coral and he had a small trigger. I have seen them in flocks on the reef and they are obviously gnawing coral. But they may be processing algae from the rocks, not polyps. Looks like some more research is in order.
Your tank is looking great!

Hey Greg,...I can only speak for my tank,..but so far the triggers have been pretty cool,...as like on the real reefs they bounce around picking at something but it doesn't seem to be the polyps or corals themselves,...in my tank they love to grab a mouthful of sand , swim around with it for a while and then spit it out,..usually it lands on top of everything and I'll have to come by with a turkey Baster and blow off the residue., but other than that MY triggers haven't touched any of the live corals themselves,...they do like to size up a piece of rock, take a bite outa it (chasing pods?)..,chew it up spit it out,...but no real damage yet.
I ( like Greg has, I'm sure). Have spent a long time watching and following triggers on the reefs just to see what they do and how they act in their natural world,... For the most part They are rather spooky and you gotta approach them slowly and cautiously ,... Once they sense that you are focused on them,. they'll sprint outa the area . Trying to get a good clear photograph of one can present a pretty good challenge in itself,...for me,..the trick is to swim parallel to them and try not to look at them directly,.. They seem to calm down after awhile when they sense you aren't trying to eat them.
I can't say what my triggers will do later on but that's my observations concerning my tank at this point in time,... Someday Greg , my tank may look as beautiful as yours, but for now now its slowly coming along,..but it's got a long road ahead of it before it'll be in that class....thanks for the comments! , Dary

I agree on the triggers. Have dove with them in the Caribbean, Red Sea and in Hawaii (huma huma). Have had them in the tank as well. They do bite! But are very intelligent, for fish. I will post a picture of a 300 pound "super male" I found sleeping in a cave during a night dive. All surrounded in his "early warning system" web.

"The rather bizarre anatomy of the triggerfishes reflects their typical diet of slow-moving, bottom dwelling crustaceans, mollusks, sea urchins and other echinoderms, generally creatures with protective shells and spines. Many will also take small fishes and some, notably the members of the genus Melichthys, feed on algae.[1] A few, for example the redtoothed triggerfish (Odonus niger), mainly feed on plankton.[1] They are known to exhibit a level of intelligence that is unusual among fishes, and have the ability to learn from previous experiences.[2][4]"

This is why you see them pooping sand on the reef, they are processing the algae and critters they get when biting off pieces of coral rock. My best guess is that it is your snails and shrimp that are on the menu, not the coral itself.

Gregcoyote said:
I agree on the triggers. Have dove with them in the Caribbean, Red Sea and in Hawaii (huma huma). Have had them in the tank as well. They do bite! But are very intelligent, for fish. I will post a picture of a 300 pound "super male" I found sleeping in a cave during a night dive. All surrounded in his "early warning system" web.

"The rather bizarre anatomy of the triggerfishes reflects their typical diet of slow-moving, bottom dwelling crustaceans, mollusks, sea urchins and other echinoderms, generally creatures with protective shells and spines. Many will also take small fishes and some, notably the members of the genus Melichthys, feed on algae.[1] A few, for example the redtoothed triggerfish (Odonus niger), mainly feed on plankton.[1] They are known to exhibit a level of intelligence that is unusual among fishes, and have the ability to learn from previous experiences.[2][4]"

This is why you see them pooping sand on the reef, they are processing the algae and critters they get when biting off pieces of coral rock. My best guess is that it is your snails and shrimp that are on the menu, not the coral itself.

Yep just too much to understand about these little guys so ,..it's off to Hawaii again in two months on another fact finding research expedition,...( vacation)....I'm sure Laura and i will be spending a day or two on the reef with them again,....tough work but someone's gotta do it.

Well today I was informed by the manufacture that my two LED light fixtures should be sent out today and to expect them to arrive sometime this week,.....i'm a little nervous about the switch over from the t5's seeing how everything seems to be growing nicely but sometimes you just gotta try new things,..... Hopefully,all my present corals , fish will adapt to their new lighting system,....I know I love the look of the LED lighted tanks, I just hope everything else does too,....I'll try and keep you posted as to the change over :)

I think you will be pleased. As we have said before, go carefully as they are quite different from T5's. If they don't work as you like them...there is EBay.

I know approximately 0 about mushrooms or saltwater tanks for that matter, but just looked at your pictures and they are absolutely beautiful! Just wanted to give you some oooo's and ahhhh's. Gorgeous :)

DrConnie said:
I know approximately 0 about mushrooms or saltwater tanks for that matter, but just looked at your pictures and they are absolutely beautiful! Just wanted to give you some oooo's and ahhhh's. Gorgeous :)

Wow!!!! Thank you.... Someday I hope to have " that" tank .

ryan-peddle said:
Yeah me to mr.can't take a compliment lol

Ryan , my boy,...thank you,...but,...in my minds eye,..my tank is about a two on a scale of ten,.....on the other hand if you would have told me a year ago that I would have a reef tank going with triggerfish and corals than I really would have thought that everyone else was on mushrooms not just me,...I just feel that I've got soooooooooo much to learn from mike,Doug, Greg and most everyone else here that I've just entered the first grade .... I hope to graduate one day but for now I've got my lunch pail, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich ,sitting on a rug and I'm just listening to all that's going on.... Thank you Ryan ,you're a good guy .

I personally think you should be very proud of what you've accomplished. Your tank looks very healthy and happy. Greg is right.. This is a very fine balancing act and you are doing things beautifully. Kudos to you Dary. You have become an inspiration!

Quite frankly, I think your ability to take your time and "learn" before you leap is one of the best things that people are taking from you sharing your experience here. Nothing good in this hobby comes quick. So the student has become the teacher and your lesson (IMO) is one of the most important.

Maya said:
I personally think you should be very proud of what you've accomplished. Your tank looks very healthy and happy. Greg is right.. This is a very fine balancing act and you are doing things beautifully. Kudos to you Dary. You have become an inspiration!

Quite frankly, I think your ability to take your time and "learn" before you leap is one of the best things that people are taking from you sharing your experience here. Nothing good in this hobby comes quick. So the student has become the teacher and your lesson (IMO) is one of the most important.

Maya,..you are a trip,...suddenly I feel like David Carradine on " Kung Fu" ,...." ....when you can take this pebble from my hand....". ( apologies to those who have never seen the old tv series " Kung Fu" ,...it was awesome and addicting) .thank you Maya ,..you are a sweetheart !

Back
Top Bottom