Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #1001
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well I think I am sold what brand name and wattage of LEDs are they?

Old 06-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #1002
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan-peddle
Well I think I am sold what brand name and wattage of LEDs are they?
I'm sure there's a ton of ones out there that'll do the job just fine and probably much , much cheaper than the ones I got,.( see Greg or Doug)... However, the ones I have are " Starks" Cree 60 watts with dimmers ,..each fixture has ten whites and ten blues LEDs @ 3 watts each...I'm running three fixtures,...so that's only a total of 180 watts for my entire 135 gal tank,..they've been going strong for a year now and although I do not nor have I ever suggested that I really know what I'm doing when it comes to the lighting aspect of this whole setup, ,I do know that most everything seems to grow very well under them,... This is what I got good or bad,..and I'm sticking with it for better or worse The three units combined were about a grand more or less at the time of purchase.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #1003
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421

I'm sure there's a ton of ones out there that'll do the job just fine and probably much , much cheaper than the ones I got,.( see Greg or Doug)... However, the ones I have are " Starks" Cree 60 watts with dimmers ,..each fixture has ten whites and ten blues LEDs @ 3 watts each...I'm running three fixtures,...so that's only a total of 180 watts for my entire 135 gal tank,..they've been going strong for a year now and although I do not nor have I ever suggested that I really know what I'm doing when it comes to the lighting aspect of this whole setup, ,I do know that most everything seems to grow very well under them,... This is what I got good or bad,..and I'm sticking with it for better or worse The three units combined were about a grand more or less at the time of purchase.
Well that's not too bad considering this build is a nano 20 gallon so I would only need one. Thanks my friend
Old 06-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #1004
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like the look of them, and you corals look great.

Do you know if they have optics on them?
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #1005
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell
I like the look of them, and you corals look great.

Do you know if they have optics on them?
Says 200 par readings for each led from 5" distance , 60 degree view angle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3985446013.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	98121  
Old 06-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #1006
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very nice, 60 would give a good spread, meaning less spotlight/laser beam, more happy corals.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #1007
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
My ecorays are 30 bulbs (had to count) and my LPS go crazy with growth. SPS not as much. But every tank is different
Old 06-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #1008
Aquarium Advice Addict

[QUOTE="Jlsardina"]My ecorays are 30 bulbs (had to count) and my LPS go crazy with growth. SPS not as much. But every tank is different[
.........................,........................ .................................................. .................................................. .....................
A couple of years ago having and maintaing a reef tank was something that I thought ( for me ) was impossible..., wow,. Somehow I've managed to make it happen,.. All the alien like equipment needed, protein skimmers,reactors etc and reef capable lighting too...so far thru a lot of research and some trial and error I'm really happy with the equipment I have gathered.
A funny thing I've noticed since I've installed my mp 40 powerhead is that every now and then and in a certain area my triggerfish will spin like a John elway spiral for a few seconds before darting off,..at first I thought something was wrong., terribly wrong,..but then I realized that he was just taking advantage of some corkscrew like currents and was having fun,...heck he's shaped like a nfl football anyways so why not act like one,...I guess even fish like to have fun once in awhile too.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #1009
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol that made me laugh pretty hard.. Triggers are my favorite fish.

I thought the same thing, i really didn't think I would ever have a saltwater tank, let alone a sps dominated tank. I thought I would have to be out of my house and most likely out of college. Luckily my parents understood how much this meant to me
Old 06-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #1010
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
A couple of years ago having and maintaing a reef tank was something that I thought ( for me ) was impossible..., wow,. Somehow I've managed to make it happen,.. All the alien like equipment needed, protein skimmers,reactors etc and reef capable lighting too...so far thru a lot of research and some trial and error I'm really happy with the equipment I have gathered.
A funny thing I've noticed since I've installed my mp 40 powerhead is that every now and then and in a certain area my triggerfish will spin like a John elway spiral for a few seconds before darting off,..at first I thought something was wrong., terribly wrong,..but then I realized that he was just taking advantage of some corkscrew like currents and was having fun,...heck he's shaped like a nfl football anyways so why not act like one,...I guess even fish like to have fun once in awhile too.

LOL Spin baby spin. hehehe

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com