Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #1011
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy

LOL Spin baby spin. hehehe
..I never had a name for him,....,but under the circumstances I think "elway" seems appropriate .

Old 06-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #1012
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've always have had a little bit of a nitrate problem in my tank and have never been able to lower it to the zero mark,...water changes, etc could never quite get it down to that zero mark,..it was never really horrible, it usually was between 1.5 - 3 ppm ,... So about five weeks ago I decided to buy a bio pellet reactor( reef octopus ) and some rather expensive pellets and try it out just to see if it actually would work,... All the videos and write ups pretty much stated to set it up like the " popiel" counter top oven,.."set it and forget it," ..... Just let it run for a month or two and that it'll take time for it to work properly.
They-also said it may cause alittle cyno build up at first but be patience that it'll eventually build up enough "BB" and that it'll kick itself in and will work as advertised,...so now after running this critter for the last five weeks ( and getting a little cyno too) my nitrates have finally dropped to zero on my last two readings,and.the little cyno outbreak is diminished to basically nothing ....so unless I'm missing something else here,..I think in my application,..the pellets are working .yea !
Everything else tank wise is humming right along without a hitch so with fingers crossed we'll see what happens next ! :-/

Old 06-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #1013
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Wow, glad you pellet reactor has worked for you! I am still waiting to see results with mine after 3 months. lol

SOunds like the tank is going along just fine these days and thats great!
Old 06-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #1014
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Wow, glad you pellet reactor has worked for you! I am still waiting to see results with mine after 3 months. lol

SOunds like the tank is going along just fine these days and thats great!
Carey,..so far so good re.bio pellets BUT it's only been a short time ,..However, once again my nitrate test was at zero this morning,.... I'm not sure if the different manufacturers of the pellets would make any difference but I'm using vertex bio pellets,...I'm sure you're prob using BRS pellets,...there's a little FAQ on the vertex site that answers ., why your system may not be working with them,.. I ordered another bubble and another hammer coral yesterday,.. First new coral introductions in months,...got my fingers crossed .
Old 06-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #1015
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I read through the faq's you mentioned and may have found an issue. I am using the brs pellets as you guessed. lol

I did not soak my pellets over night, I did rinse them but that was it. I also did not introduce the bacteria to the tank. BRS mentions you CAN add it but it does not say you HAVE to add it.

Do you think this is my problem? I also saw it mentioned about larger water changes and i usually do like 40g on my 125g so maybe that is adding to the issue?
Old 06-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #1016
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I read through the faq's you mentioned and may have found an issue. I am using the brs pellets as you guessed. lol

I did not soak my pellets over night, I did rinse them but that was it. I also did not introduce the bacteria to the tank. BRS mentions you CAN add it but it does not say you HAVE to add it.

Do you think this is my problem? I also saw it mentioned about larger water changes and i usually do like 40g on my 125g so maybe that is adding to the issue?
This bio pellet stuff is all very new to me,..but ,yes I did soak my pellets before adding them to the reactor , but imo I think that's more of getting the pellets water logged so they don't have a binding / clumping issue when tumbling in the reactor ,..I personally do about a 25 /30 gal water change weekly on my 135 ,... maybe someone who's been using them for awhile will chime in that may have an answer for you but like they say..every tank is different and what's right for one my not be right for another.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #1017
Aquarium Advice Addict

My two new corals showed up at the doorstep today,..a neon green wall hammer and a neon/ lemon yellow bubble coral with a rosy interior,..as I stated in a post above ,these are my first purchased corals after killing a few of them with MY dosing disaster months ago,...so rightly so I'm a little nervous about these guys.... Here's a little time lapse pictorial over the last couple of hours as they acclimate to the tank,...obviously they're not fully opened yet but hopefully all will go well and tomorrow when I get home from work they'll be bright and happy little guys,...I think I need a beer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2462925722.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	100114   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1669605806.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	100115  

Name:	image-2759705937.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	100116   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1952357781.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	100117  

Name:	image-2588569518.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	100118  
Old 06-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #1018
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
They look very happy to me already!
Old 06-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #1019
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice pieces Dary!
I agree with Jl, they already look like they are liking their new home.
Did you get them from Live Aquaria?
Old 06-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #1020
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlsardina
They look very happy to me already!
Thamks Jodie ,..I hope you're right,....!!!!

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Blank canvas | - »