Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gregcoyote said:
You are right grasshopper. There is much Zen in reef keeping.

Thanks Greg .....glad to see that someone out there knew what the heck I was talking about !!! Yeah,...this reef keeping stuff is a real trip,...if it was easy than who'd wanna do it ??? ..... My LED's should be here anytime now,.." on truck for delivery" ..... omg the anticipation! ... I think I'm going to need a package of " depends" .... It's getting exciting again!!

Woohoo! Our LED's should be hanging by the weekend. I know exactly what you mean. We fired them up last night in the basement... Wow! Can't wait to see your tank under these lights!

Maya said:
Woohoo! Our LED's should be hanging by the weekend. I know exactly what you mean. We fired them up last night in the basement... Wow! Can't wait to see your tank under these lights!

My LED lighting fixtures just arrived via ups.., I've gotta stop on my way home from work tomorrow and pick up some of those butterfly gizmos so I can hang the fixtures from the ceiling .., I did just hold one over the tank and plugged it in just to see what it'd look like.., well if it'll grow my coral than I'll be totally stoked !! They looked awesome... Stay tuned.........,,,,,,

Love the iPad shot, it's what I am writing on now...
That looks like a nice fixture. How does it compare to your old lights in general as to brightness, by your eye?
Don't be surprised if your beloved mushrooms shrink in size. This is well documented and most consider it happens because there is so much more actual PAR at depth that the mushrooms are happy at half their old surface area. I have probably started with 150 mushrooms and when the LEDs were installed they got much smaller, the ones in direct light. But then they all filled in with little ones, so now I have uncountable numbers.

Gregcoyote said:
Love the iPad shot, it's what I am writing on now...
That looks like a nice fixture. How does it compare to your old lights in general as to brightness, by your eye?
Don't be surprised if your beloved mushrooms shrink in size. This is well documented and most consider it happens because there is so much more actual PAR at depth that the mushrooms are happy at half their old surface area. I have probably started with 150 mushrooms and when the LEDs were installed they got much smaller, the ones in direct light. But then they all filled in with little ones, so now I have uncountable numbers.

The two things that I really liked about this particular unit was the fact that it does hang from the ceiling so you can pull it back away from the tank to reduce the overall brightness and the number one thing was the fact that you can dim both the blue and the white bulbs individually so you can actually create the light you want ,..from full on to totally off or anywhere in the middle ,...I'm sure I'll be playing around with the settings to find my tanks sweet spot over the next week or two ,.... It's going to be interesting ,...I'll keep ya posted...got my fingers crossed.

Congratulations!!!!!!!! I'm jealous LOL. Hope everyone in your tank shows you just how appreciative they are :)

Gregcoyote said:

Thank you Greg,... Great looking mushroom fields,.... You've left me a rather high mark to shoot for but maybe in a year or two I may have caught up a stride or two on ya,..thanks for the inspiration ,..... On a side note,...I did set up my LED's today after work,....the fish seem to be kinda fascinated by the change,....they seem to be cruising a little more than normal,.... I just have to give it a few days to see how things shape up coral wise ,... So far she looks good.

Buffy said:
Congratulations!!!!!!!! I'm jealous LOL. Hope everyone in your tank shows you just how appreciative they are :)

Nothing to be jealous about Buffy, it's just a light fixture that I wanted to experiment with ,..on the other hand,..you are doing wonderful,...it's a little hard at first getting everything going in the right direction,... Just take your sweet time ,...there's no need to hurry with this adventure,..Slow and steady wins the race,...it's not a competition to see who can stock their tank the fastest etc,....just know your limitations,...the standard rule is to let your tank settle in for six months to a year BEFORE you start adding corals ,....before you know it YOU are going to be showing off your beautiful tank to everyone here,...I truly appreciate your comments,..thank you !!

Your stuff is looking great. I emphasis that what I am showing is almost 20 years old now. A lot of stuff can grow in that time. And with many "remodels" it is getting back to it's glory days. We considered tearing it down a few years ago, because it isn't a lot of work, but it has to be done like clock work and my wife and I were mixed about our feelings about it. As it turned out, the prospect of extracting it from the house and parting it out was such a horrible though, we dove back into it's rehabilitation. The mushrooms lived thru the best of times and the worst of times.

Dary. First off not to sound rude but your like a good looking female who is always saying their fat.. your tank is a goal we all have in mind when we get onto this hobby.. you have it... its a beautiful setup job well done you may not know all the ways of the jedi but your on the right path.. job well done amigo.

Gregcoyote said:
Your stuff is looking great. I emphasis that what I am showing is almost 20 years old now. A lot of stuff can grow in that time. And with many "remodels" it is getting back to it's glory days. We considered tearing it down a few years ago, because it isn't a lot of work, but it has to be done like clock work and my wife and I were mixed about our feelings about it. As it turned out, the prospect of extracting it from the house and parting it out was such a horrible though, we dove back into it's rehabilitation. The mushrooms lived thru the best of times and the worst of times.

I'm still truly amazed that I've gotten this far,...I know I've got a long road ahead of me and a lot of learning to do along the way,...but listening to you guys I know that thru a lot of hard work that it can be done,...it still fascinates me that we can actually have a living reef in our living room,...totally amazing!!! .... But I'm still amazed every time I see a jet aircraft take off too,.. :- /. There's So much to see and so many brains to pick ...I'm just happy and proud to be here among you guys.

Dary421 said:
I'm still truly amazed that I've gotten this far,...I know I've got a long road ahead of me and a lot of learning to do along the way,...but listening to you guys I know that thru a lot of hard work that it can be done,...it still fascinates me that we can actually have a living reef in our living room,...totally amazing!!! .... But I'm still amazed every time I see a jet aircraft take off too,.. :- /. There's So much to see and so many brains to pick ...I'm just happy and proud to be here among you guys.

Dary,quit being so modest,anyone with the patience to keep Parrots is going to be good at all things.

jsmith said:
Dary. First off not to sound rude but your like a good looking female who is always saying their fat.. your tank is a goal we all have in mind when we get onto this hobby.. you have it... its a beautiful setup job well done you may not know all the ways of the jedi but your on the right path.. job well done amigo.

Thank you,...( I think) :- ) ,... I don't know how many of you guys have ever been to Maui and have taken " the road to Hana ".... it's not that Hana is all that special of a designation ,..but rather it's the road TO Hana,.that's so amazing ,... that's how I view this aquarium build,..I don't think I'll ever really be truly satisfied in what I've done ,because there'll always be room for improvement and changes to do to make things better,..but to me it's all about the ride to get there,... And I've just buckled up and started the journey,... I truly appreciate your insight and comments,....aloha

I didn't know you had parrots too. Only crazy people live with live parrots! It's worse than having 20 cats.
My 28 year old Blue and Gold McCaw, Simon agrees. And his Senegal grey buddy agrees as well. He is sitting on me sqauking as I try to type this. Fins and feathers go together.

Gregcoyote said:
I didn't know you had parrots too. Only crazy people live with live parrots! It's worse than having 20 cats.
My 28 year old Blue and Gold McCaw, Simon agrees. And his Senegal grey buddy agrees as well. Heis sitting on me squeaking as I try to type this. Fins and feathers go together.

I have a lilac crowned amazon greatest bird in the world..

Ricksreef said:
Dary,quit being so modest,anyone with the patience to keep Parrots is going to be good at all things.

Yeah maybe but I don't have any parrots,...just a terrier, fish and a great girl friend ( ..But That's where the patience may come in :-/ ). ...

I would enjoy my birds more if I were partially deaf (just a joke...) but I could still watch the fish and when my McCaw decided to do his turbojet engine imitation, I could just smile ;-) FYI, buying a pet that is going to outlive you and your next of kin is a humbling responsibility. I got Simon about the same time I started reefing when he was a chick. But I guess there is no reason our corals can't outlive us as well. There is no expiration date on them.

Back
Top Bottom