Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think there are several that won't be bothered by the trigger. I assume this is not a coral tank because of the presence of a trigger. The Foxface would be among my first choices. Brissle tooth or Kole tang would be another choice. I don't think a trigger would bother a lawnmower blenny. Anything like a urchin or snail would be lunch.

But in the end, depending on a fish or CUC to eliminate algae is a waste of time. They can keep it cropped down, but they just recycle and add to the nutrients that grow the algae in the first place.

I have seen Foxface bullied on more than one occasion. They are a peaceful creature IME. I have never seen them getting a reprieve from aggression because they have a toxin in their fin. that's all I'm saying. You can embrace the copied and pasted text from Live Aquaria if you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well we got a few weeks to decide on just what tang to go with,..obviously ,( or maybe not ) this'll be the only tang in the tank with the trigger,..yes Greg ,the tank has lots of coral but the trigger has never bothered any of it, there's a couple f rocks that seem to like having algae grow on them when 95% of em are rather bare ,... When I had my yellow tang a couple of years ago mr trigger for the most part did not bother it too much but whenever I put a piece of nori onto a clip he would charge the clip and take 99% of it just to prevent the tang from getting any !
LA like any other site IMO is merely suggesting a rather broad opinion on fish behavior and temperament ,.. Like any other advice it's not written in stone and should always be taken with a little grain of salt,.As they say, ".your milage may vary."
I do know that whatever tang I decide on it'll be a little bit on the larger size just to maybe detour mr trigger ,....about 10 more days until Hawaii ,..maybe I'll decide one day while watching them cruising around the reef ,...as stated earlier , there's some pretty cool ones to chose from,..decisions,decisions :). Thanks for all the advice ,..keep it coming please!

Foxface can certainly be timid. Thank heavens for that because an aggressive one could do you some damage. But I think the body shape is different enough the trigger "might" ignore him.

I generally agree with LA and think you've gotta start somewhere when making live stock recommendations. There are always the exception to the rule, but a little cross referencing of any topic on the web is the only way to derive a consensus and maybe the truth.

Hawaii sounds really good!

Dary,

I have been having a ball with a well known reefer who's tank is now over 40 years old. Paul B is a really clever guy and I think you would find commonality with him. He's on many forums but I'm chatting with him on Reef2Reef.com. It's a long thread. He has come up with many ideas over the years. I am pretty sure Doug would also agree with him on most things if he doesn't already follow him. He is the ultimate in keeping it simple. I'm kind of inspired by him.

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1795237

Last edited:
I recall the tank. I remembered it as soon as I saw the beer bottles and cans around...lol. Not my cup of tea, but still pretty awesome at 40.

He's having the same effects feeding live foods I saw in my FW hatchery. If you want crazy healthy, spawning fish, feeding live does the trick. I'm not into the bottles either, but he's a Long Island diver, so he's seen his fair share of bottles on the bottom. I thought you would appreciate how pared down he has his system.

Last edited:
Hope Hawaii was awesome. Looking forward to seeing update pics!

Hawaii was wonderful!!!! .... Tank on the other hand is a mess,... Lost some corals,.. Including my large Martian and some assorted hammers,... Other coral seemingly doing well,.. Nice outbreak of green hair algae,... I'm doing what I can to get things back to normal.,
We spent a couple of days at " two step" snorkeling as usual and it's really really amazing to see all of our aquarium fish in their natural habitat ( for those of you who may not have had the opportunity to see it live and up close ,..it's highly recommended ) the first day we were there the conditions were not ideal but nevertheless , it was fantastic,...a couple of days later things settled down a little and it was so much fun cruising around watching all the critters going thru their normal routines.
My girl friend Laura has always dreamed about " swimming with the dolphins " and she got her wish on day two,..to see the smile on her face when she got out of the water was priceless,....all in all it was a wonderful adventure.
I took a few pictures of some yellow tangs just to show you that they do love to stick together on the reefs,.... I can't wait until we can revisit the islands again,...donations gladly accepted :)

Attachments

• image-3083920296.jpg
    image-3083920296.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 147
  • image-2441275099.jpg
    image-2441275099.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 145
  • image-633828993.jpg
    image-633828993.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 162
  • image-1854970061.jpg
    image-1854970061.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 130
  • image-2559346278.jpg
    image-2559346278.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 143
  • image-1422835138.jpg
    image-1422835138.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 148
  • image-1083850111.jpg
    image-1083850111.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 137
Nice shots Dary, I also like the usual suspect, the parrot fish. Sorry about the tank decline. My glorious mushroom collection is fading as I concentrate more on LPS and SPS. Things change.

The dolphins experience is something my family has gotten to enjoy, even wild ones on dives. You can't be in their presence without it changing you a little. Same with whales. Really neat she got some up close time. They seem to enjoy it as much as we do. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397871771.292096.jpg

Glad your home.

Last edited:
My dream is to see fish in the wild they were awesome pictures. Thanks

It's really kind of laughable when there's big arguments wether a tang or whatever should live in a 75 or a 100 gallon tank,.... To see them in the wild ( along with all the other fish we have ) you'd swear that nothing under 500,000 gallons would do!!! It's a real reality check,..it's like keeping a eagle that's used to soaring thru the grand canyon In someone's living room ,. As Jed clampet would say " pitiful,...just pitiful! "..., but we're all guilty to some degree.
If you ever get the chance to go see 'em in their natural habitat please do so its mind boggling!!!! I'm sure Greg would concur ,... The bigger the tank the better

Do their behind the scene tour. They have some mighty big protein skimmers. And a great jellyfish display.

As Dary said, diving (scuba or skin) does give you a different perspective on the fish we love. I don't regret housing some things as I have done my best to give them a long and interesting life. But I do regret the animals I went thru to get here. I guess that's what drives my desire to propagate corals. Trying to atone for my sins?

In some parts of the world there is no need for diving gears to see the sea creatures. That is if you can hold your breath as long as you can. Back then I happen to be at the southern part of Jeddah in Saudi Arabi and we found some small patches of reef that were still untouched. The rocks were very stiff down just a few meters from the shore line. No diving gears and just a few feet below I have seen all kinds of fish I have never seen before. I wish I had an underwater camera. All I had was my memory. Somehow, that memory is reinforced by my reef keeping. It is relaxing and keeping you away from stress in life when close to nature.

In some parts of the world there is no need for diving gears to see the sea creatures. That is if you can hold your breath as long as you can. Back then I happen to be at the southern part of Jeddah in Saudi Arabi and we found some small patches of reef that were still untouched. The rocks were very stiff down just a few meters from the shore line. No diving gears and just a few feet below I have seen all kinds of fish I have never seen before. I wish I had an underwater camera. All I had was my memory. Somehow, that memory is reinforced by my reef keeping. It is relaxing and keeping you away from stress in life when close to nature.

Yep,..I agree,..it's a wonderful hobby 99% of the time ,but when things start to go a little sour in your tank it become very stressful trying to rectify the situation,..it's great that you got to do a little reef viewing , I think that one of the biggest draws for me going to Hawaii each year,
High fives go to individuals like Doug,mike and Greg ( among others ) who have managed to keep their tanks and enthusiasm up for so many years , it always appreciate their inputs on things ,...BUT today is my 62 nd birthday and I'm planning on sitting outside with my feet up and just watching the world go by,... I think I deserve that today., cheers all !!!!

Back
Top Bottom