Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a huge banded that I thought died several years ago. He made a brief appearance last night. He is now even bigger. Amazing he could stay hid that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So no issue with banded killing other shrimp? I'm hesitant adding skunk shrimp to my tank because I hear the banded are aggressive towards other shrimp. And I don't want to get rid of my banded.

I'd love to add another banded shrimp but " they" ( whoever they are ) advise that you should only keep one in a tank unless they're a mated pair ,.. I have a tiny peppermint shrimp in there somewhere but haven't seen him since I put him into the tank.I'm happy with the situation as it stands right now so at this point I'm in no hurry to add any more shrimps into the system.
Greg,... When I put my banded shrimp in the tank he disappeared instantly and I never saw him for a week or two until one morning when I was headed to work (3am ) and I saw him sucked into a power head and dead,... A couple of days later after telling my gf all about it ,there he is climbing around a rock!!! ,...it was its molt that I saw attached to the powerhead,...we now know where it hides so we can always shine a light thru the rocks to find him,...amazing little guys,.... Tiny body's but huge antennas and claws,....amazing that they could hide anywhere . Ps. Loved your story of your star fish,...well written, and gave me a big laugh!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Everything tank wise is progressing nicely as I continue my everyday snails pace dosing of alk etc trying to get all my parameters back in check ,.. The color and growth of the corals the last few weeks have become quite noticeable if not amazing., nice to know that I'm on the right track with things.
I ordered a "next reef" reactor for my carbon replacing the brs reactor that I was never too fond of ,,it should be here sometime early next week. I plan on utilizing the same throttled down mag pump that powers my gfo reactor by installing a " y" fitting with separate little ball valves to adjust the flows.,.. It'll rest inside my sump also taking out any worries of leaks .
I've purchased a few new corals including another beloved " Martian" coral that replaces the ones that were killed thru my own fault a few months back., so far she looks gorgeous ! ( fingers crossed !) I also have a acropora and a birds nest that will arrive this coming Tuesday from live aquaria and will take their place among a bald spot on a rocky shelf.
It's also time to replace the filters on my brs " Spartan" RODI unit ,..for those of you that have actually followed this thread know the troubles I had getting everything operating without leaking horribly,.. I'm not looking forward to this undertaking at all ., maybe a cold one or two may help soften the blow (?)
School's still out on wether I like the Hanna testers or not.,I do like the digital Print outs but they always seem so far off from the Red Sea / salifert test kits that I use. I'm not sure if I truly trust their readings or not .
At work these days ( San Diego sportfishing fleet) we're experiencing one of the best tuna seasons that I can remember ,... (and I've been there for 38 years now) ... Yellowfin tuna , bluefin tuna and yellowtail continue to chew for the fleet ,.hopefully they'll continue their biting habit for awhile so we can make some money to buy more corals etc for the tank.

I have come to trust my Hanna meters. When getting down to the low detection levels, where we should all be, I like them better.

Sounds life life is better as you can get back to your hobby.

I have come to trust my Hanna meters. When getting down to the low detection levels, where we should all be, I like them better.

Sounds life life is better as you can get back to your hobby.

Thanks Greg ,....yes , it's back to being fun and fascinating again !

Have you ever looked into SoCalAquaFarms down there (apparently near Old Town)? He sells on eBay, has some cool corals at good prices and you can pick up. I have purchased stuff three times.

Have you ever looked into SoCalAquaFarms down there (apparently near Old Town)? He sells on eBay, has some cool corals at good prices and you can pick up. I have purchased stuff three times.

Todd , thanks for the tip ! Just a couple of miles from the shop and a mile from from my lfs !!

Look them up on eBay and Facebook. I win auctions from time to time and he ships to me in Palm Springs and he only charges like $10-15. I've never been, but he said I could come by when I am around. I think it is an "out of home" setup, or something similar. If you are ever up around Vista, you've gotta check out Reefers Garage. He has an insane amount of corals. I've been there a couple times, he is a good guy too and has good prices.

A little update ,... All livestock and corals doing very well I'm happy to say ,... I decided to switch up salt mixes a few weeks back and as a experiment I'm trying out some kent reef salt in lieu of the reef crystals,... It's a little early to tell but so far so good.
Anyone who has followed this tread knows about me and my Martian corals , The replacement "Martian" coral I got a few weeks back has seemingly intensified its kryptonite like color and seems to be doing great ( fingers crossed ) ,.. They are without a doubt my favorite coral so I decided to buy the only other one I could find on the internet and with luck it'll be here tomorrow.
I also decided to switch out two of my early evolutionary ,slightly underpowered stark led pendants with two of the new razor pendants,...I plan on using one of the older units as a middle pendant with a razor on each side ,...I'll also prob utilize one of the other units as a sump / refuge unit .(?) maybe,,... They ( razors ) are on order and should be here at the end of the week.
The house that we have rented right on the kohopo tide pools just outside of Hilo was hit pretty hard by the recent Hawaiian hurricane so right now with only 40 + days to go we're on standby to see what can be done to repair the home ., and if we can use it if at all :-/. , that kind of sucks

Last edited:
I had to put a new roof on the house after a storm took out the power for three days. No new fish for awhile for me. :(

I had to put a new roof on the house after a storm took out the power for three days. No new fish for awhile for me. :(

Whoa..... That musta been a heck of a storm !! Did you have a back up generator to power up the tank ?

We had a 80mph vertical gust that knocked the stuffings out of our town. Yes, the old generator ran for three days.

Been a good year for storms, that's for sure. We had a tornado by me and we haven't had one since 84... That and several other microbursts. Glad no one is hurt, that is what is really important. You and those chalices!

We had a 80mph vertical gust that knocked the stuffings out of our town. Yes, the old generator ran for three days.

Did your wife let the " old generator" ( :) power up anything else besides the fish tank ?

Been a good year for storms, that's for sure. We had a tornado by me and we haven't had one since 84... That and several other microbursts. Glad no one is hurt, that is what is really important. You and those chalices!

I agree that the weather has been one for the books.... As long as no one gets hurt ,the fish tanks are and sound , the beer remains ice cold than we all can come out to fight another day !!!

Back
Top Bottom