Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Doug ,.. I'm a ways from fragging anything in the tank right now ,.. I'm just trying to keep things looking good as they are ,.. Patience my boy patience

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

We took the day off Monday and my usual group of fishing buddies the " bow boys" chartered out our favorite boat from where we all work and headed south over the border and had a blast catching yellow tails all day long , the fish were running between 10-25# and we had full limits for every buddy on board ,... Now I mention that for a reason,.. The method we use to catch the yellowtail is called "yo yo fishing"...,it's were you drop down a heavy jig , hit the bottom and then you start reeling very fast for about 30 feet or so ,if you don't get bit you drop back down and do it again ,( normally you'll get hammered within the first few cranks off the bottom ) through out the day my buddies kept coming up to me with little pieces of coral , rocks, sponge looking things ,little kelp encrusted stones complete with serpent stars and other critters which were pulled up from the bottom wanting to know if I needed them for my tank , granted that I was tempted a few times but seeing how the fish were biting and the ice cold iPA's were flowing at the same pace I reluctantly had to pass.
One of these days I'm going to try and establish one of these little coral encrusted rocks into my tank just to see if they'd actually survive the different conditions . All in all it was a well needed and deserved escape from the outside world .

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414019281.571504.jpg here's a picture of me and karen our deckhand/ owner and my biggest yellowtail of the trip that I had mentioned earlier,...for those not acquainted with them ,they are a member of the " jack" family and are a close relative to the east coast ( and parts if the west coast too ) amberjack,... Notably ,pound for pound one of the toughest fish around, and a very powerful adversary on rod and reel.
Can't wait to rest up and try it again soon.

Nah,..gave all five of em away,... Catching yellowtail is part of my job description but eating them isn't :-/

Awesome fish Dary! Has to be pretty cool seeing some of the things that come off of the bottom too.

Awesome, and brutal. We spend countless hours and dollars trying to keep marine life alive in our tanks, only to savagely slaughter them out in open water....lol.

It attacked me first ... I was merely defending myself.. Lol... Yup it's a little ironic ., especially for me and what I do for a living

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A large AJ will spool you quickly. I am sure that yellow tail wore you out.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414108980.446944.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414109002.641190.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414109022.785846.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414109038.729330.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414109051.059635.jpgjust down loaded a few pictures from my last Hawaiian snorkeling adventure I'll add a few here

Wow!!! That's amazing sir. Looks like the water needs a little activated carbon lol. So jealous.

That's how I remember it. Might go back there this winter. What the area lacks in corals it more than makes up for with lava formations and crazy beautiful fish. When you see the full size natural specimen, like the Huma triggerfish, you kind of get why larger aquariums are in order. Nice shots. Have you ever tried scuba?

Last edited:
Wow!!! That's amazing sir. Looks like the water needs a little activated carbon lol. So jealous.

Lol , yeah but Don't mistake cloudiness for depth,..in most of those pics the bottom is 20-60 feet below you and the coral formations you see are Volkswagen sized or larger .., a remarkable place to snorkel but a little intimidating too,..we were up against a pretty good swell which I assume was kicked up by a typhoon way off to the west which did play havoc with the clarity.
It's addicting as you know what ,..I can't wait to go back and do it all over again,..glad you enjoyed the pictures.

Also, anyplace that has these and whales is a very cool place.

Stock photo

Hawaii is a great place to see the big critters as well. These guys are like small aircraft underwater.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414131648.443294.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom