Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #1201
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's been rather uneventful tank wise around here,..nothing really going on of note ( ... No news is good news)... But my brother al from Florida is out here for a mini vacation and he spent a hour or two to revamping how my tank receives its electricity,... He moved and added new outlets closer to the tank ,... It'll be a lot easier to plug things into a generator if and wen I lose power again....much cleaner looking and I'm sure safer too!!! Nice to have someone in the family who understands how to do these things....thank you al !!

Old 08-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #1202
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sweet Dary! How are those Martian Corals doin?

Old 08-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #1203
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66
Sweet Dary! How are those Martian Corals doin?
The Martians are doing great,..quite the conversation piece, they really brighten up the neighborhood ...the plate coral I originally purchased with the first Martian coral has been getting bigger and bigger,..tentacles are from a inch to two inches in length now,...really blew me away.
It's been really hot ( 95-100 ) and very humid out here in the inner section of San Diego for the last week or so,.. Boy am I ever glad that I bought my cooler for the tank and extra adult beverages for us to enjoy.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #1204
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421

The Martians are doing great,..quite the conversation piece, they really brighten up the neighborhood ...the plate coral I originally purchased with the first Martian coral has been getting bigger and bigger,..tentacles are from a inch to two inches in length now,...really blew me away.
It's been really hot ( 95-100 ) and very humid out here in the inner section of San Diego for the last week or so,.. Boy am I ever glad that I bought my cooler for the tank and extra adult beverages for us to enjoy.
Awesome, i expected as much from you man.

I was going to say! That heat must be killer. I know its terrible up here in the OC
Old 08-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #1205
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Awesome, i expected as much from you man.

I was going to say! That heat must be killer. I know its terrible up here in the OC
Even brother al ( from Florida) says this weather sucks,... Hopeful all of our tanks will go thru this unscathed !! .... I just discovered that " my cooler" is dangerously low on beverages ,..so I guess there's an up coming run to the 7-11 soon. ,...wishing you the best !!!
Old 08-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #1206
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, your tank sounds great right now, how's the trigger? I have to live my dream of keeping a trigger through others tanks

I was thinking, why cant people just cool their tank with their refrigerator? I don't know how it would work, but it seems easier.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #1207
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell
Wow, your tank sounds great right now, how's the trigger? I have to live my dream of keeping a trigger through others tanks

I was thinking, why cant people just cool their tank with their refrigerator? I don't know how it would work, but it seems easier.
Hey there!! .. Mr trigger is doing nicely.., I found a loose sand crab this am and tossed it in the dt,..that took about three seconds before he tore it up!!! ..... Re.the coolers,..I think it's all in how the temp is regulated ,..your little home refrig or even the larger refrig ,keep the temp at around 40 * +- ,.even if you could hook up some kind of coils for the water to run thru to be cooled eventually your tank would end up at that temp. ,..the aquarium cooler only start its cooling process once your max preset temp is reached and shuts off after it cools the tank down,.. Saves a lot f energy that way and realistically it'll prob do a 100% better job of it....I'm sure there's guys out there that had an old bar refrig that they've converted thru trial and error,..but for me,.. I'm happy with what I got.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #1208
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh yeah, that makes sense. Maybe a temperature valve could work, put one of them on that shuts the power to the pump off and on, keeps the tank at the perfect temp, although I dont even know if there is such a thing as a temperature valve lol.. And I'm happy the trigger is doing well for ya.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #1209
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

There are, many hot tubs have a continuous flow and diverts the water into the heater core when the temp goes down. More efficient way to engineer a system like that. Usually built into the heater core, it uses a automotive type thermostat to divert the water.

There have been several guys that wound their own heat transfer coils and used a bar fridge (or at least the compressor) to build their own chiller. Most modern chillers use a titanium coil as plastic or acrylic doesn't transfer heat well.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #1210
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a feeling that would be for really big tanks, I don't see it being cheaper than buying a premade one.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Blank canvas | - »