Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #1241
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
needmorecowbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,638
Lol canopies shouldn't really be that fancy, if you make it too fancy it takes away from the tank. I wouldnt change it much, but thats just me.
__________________

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #1242
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
barterking85's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post
Ryan,...If memory serves me right it's called a green mycedium chalice or something like that,..." Martian" chalice as far as I'm concerned pretty much tells it all....be careful on that throttle ,..Sometimes things just happen too fast ... Haven't seen you around in awhile,...didn't you sell you're marine tank???

Dary i did sell my 40 gallon salt tank but i have upgraded it to a 45 bow front i am gonna look into that coral its a beauty. Yeah i know i am safe on the water but when you upgrade from a 14.5 foot sunray with a mercury twin 35 to a 18 foot bowrider with a 200 merc you have to see what it will do or why upgrade right lol? no worries i only hammer down in open water with no boats or nav buoys in sight.
__________________

__________________
My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my aquarium gear for what I "SAID" I paid for it.
Ryan
barterking85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #1243
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dary421's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego,ca
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan-peddle

Dary i did sell my 40 gallon salt tank but i have upgraded it to a 45 bow front i am gonna look into that coral its a beauty. Yeah i know i am safe on the water but when you upgrade from a 14.5 foot sunray with a mercury twin 35 to a 18 foot bowrider with a 200 merc you have to see what it will do or why upgrade right lol? no worries i only hammer down in open water with no boats or nav buoys in sight.
Hey Ryan,... Im Glad you didn't abandon the salt water world...I'm sure you'll get that new tank up to snuff in no time at all,..be careful on that new hot rod ,..you're not as young as you used to be .
__________________
Dary421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #1244
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
barterking85's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post
Hey Ryan,... Im Glad you didn't abandon the salt water world...I'm sure you'll get that new tank up to snuff in no time at all,..be careful on that new hot rod ,..you're not as young as you used to be .

thats what iam hoping its coming along i just ordered a metal halide light i only abandoned the t5 so that should show a big difference from what i hear. No worries about the boat most of the time my wife and son are onboard so i take it easy we all went tubing today what a blast. How did the stand turn out after the new coat of paint?
__________________
My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my aquarium gear for what I "SAID" I paid for it.
Ryan
barterking85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #1245
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,188
They sure grow corals, just watch out for the heat. Good luck!
I love my boat too.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #1246
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dary421's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego,ca
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan-peddle

thats what iam hoping its coming along i just ordered a metal halide light i only abandoned the t5 so that should show a big difference from what i hear. No worries about the boat most of the time my wife and son are onboard so i take it easy we all went tubing today what a blast. How did the stand turn out after the new coat of paint?
Girl friend loves the tank,canopy ,corals and the new paint,....and if she's happy then ,.-ah you know the story ....good to hear you're getting excited about your new tank,.. Why mh instead of LEDs ?
__________________
Dary421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #1247
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
barterking85's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post
Girl friend loves the tank,canopy ,corals and the new paint,....and if she's happy then ,.-ah you know the story ....good to hear you're getting excited about your new tank,.. Why mh instead of LEDs ?
i hear mixed reviews but the ones who say metal halide are die hard. from what i hear correct me if i am wrong its a more penetrating and spread out light apposed to leds which are more direct and no as penetrating. The one draw back is the heat and evaporation
__________________
My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my aquarium gear for what I "SAID" I paid for it.
Ryan
barterking85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #1248
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
barterking85's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
They sure grow corals, just watch out for the heat. Good luck!
I love my boat too.
i have also heard this i got my fans but do you think a chiller is overkill for the heat?
__________________
My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my aquarium gear for what I "SAID" I paid for it.
Ryan
barterking85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #1249
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dary421's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego,ca
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan-peddle

i hear mixed reviews but the ones who say metal halide are die hard. from what i hear correct me if i am wrong its a more penetrating and spread out light apposed to leds which are more direct and no as penetrating. The one draw back is the heat and evaporation
I've never ran any metal halides myself ,I went from t5's to LED's ,..I know the mh 's will do the job just fine as proven over time but heat and expense seem to be their slow demise,.... I just figured you'd probably go the led route,.. I guess it doesn't matter how you get across town as long as you get there.
I'm looking forward to seeing how everything works out or you,...everything's running fine in my tank right now ( knocking on wood ) ,...but with all this hurricane and power outages occurring lately it's got me thinking about rigging up a battery backup for a couple of my korilla Powerheads as a short term power outage precaution.,in case I'm away from my house/ generator.
So if I figure this out correctly.... Battery charger plugged into ac,..connected to motorcycle/ car battery ,..battery connected to a inverter ,.and Powerheads plugged into the inverter. Hopefully that's correct ,... And hopefully a smaller battery will run a powerhead or two for a couple of hours until power resumes. Any thoughts would be very welcomed.
__________________
Dary421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #1250
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
barterking85's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,532
that sounds fine it should run it for more then 2 hours i use a small marine battery on my boat it powers all my lights, radio, everything for 24 hours
__________________

__________________
My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my aquarium gear for what I "SAID" I paid for it.
Ryan
barterking85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Blank canvas | - »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.