Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #1261
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Well Dary, you seem to have the answers for all. The next thing you prepare for is this http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...-aquarium-leak. I can see it now- you would construct another tank outside of your tank just in case. Lol.

As usual- you are a great reefer! Always prepared!

Old 09-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #1262
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlsardina
Well Dary, you seem to have the answers for all. The next thing you prepare for is this http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...-aquarium-leak. I can see it now- you would construct another tank outside of your tank just in case. Lol.

As usual- you are a great reefer! Always prepared!
Wow,...that had to be a sight to see,..sounds like it must have been a huge aquarium.....I bet the language was very colorful that day.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #1263
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote

And remember, a pair of fairly stout wires can allow you to plug your system into your car battery. A car is better than a generator as it almost always starts and has fresh gas in it. All depends on the distance from your tank to the car.
Greg ...after setting up my little experiment I was figuring the same thing you just brought up,
Old 09-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #1264
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I work in emergency management and just finished hurricane Isaac. Generators and satellite based 911 radio systems are what I do. The best principle is to keep everything really simple and ready for use when the time comes. Generators, like lawn mowers get gummed up if stored too long and with ethanol in the gas, the jets get clogged by residue. Most can't afford diesel gensets and propane has its own issues with regulators. Inverters are pretty bullet proof and cheap. And your car is almost always ready to run.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #1265
Aquarium Advice Addict

My ups battery arrived yesterday and after charging., it powered a korilia 1050/1400 gph powerhead ( not sure what it was) for a little over a hour and a half before it rolled over and died..., still not too bad for an emergency backup when you're not at home ,... Now it's time to put everything into practice and cross the fingers and hope everything works as expected
Old 09-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #1266
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

That's a great test. What wattage is the UPS? 250, 500 or 1000? That one power head can save your whole tank. I ordered a UPS yesterday as I realized my old one was toasted.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #1267
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
That's a great test. What wattage is the UPS? 250, 500 or 1000? That one power head can save your whole tank. I ordered a UPS yesterday as I realized my old one was toasted.
Says its a 300 w/500va unit.. I would imagine a 1000 w would be terrific,....maybe somewhere down the line I'll upgrade , but for now,..this'll have to do.,...a question though,...if only this unit were to power only one powerhead would it be advantageous to have that powerhead near the surface to agitate the surface water or would it really matter,....I do have my ecotech 40 powerhead battery backup already in position ,..that ph is about a third of the way down from the top.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #1268
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I think that's good performance for a 350 watt unit. My guess on the power head is that you should aim it to get maximum flow. If you can disturb the surface, that's probably a good thing. By the way, if you don't mind it looking funky, you can jumper another battery in parallel with the first one and double your run time. 350 watt output is more than enough, you might want to just extend the units run time.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #1269
Aquarium Advice Addict

A couple of months back a web site was selling a beautiful exotic yellow hammer wall which looked simply gorgeous ,...seeing that I've kinda had mixed success with hammers ,I hesitated a bit and missed out on the sale , I promised myself that if I ever saw another one like that again I'd get it. Well today I got a email informing me that they got another one!!..I had to jump on it,.... It'll be here on Friday if everything works as planned.
Currently I have about three or four hammers that seem to be doing ok,...but I've also had a few that kinda just withered away unexpectedly also in the past,.. I'm thinking about placing this new hammer either on the sanded or close to it in a low flow area to start off with.,... I'll be heading to Hawaii on my annual aloha run in the next two weeks or so I won't be here to monitor it as I should,...I'm a little nervous about that too.
I've got my fingers crossed,...it'll make a beautiful addition to the garden if everything goes well,....I'm open for any hammer wall pros suggestions and or ideas.,..thanks, Dary
Old 09-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #1270
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421
A couple of months back a web site was selling a beautiful exotic yellow hammer wall which looked simply gorgeous ,...seeing that I've kinda had mixed success with hammers ,I hesitated a bit and missed out on the sale , I promised myself that if I ever saw another one like that again I'd get it. Well today I got a email informing me that they got another one!!..I had to jump on it,.... It'll be here on Friday if everything works as planned.
Currently I have about three or four hammers that seem to be doing ok,...but I've also had a few that kinda just withered away unexpectedly also in the past,.. I'm thinking about placing this new hammer either on the sanded or close to it in a low flow area to start off with.,... I'll be heading to Hawaii on my annual aloha run in the next two weeks or so I won't be here to monitor it as I should,...I'm a little nervous about that too.
I've got my fingers crossed,...it'll make a beautiful addition to the garden if everything goes well,....I'm open for any hammer wall pros suggestions and or ideas.,..thanks, Dary

They don't like mushrooms too close to them and mine send out 6" long stingers.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com