Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #1271
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote

They don't like mushrooms too close to them and mine send out 6" long stingers.
Greg,....where did you find the best location for your hammers,..light , flow ,depth ? Any special food you'd recommend ?

Old 09-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #1272
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I never feed my corals except once a month I put a bit of marine snow in at night for the acros. My green hammer likes to poke out of the reef, clearing the mushrooms by a couple of inches at least and out of the reach of other corals. And they need plenty of space to wave their stingers around. I will measure the PAR over them this weekend. I would say they get moderate flow and it is pretty random.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #1273
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its been 24 hours since ive added the yellow wall hammer coral... So far so good..., a couple of pictures.., from when it arrived to just minutes ago... Obviously trying to take pictures with the iphone with led lighting does not give you the true coloration but you'll kinda get to see how she looks.... I put it on the sand bed for now.., got my fingers crossed that all goes well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2885986970.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	118687   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3046862410.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	118688  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-848084543.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	118689   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1178127819.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	118690  

Old 09-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #1274
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very pretty!! I'm jealous!!
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #1275
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

That's a pretty one!
Old 09-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #1276
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell
Very pretty!! I'm jealous!!
Thanks Adam ,...and thank you for your help awhile back,...!!!
Old 09-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #1277
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
That's a pretty one!
So far so good Greg ,..it seems quite satisfied so far but like I said before ,..it's only been 24 hours :-/. I just ordered my last of the Martian corals that I've been eyeing for awhile also,...I figured if I don't get it someone else would and I'll get upset with myself for NOT getting it,...I really don't know why I like them so much but I just do,...so far my other two have shown no worse for the wear so they must be content with all the parameters that my tank's offering!..I've got a long ways to go to catch up to your tank but I'm really learning a lot along the way and enjoying the ride,..thanks for your help.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #1278
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I just got some caps from a nice gal in St. Louis a few days ago. She has a 120 gallon and the coral is growing too fast for her. Nice problem to have. One she sold me is a grape Capricornus that was as big as my hand. Got another one that is green with the florescent blue rim. They also work well with mushrooms as the areas they shade are perfect for low light corals like mushrooms. They tend to be easy to frag, like breaking off pieces of hard lettuce.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #1279
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I just got some caps from a nice gal in St. Louis a few days ago. She has a 120 gallon and the coral is growing too fast for her. Nice problem to have. One she sold me is a grape Capricornus that was as big as my hand. Got another one that is green with the florescent blue rim. They also work well with mushrooms as the areas they shade are perfect for low light corals like mushrooms. They tend to be easy to frag, like breaking off pieces of hard lettuce.
I'd love to see some pictures of'em
Old 10-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #1280
Aquarium Advice Addict

We have returned home earlier this week from another well deserved and relaxing trip to Maui,... Leaving my tank alone for ten days in the care of my brother was kind of nerve wrenching to say the least but leaving him a full diagram of all the parts and pieces and how they interact with one another and what to watch for etc seemed to calm him down alittle,...I left him little ziplock bags in the freezer with the fishes food etc to make things as simple as possible .,... All and all he did a very good job and was rewarded with Hawaiian coffee and trinkets upon my arrival back home again.
A nice glass cleaning and a partial water change took care of most of the little maintenance issues,...corals etc seem to have survived the vacation well.
We snorkeled down the southern side of Maui and despite a south swell which stirred the water up alittle we had a blast watching all the tangs ,wrasses,moorish idols ,parrotfish etc dance along the reefs,...plenty of the giant sea turtles as one would normally expect see over there and of course my favorite, the humu's were in full force too.
It's back to work tomorrow morning at 3:30 am to start raising some money for next years trip back to the reefs.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com