Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #1281
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Wow great to hear everything is good!! Your preparation seemed to be excellant too!

The waves at pipeline were supposed to hit 20-25 ft wednesday...so maybe that had somthing to do with that surge you felt

Old 10-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #1282
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66
Wow great to hear everything is good!! Your preparation seemed to be excellant too!

The waves at pipeline were supposed to hit 20-25 ft wednesday...so maybe that had somthing to do with that surge you felt
Re. swells...Thats exactly what we were thinking too... I feel a little better now knowing that everything tank wise went along without a hitch., hopefully i can retest it again next year.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #1283
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's great that everything survived the trip! Did u take any pics of the reef while you were there? And what happened to the trigger that was in the sump a while ago, I completely forget.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #1284
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell
It's great that everything survived the trip! Did u take any pics of the reef while you were there? And what happened to the trigger that was in the sump a while ago, I completely forget.
Hey Adam,...yes,, we tried taking pictures of our snorkeling adventures but because of the murky conditions as I stated earlier, the pictures weren't too much to see ( even under photoshop) too bad because we saw some really cool critters,...unfortunately concerning the picaso triggerfish that was living in the sump ... He passed quietly one day a couple of months ago due to undetermined causes ,... This little guy definitely had nine lives and used them all up.
Other than that,..everything seems to be functioning very well.
Maybe one day when i get around to it i'll post a few of the better ones anyhow just for the heck of it... It sure was nice to see God's own aquarium up close and personal again.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #1285
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421

Hey Adam,...yes,, we tried taking pictures of our snorkeling adventures but because of the murky conditions as I stated earlier, the pictures weren't too much to see ( even under photoshop) too bad because we saw some really cool critters,...unfortunately concerning the picaso triggerfish that was living in the sump ... He passed quietly one day a couple of months ago due to undetermined causes ,... This little guy definitely had nine lives and used them all up.
Other than that,..everything seems to be functioning very well.
Maybe one day when i get around to it i'll post a few of the better ones anyhow just for the heck of it... It sure was nice to see God's own aquarium up close and personal again.
Oh gotcha. Yep, I hope to see it too, but I'm worried it will change my views on aquariums too much.. In my mind, these are the two scenarios that go down.. I see a huge school tangs, and I'm disgusted with how we keep one In a 100 gal aquarium, sometimes less. Second, I see a huge school of tangs, and have a new dream of getting a tank big enough to have the same thing.. Either one wouldn't be very good lol.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:43 AM   #1286
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I feel the exact same way when diving. That's why I try so hard to not just have a killing box. I have pride in my fish being old and fat.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #1287
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell

Oh gotcha. Yep, I hope to see it too, but I'm worried it will change my views on aquariums too much.. In my mind, these are the two scenarios that go down.. I see a huge school tangs, and I'm disgusted with how we keep one In a 100 gal aquarium, sometimes less. Second, I see a huge school of tangs, and have a new dream of getting a tank big enough to have the same thing.. Either one wouldn't be very good lol.
I agree 100 %.,,,,IMO , once you actually see how the fish live on the reefs in person,,.you'll never look at the hobby agin in the same way,..i think we all strive to do the best we can regarding minimum aquarium sizes for different fish etc BUT, even using the minimum size tank rule it's not really duplicating their natural way of living.... When it comes to aquariums,.bigger is better
Old 10-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #1288
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It makes a lot of difference as to the fish itself and how it will take to aquarium life. Many of our favorite fish have tiny territories even in the wild. Some clown fish never leave about a cubic yard of water space, ever. While angels, tangs, triggers, parrot fish all are like packs of wolves roaming large territories.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #1289
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not too much going on here tank wise... Everything seems to be on automatic and for the most part running fine, I think maybe my tank has finally settled in and has found its sweet spot .,everything coral wise is growing nicely or at least hanging in there,.. Just before my Hawaiian trip a month or so ago I accidentally knocked one of my " Martian" chalice's off of its perch and it settled itself between a couple of large rocks on the bottom of the tank,..trying to retrieve the chalice without damaging it was no easy task and tragically it sustained a large scrape/ bruise on it's soft facial side which by the time I retuned back from Hawaii the damage area had turned from a neon martian green to a tannish brown color with about a two inch area of tissue loss.,. I truly thought that I was going to lose my prize ( and expensive) show piece coral,..well. A month later,you'd never know that it had ever a injury in the first place. ,the martian green color is back!! I guess under the right conditions corals do have an amazing healing ability in their own right. ,reminds me of having a large cut or bruise on your arm and slowly watching it heal.
I truly feel for everyone trying to maintain their tanks in lieu of " sandy"., I'm sure there's going to be some amazing stories of survival and unfortunately , a lot of tales of disaster,... I've got my fingers crossed for everyone and their tank mates.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #1290
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Glad to hear everything is good and your alien is doing better. Lol

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« 40 breeder reef | - »