Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #1301
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post

I don't run as much blue light so my photos seem to be okay. My Idaho grape monti cap is getting thick. It grows differently than my other caps seem to. It is my first one, so I am not sure what to expect from it. It's purple color is pretty amazing. My purple Cerealis Acropora is growing fast. It is about the size of a baseball so far. I don't intend on fragging it until it is soccer ball sized. It is remarkable after all these years to be now able to grow things like this.
Greg.., after seeing your tank I'd be flabbergasted if you COULDN'T grow one to prehistoric proportions ... I'm just hoping that my new monti will adapt to my conditions and flourish . ( fingers crossed. )

Old 12-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #1302
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell View Post
It looks awesome!!! I'm jealous.
Thanks.., we'll see how it looks in six months !

Old 12-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #1303
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

They tend to be a pretty straight forward coral, one of the easiest SPS in my opinion. The combination of flow and lighting can make them grow into very interesting patterns and I think they are gorgeous.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #1304
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well about the only real news coming out of my tank's world is the addition of a new heater and controller.... Yes, even in southern California it gets pretty cold at night and my old 300 watt heater which was more than adequate during our 95-100 + degree summer has been losing the battle with the winters cold trying to keep a stable temperature during a normal 24 hour period .
Normally I try to keep my tank at 78 degrees which is no problem during the summer :-/ but with every nite having the temperature dropping to frosty levels has cause the tank to swing a few degrees which has caused more than a little concern on my part, so I had ordered a 500 watt blueline titanium heater and controller...the complete unit was just a tad over a hundred bucks with s/ h and so far has kept the temperature stable at my desired setting.
The only screwed up thing is the digital read out on the controller has the temp reading exactly 3 degrees warmer than the tanks water actually is, I tested this by using my tanks coolers digital read out compared with an additional thermometer which both read within 1/10 th of a degree from one another,
Considering that I realize what's going on with the controllers read out and the fact that the unit seems to be keeping the tanks temperature very stable I can live with that.,..I'm sure my tanks inhabitants are thanking me in their own little way.

I know my weather here in San Diego can not compare to what prob 95% of you guys are going thru on a daily basis during the winter but I'll be more than a little curious as to what and how some of you guys keep your tanks heated .
Old 01-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #1305
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have the same problem in winter once I got rid of the MH. Running at 73 right now.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #1306
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I have the same problem in winter once I got rid of the MH. Running at 73 right now.
Wow.... That seems awfully cold,...how's your critters / corals adapting?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #1307
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

So far they don't seem to care at all. I am running over 500 gallons and have a in line heater that is obviously not cutting it.
Are you on any other forums? Want to stay in contact, but I have about had it, again, with the children on this forum.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #1308
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
So far they don't seem to care at all. I am running over 500 gallons and have a in line heater that is obviously not cutting it.
Are you on any other forums? Want to stay in contact, but I have about had it, again, with the children on this forum.
Nah,..just on this forum,..teaching isn't an easy thing Greg and Imo you are considered one of them here,..one look at what you've done over the years with your set should convince anyone of that...grab a tall cold one and hang in there professor,..glad to hear your critters are doing ok. ,.. Thanks
Old 01-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #1309
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post

Nah,..just on this forum,..teaching isn't an easy thing Greg and Imo you are considered one of them here,..one look at what you've done over the years with your set should convince anyone of that...grab a tall cold one and hang in there professor,..glad to hear your critters are doing ok. ,.. Thanks
I have tried my best to provide my insight. It makes me mad that many on this forum have 2-3 pieces of coral and are all experts. I am growing 50 different species and have been doing so longer than these newbies have been alive. Arguing the same old topics over and over again. Tangs in a nano was the last straw. Will check in on you now and then, but as for advice, no more from me. These idiots are on their own. Keep up the GOOD work Dary.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #1310
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:

I have tried my best to provide my insight. It makes me mad that many on this forum have 2-3 pieces of coral and are all experts. I am growing 50 different species and have been doing so longer than these newbies have been alive. Arguing the same old topics over and over again. Tangs in a nano were the last straw. Will check in on you now and then, but as for advice, no more from me. These idiots are on their own.
I hope you don't go, there are people who actually listen, your advice is actually seeked by most people

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Blank canvas | - »