Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My new hammer frags arrived a few days ago along with my bubble coral,... So far everything looks stable and they've all opened up fully ,have good color and are happily swaying with the current . I moved my surviving " Martian " coral to a newly install little ledge in the middle of the tank and she looks happy there so far . I'm hoping that the stability issue with the alk level is the key in keeping things going this time around,..fingers crossed :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I lost a few heads of LPS last week. Ticks me off. I can't put my finger on what happened. Water quality tests good, but several pieces are being stressed by something. It's always something. But sounds like your back in the game. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My new hammer frags arrived a few days ago along with my bubble coral,... So far everything looks stable and they've all opened up fully ,have good color and are happily swaying with the current . I moved my surviving " Martian " coral to a newly install little ledge in the middle of the tank and she looks happy there so far . I'm hoping that the stability issue with the alk level is the key in keeping things going this time around,..fingers crossed :)

Congrats Dary on the new arrivals. Will you be taking some pictures of the new guys?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Congrats Dary on the new arrivals. Will you be taking some pictures of the new guys?

Thank you , Yes I will when I'm 100 % sure they've settled in and growing as they should ,...right now I'm just watching over them like they're the "CCU" at the hospital ,...just way too early to tell how things will go yet. Fingers crossed .

Hammers are doing amazingly well but I did notice a area on the bubble coral that is rather beat up so I'm watching that closely ,.. I did purchase a coup,e of more large Mexican turbo snails which are both in my sump for now,... I have a couple in the main tank and they seem to be constantly on the move cleaning up things ,.. I ( prob along with 99% of you ). Got an email with a sale on aptasia eating nudibranches for about $20 each,... I ordered two of em for my tank and they're in there somewhere ,prob is they're only about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch long so you'll never ever see em again once they are in your tank ,... My banded shrimp went for them right away so wether they're still there or not only the aptasia knows for sure :) ,... Other than that, tank looking good and healthy :) (-:

Hammers are doing amazingly well but I did notice a area on the bubble coral that is rather beat up so I'm watching that closely ,.. I did purchase a coup,e of more large Mexican turbo snails which are both in my sump for now,... I have a couple in the main tank and they seem to be constantly on the move cleaning up things ,.. I ( prob along with 99% of you ). Got an email with a sale on aptasia eating nudibranches for about $20 each,... I ordered two of em for my tank and they're in there somewhere ,prob is they're only about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch long so you'll never ever see em again once they are in your tank ,... My banded shrimp went for them right away so wether they're still there or not only the aptasia knows for sure :) ,... Other than that, tank looking good and healthy :) (-:

Good to hear all is going so well Dary. I thought about buying some of those aptasia eating nudibranches also but was hesitant because of the size of them. Let me know if you notice a reduction in aptasia. I bought 5 of the aptasia eating peppermint shrimp. The only problem I have is that my Cinnamon Clown is herassing them so they hide most of the time. I think they do come out at night though and eat the aptasia. I have noticed a reduction in the aptasia since adding them.

Good to hear all is going so well Dary. I thought about buying some of those aptasia eating nudibranches also but was hesitant because of the size of them. Let me know if you notice a reduction in aptasia. I bought 5 of the aptasia eating peppermint shrimp. The only problem I have is that my Cinnamon Clown is herassing them so they hide most of the time. I think they do come out at night though and eat the aptasia. I have noticed a reduction in the aptasia since adding them.

I don't think that one or two of those nudibranches ( @ $20 each ) could or would make any significant dent in the average large reef tanks aptasia population merely because of their size they are just so tiny ,.. You'll never even know if they were still there or not ,..now if they were the size of a hotdog then we'd have a whole new scenario to watch. Maybe in a little tiny nano tank you might be able to keep track of em but I honestly don't see too much hope here ,... Maybe in a year from now I'll flip on the light and I'll see this giant hairy looking hotdog sized thing crawling around ,.. My mouth will drop and those immortal words will come out " what the €%#} is that?" Lol ,Then we'll know for sure that they made it ! :)
Ps. I went to ck my alk this morning using my Hanna tester and found out that I didn't have the reagent cap screwed down and all my fluid leaked into the black tray ,..I tried sucking it back using the little syringes to retest it but being exposed to the elements etc by then the reading were way off of normal .... Obviously I re-ordered some more reagent ,..lesson learned= don't do that

Last edited:
I don't think that one or two of those nudibranches ( @ $20 each ) could or would make any significant dent in the average large reef tanks aptasia population merely because of their size they are just so tiny ,.. You'll never even know if they were still there or not ,..now if they were the size of a hotdog then we'd have a whole new scenario to watch. Maybe in a little tiny nano tank you might be able to keep track of em but I honestly don't see too much hope here ,... Maybe in a year from now I'll flip on the light and I'll see this giant hairy looking hotdog sized thing crawling around ,.. My mouth will drop and those immortal words will come out " what the €%#} is that?" Lol ,Then we'll know for sure that they made it ! :)
Ps. I went to ck my alk this morning using my Hanna tester and found out that I didn't have the reagent cap screwed down and all my fluid leaked into the black tray ,..I tried sucking it back using the little syringes to retest it but being exposed to the elements etc by then the reading were way off of normal .... Obviously I re-ordered some more reagent ,..lesson learned= don't do that

Dary you are a bundle of laughs.?. I probably wouldn't see them in m system either. A hotdog size of anything would be pretty noticeable in my tanks ?. Sorry about the reagent, that stinks. I have taken rocks with aptasia out and scolded them with boiling water and then pulled them off the rock. Obviously you can only do that when they are not tucked down in the middle of your coral ?.

Dary you are a bundle of laughs.?. I probably wouldn't see them in m system either. A hotdog size of anything would be pretty noticeable in my tanks ?. Sorry about the reagent, that stinks. I have taken rocks with aptasia out and scolded them with boiling water and then pulled them off the rock. Obviously you can only do that when they are not tucked down in the middle of your coral ?.

The way my tank is setup there's no way physically possible to remove all the little monsters without doing a " fantastic voyage " scenario ( the younger people are going " huh" , "what ?" ,. It was a movie ,google it ) that's why I decided to try the nubi's ,..prob another one of my flops :-/. Btw , what's your first name ?

I have a cheap blue laser that can burn them if your glass is clean. Will send it to you if you want, but it comes with a pair of goggles and I wouldn't want anyone else in the room as you use it.

I have a cheap blue laser that can burn them if your glass is clean. Will send it to you if you want, but it comes with a pair of goggles and I wouldn't want anyone else in the room as you use it.

I'm interested but frightened

And you should be. A stray reflection at these energy levels can blind you in a instant. Lasers were my thing in college. It worries me when I see posters using them without eye protection.

And you should be. A stray reflection at these energy levels can blind you in a instant. Lasers were my thing in college. It worries me when I see posters using them without eye protection.

Yikes! I would be worried where out was reflecting off of the glass. Can out hurt your skin or just eyes?

Not much. The laser usually come from old blueray players. It can be fun burning black flies from across the room. But I never ever point it into the sky. As a pilot I know how bad that can be.

Greg, I'd be interested in trying this on the gym tank. It's got more majanos than corals. How can I obtain one of these?

The way my tank is setup there's no way physically possible to remove all the little monsters without doing a " fantastic voyage " scenario ( the younger people are going " huh" , "what ?" ,. It was a movie ,google it ) that's why I decided to try the nubi's ,..prob another one of my flops :-/. Btw , what's your first name ?

Maybe not a flop. It will just be hard to see something so small in a very large tank without the fantastic voyage ☺.
My first name is Barbara. I've been in the aquarium hobby for 25 years but just in the last 2 1/2 Years starting getting into the salty side of things. I have had a lot of help from people like Paul, sniper, seaweed, and autumn and i try to give help back when I can. Its been a blast chatting with all of you. I've learned a lot as well.

Back
Top Bottom