Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe not a flop. It will just be hard to see something so small in a very large tank without the fantastic voyage ☺.
My first name is Barbara. I've been in the aquarium hobby for 25 years but just in the last 2 1/2 Years starting getting into the salty side of things. I have had a lot of help from people like Paul, sniper, seaweed, and autumn and i try to give help back when I can. Its been a blast chatting with all of you. I've learned a lot as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Barbara., imo the " salty side " just seemingly adds soooo many more challenges than the freshwater setups.
Plus you can show off all your weird equipment as well . Protein skimmers , all the reactors etc makes one feel like you could or should be talking to Sheldon on the Big Bang theory... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a cheap blue laser that can burn them if your glass is clean. Will send it to you if you want, but it comes with a pair of goggles and I wouldn't want anyone else in the room as you use it.

I've seen them used on YouTube. They make it look so easy and they don't mention anything about safety. That's very reckless in my opinion. I would be to scared to use it myself.

Barbara., imo the " salty side " just seemingly adds soooo many more challenges than the freshwater setups.
Plus you can show off all your weird equipment as well . Protein skimmers , all the reactors etc makes one feel like you could or should be talking to Sheldon on the Big Bang theory... :)

Yes it has been challenging but well worth it. It just takes someone with a little experience to give you a helping hand. I'm sure Sheldon would have a few comments about what we do with our tanks and what we go through to make our critters happy ?. My husband and I watch that show all the time. ☺

:)

I don't know about that, you ever see all the stuff some these guys do/have to keep those awesome planted tanks looking good?
I know I have personally had more luck with saltwater than freshwater, at least planted tanks.

We'll see how well I do with corals now....:fish2:

I don't know about that, you ever see all the stuff some these guys do/have to keep those awesome planted tanks looking good?
I know I have personally had more luck with saltwater than freshwater, at least planted tanks.

That was just a generalization ., I do realize that some fw setups are pretty complicated too...., saltwater systems as a whole just boggles the mind

Not doubt there's some beautiful tanks there .... A long time ago I had a gorgeous 100 gal freshwater tank but was always in awe of the saltwater world so a few years back I decided to make the switch and have never looked back .
Either world is cool :) but I just find the saltwater one more appealing

I'm sure you will do fine. I have a freshwater planted tank and it does take some effort. Although I do need to clean it and prune some plants.? the aquarist job is never done. Its like owning a house, there's always something that need fixing tweaking or upgrading.?????☺

Thank you Greg,.... Watched a bunch of videos on em ,... Was Expecting a much higher price :-/. if they work as shown it'll be a wonderful addition
P.s. New Hanna alk regent came in and I retested my alk level and she's spot on wonderful !!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Anywhere in the blue range works fine. These are a purple color and aren't as dazzling to the eye but does a fine job of nuking about anything you hit it with. Distance, focus, tank clarity all contribute to how effective it is. It takes more power if you use a green laser because of the absorption colors underwater organics are.

The 405nm laser led concentrates a very small dot so it's energy density is higher than some others. In a perfect world you would use a C02 UV laser at about 20 watts with a visible guide laser, but that's out of most hobbyists rang, thank heavens.

Last edited:
Me too... Ordered the one Greg suggested and ordered the same one that they had featured on the u tube video complete with the metal brief case .... I'll be bopping them soon :) .. Just curious if going thru acrylic would be any different than glass ?

Acrylic can really zap the beams energy. Try it. You might have to go after them with the laser in the water if you got a waterproof one. You have to focus it to a tiny dot if you can. Be careful.

Not doubt there's some beautiful tanks there .... A long time ago I had a gorgeous 100 gal freshwater tank but was always in awe of the saltwater world so a few years back I decided to make the switch and have never looked back .
Either world is cool :) but I just find the saltwater one more appealing

I've been considering that with my 125 planted. If I do, it will be in the next 2 or 3 year.

Why wait ? Let's start the party now :)

Sent from my iPhone using. Aquarium Advice

I wish Dary. I would have to sell off all of my fish and plants first and that would take time. I would need the profits from those sales to upgrade equipment. I am seriously thinking about though.

Back
Top Bottom