Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #1351
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have the brown stuff too. My guess is its burnt calcium. It's hard and needs to be chiseled off of the reservoir. I've just did my first pwc with seachem reef salt, it didn't blow up my tank yet. I'll tell ya how it goes.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #1352
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell View Post
I have the brown stuff too. My guess is its burnt calcium. It's hard and needs to be chiseled off of the reservoir. I've just did my first pwc with seachem reef salt, it didn't blow up my tank yet. I'll tell ya how it goes.
It's weird that different salt mixes leave different stuff and colors,...when my tank was starting off a while back I was using coral life salt(?) because it was cheap and readily available ,I remember that it left behind no residue ,maybe it just didn't have enough xtra minerals to leave anything ,I'm not sure ,... My coral pro which I've been using for the last couple of years leaves a white mess that I usually scrub out after every four or five PWC's .

Old 01-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #1353
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have a big power head in the bottom of my 40 gallon tub that keeps everything moving around. Still get some white calcium precipitate.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #1354
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I have a big power head in the bottom of my 40 gallon tub that keeps everything moving around. Still get some white calcium precipitate.
I'm running two power heads in my 55 gal drum and I still get the junk,...I guess it's just the nature of the beast :- /
Old 01-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #1355
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
This is not hard brown residue I'm talking about- It's a slimy coating that ends up covering everything. Even the pump I have in the bottom of my barrel is brown if I pull it out and will make your hands brown if you touch it.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #1356
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Sounds a lot like iron. The hose in my barrel gets slimy but no color to it. Wonder what the difference is. I've used reef crystals for a long time and never noticed it.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #1357
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Sounds a lot like iron. The hose in my barrel gets slimy but no color to it. Wonder what the difference is. I've used reef crystals for a long time and never noticed it.
What's weird about this is that one person gets ugly brown slime and another doesn't ,..seemingly everyone here is using an RODI unit along with a powerhead and heater too,...maybe it's the local water being used at the time or maybe its the mixing container itself or the temperature as its being mixed....doesn't make much sense.
It'll be like everyone is given the same Box of Betty Crocker white cake mix right off of the shelf,....yours come out yellow ,Doug's comes out brown and I end up with white...must be a common denominator somewhere there causing it.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #1358
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I'm using R.O.D.I. water. My sediment filter ends up looking like this after a short time though.....

looks familiar, and I would say this is the culprit except for the fact that I fill 2 barrels up- one with fresh and the other is the mixing barrel. Only the mixing barrel has the gritty brown slime. That, and the T.D.S. of the outgoing is good also. It's definitely coming from the salt.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #1359
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I'm using R.O.D.I. water. My sediment filter ends up looking like this after a short time though.....

looks familiar, and I would say this is the culprit except for the fact that I fill 2 barrels up- one with fresh and the other is the mixing barrel. Only the mixing barrel has the gritty brown slime. That, and the T.D.S. of the outgoing is good also. It's definitely coming from the salt.
Wow,....that picture reminds me of the movie " walk the line" where Johnny cash is at San quentin and holds up that glass of yellow brown water and asks the prisoners ' you drink this s#%?" ....
Re.salt ,..so you think that maybe there's a variation from salt bucket to salt bucket that may or may not cause the " brown slime" and it's just a crap shoot as wether you get one or not ? If some people get the slime and others don't than its just nuts .
They may have to put warning labels on the salt bucks saying prolonged use of this product may cause brown slime lol
Itll prob just be another saltwater mystery gone unsolved
Old 01-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #1360
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

We have a lot of iron in our water. My sediment filter gets gooey brown on it as well. Makes you not drink tap water.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com