Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Kalk solution I made up yesterday worked wonderfully :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
A quick mix of the turbo calcium and spot injection allowed me to witness the explosion of two aptasia last weekend!(y)
Being they are both used for the same reason I guess it wouldn't much matter which you use.(calcium chloride or hydroxide)
My buddy seemed "sparked" by the laser idea and quickly mention his sons lights matches!
Thankfully he has his own reef to "experiment" with!

Thank your govt for their rules about ingredients!
I have used coral rx (to treat Brown Jelly{possibly incorrect treatment?} BUT IMO this product is snake oil like all the "Fixes"(pima fix/mela fix...)
I know many feel otherwise(I'll thank our govt for that!)

I will add IMO if they don't have to list exactly what it is then it is a product of NO consequence?Not just natural as many "natural" products must be listed for one reason or another.

Why do Companies use Proprietary Blends?
Proprietary blends exist for a few specific reasons:

• DECEPTION – When a company wants to hide a low-dose ingredient(s), they will typically use a proprietary blend. Remember, if the amount of an ingredient in a product is lower than the clinical efficacy dose then the effectiveness of the product will not produce the results shown in clinical trials.
  • Coral RX 96% WATER
  • 4% "Proprietary" ingredients?????

you are comparing apples with oranges.
the info you quoted pertains to nutritional supplements and stuff intended for human consumption which is regulated by completely different laws.
CoralRx isn't intended for consumption by anything, so even laws pertaining to pet foods do not apply.
My guess here is that CoralRx is not a technically patentable product, and even if it is, to help circumvent competition, they withhold the core ingredients.
That is a very common practice in business and is done with the intent of protecting their product, not insidiously bilking people out of their money.

The MSDS is meant to inform people and first responders to any potential hazards with a product. The mention of a "PineSol smell" is because that is something the vast majority of people would recognize a lot more readily than if they said it smelled like some specific chemical.

Sorry if info seems bunk?
Just trying to put fresh eyes to the issue.
A link on TRT says Dettol possibly being one of the ingredients in coralRX
Dettol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the link;
No idea what three things are in it, but it dose have a Pinesol Odor, and no idea on the pH level...

you can get 1oz of Tree Oil for $6 while 1oz of RX costs $20... and 96% of that is just RO/DI water, that would cost you $333 if you got 1 gallon of that RO/DI water...

just an idea....
2% Tea tree Oil, 1% Dettol, 96% RO/DI and 1% pH buffer ????
tongue.gif

Most of the posters don't share my opinion but they agree they choose not to spend their money on products that keep secrets!
They seem to believe Tea tree oil to be an ingredient(funny how I lumped the 2 products together?).But they all like it.
I did mention I may have used product in wrong application which clearly would not have satisfied me then?
Sorry if I'm crashing your thread Dary!

Not a problem ,... Let the views and ideas flow ,....it's how we figure out things and learn from them

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Got my high dollar laser from China this afternoon,... It's the same one that's featured in some utube videos,.. I was hoping it would work as well as they show in the video killing aptasia ,... So after charging the batteries I was off on my trek,... I saved a few juicy aptasia just to try this thing out when it arrived.
Initially , the unit is heavy and feels very solid ,.. It comes with 5 or 6 worthless lenses that produce frilly patterns for maybe shining on a wall or something ? The unit produces a very very strong light with out using any of the included worthless lenses . the light it does produce looks like it'll kill a cat but wiould it kill a aptasia is the question.
I used two batteries up trying to nuke a aptasia but it didn't seemed to do much to it at all,... Pretty discouraging considering one just spent $85 on a laser to make pretty patterns on a wall for a kids birthday party !
I decided to recharge the batteries and try it on aptasia #2 ,... This one was located across the tank on one of my return nozzles,... I put the beam directly on it and did not move it for about 60-90 seconds ,... I turned off the unit and the aptasia either reseeded or it was fried., I proceeded to aptasia # 3 and again left the unit on it without moving it ,... Same results as before ,... No aptasia present hmmmmmm,.... Maybe , just maybe there's a ray of light here ? ( pun intended )
I took a couple if pictures but they look nothing like you'll actually see for yourself . It's been a half hour or so since the hunt and both of the aptasia look to be about 1/10 th their original size ,.. I think I'll probably have to do a follow up but initially it looks somewhat promising for maybe those pest that you just can't reach with the aptasia x or other means .
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433969790.211975.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433969807.095259.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433969826.912751.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433969848.512564.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433969890.316007.jpg

Last edited:
I have one of these things too and it's worked great thus far. I assume you focused the beam down to the smallest point as well as shut off all your circulation pumps? You should hear a sizzle as they cook.

Update ..... After playing with this thing for awhile now and figuring out how to adjust the beam etc all I can say is WOW !!! This thing rocks!!!! I don't think there's any aptasia left in my tank !!!!! Totally cool !!!

I have one of these things too and it's worked great thus far. I assume you focused the beam down to the smallest point as well as shut off all your circulation pumps? You should hear a sizzle as they cook.

Yup,... Except for shutting down the pumps,...works great , thanks

Update ..... After playing with this thing for awhile now and figuring out how to adjust the beam etc all I can say is WOW !!! This thing rocks!!!! I don't think there's any aptasia left in my tank !!!!! Totally cool !!!

NICE!!!
The pictures look like their from James Bond ,Moonraker!(y)

Very cool. That focusing is the trick. Just remember not to point it into the sky if there is the slightest chance there is a airplane there.

Yes, that's part of it. The laser super heats the material it hits and a bubble forms. Water conducts heat 25 times faster than air, so the heat isn't stripped away by the water flow. But it also refracts the beam a little lowering delivered power. It's why we pulse them when you want to blow something up.

Back
Top Bottom