Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #1371
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I think some batches get some clay and/or iron in them. Seems many brands have this occurring occasionally.

Dary, I think you will be just fine with RC.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #1372
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
Ok guess ill chime in real quick since people are mentioning trying Kent and that's what I use. I'm at 13 months of Kent reef salt and I've had maybe 1/10 mixes end up with the Brown residue. Same batch of salt yet I've seen different results in the end and also as with everyone else this IS 0tds water. The top off container has never had this brown residue so I agree the water is not the issue. Imo, although don't know how much its worth on the subject lol. I believe that its how the salt has been mixed. The reason I say this is because I know that calcium precipitation can happen when alk climbs to fast so maybe something like the iron needs so much buffer before the water can properly hold it.
Thanks for the input.... Kind of justifies what mr. X was saying ,....has anyone noticed an increase in residue on their glass ,protein skimmers ,rocks etc when using a batch of the slimmy stuff ?

Old 01-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #1373
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
No. I haven't given up on it either, just saying what I've found. I still keep it in the rotation, however, I believe there's some nutrient in it that's unnecessary.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #1374
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well as you can see my reef crystals have arrived... Im in the process of making up about 40 gallons of rodi water... Should be up and running tomorrow ... Ive got my fingers crossed that this isn't a brown slime batch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1097984199.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	144969  
Old 01-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #1375
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I spoke with my LFS and he has not experience any issue as they use RC. I think I will contact the manufacture as I would like to know what's up.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #1376
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I spoke with my LFS and he has not experience any issue as they use RC. I think I will contact the manufacture as I would like to know what's up.
Id ( we ) would love to hear what they have to say about it.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:38 AM   #1377
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

One big difference in Reef Crystals to Instant Ocean, both made at the same plant, is the Reef Crystals contains both vitamins and a metal chelator. Instant Ocean has neither of these. The issue with brown scum seems to happen when the mixed water sits for a week or more, it allows those organics to drop out of solution making the brown gunk. The metal chelator might also contribute to the problem. So I guess the trick might be use it soon after its mixed and settled. Like maybe 24-48 hours. That might be the difference, I don't leave saltwater in my barrel, I mix it up 24 hours before I use it.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #1378
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
One big difference in Reef Crystals to Instant Ocean, both made at the same plant, is the Reef Crystals contains both vitamins and a metal chelator. Instant Ocean has neither of these. The issue with brown scum seems to happen when the mixed water sits for a week or more, it allows those organics to drop out of solution making the brown gunk. The metal chelator might also contribute to the problem. So I guess the trick might be use it soon after its mixed and settled. Like maybe 24-48 hours. That might be the difference, I don't leave saltwater in my barrel, I mix it up 24 hours before I use it.
Ah good point... Usually i make up my water after my pwc on monday and it churns in the tub until the following monday... Maybe ill try just making up my rodi water on monday and ill add the salt 24-48 hours before as you say....thanks for the tip/ advice.... A question though., why wouldn't your mixed salt do the same in your display tank also ?
Old 01-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #1379
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post

Ah good point... Usually i make up my water after my pwc on monday and it churns in the tub until the following monday... Maybe ill try just making up my rodi water on monday and ill add the salt 24-48 hours before as you say....thanks for the tip/ advice.... A question though., why wouldn't your mixed salt do the same in your display tank also ?
Good question. I would assume possible stagnation since we only have. One pump in the bucket, where our tanks have chaotic changing flow patterns. Though this is a stretch often imagination. All I know is that I mix my batch up 24 hours before the change and don't have this build up in my bucket.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #1380
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I mix and use my water within 24 hours. This brown stuff is noticeable immediately after mixing.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com