Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Getting back to the rodi canisters that no one can seem to break apart once they've been tightened up , I decided that there has to be something out there that can help. If you've tried loosening up a severely tightened one while it's still attached to its mounting bracket either the mounting bracket itself bends way too easily or your wrench breaks.,or the person ( wife / gf) trying to hold the canister gets its wrenched out of their hands and they get pissed off and leave.
My OLD "Spartan" canisters were no exception, what a totally disaster trying to get these things NOT to leak , and I mean these things didn't just leak they flowed so one had to over tighten them to work. I've read soooo many posts on aquarium forums about the same problem that people have had trying to loosen these up to change the filters.,Yes they are suppose to be just HAND TIGHT in the perfect world ,but here's what I came up with that maybe will help some body that has all but thrown in the towel . First off the problem seems to how do you hold the canister securely and still apply enoughImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434585331.030812.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434585363.114777.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434585426.900971.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434585445.268939.jpg pressure with the wrench ? The whole canister wants to move and you basically get nowhere . Pity the poor individual trying to hold the canister while someone else is trying to loosen it up using the wrench.
I made this rig using a single 8 foot 2x4 and a couple of metal brackets and a couple of pieces of junk lumber .. First you'd take the canister out of the rodi mounting bracket and screw out the two fittings that hold the john guest fittings ,... I bored two holes thru the 2x4 near the top of the rig and ran a corresponding size METAL pipe fitting thru the holes and screwed them into the the black top part of the canister ( in my case I used a 4inch long x 3/4 " threaded galvanized pipe and cap ) which cost about $ 2.50 on each side ) , next it's a simple task to merely attach the wrench ,step on the platform and wrench away,... The rig works wonderfully well for those incredibly stuck together canisters ,... The canister is held firmly and one can apply a lot of torque to the wrench by himself and loosen the canisters .the cheap plastic wrenches that come with the units are kind of junk and break easily and their short handles doesn't give one a lot of leverage when using them, there's a lot of metal wrenches with long handles out there which takes out a lot of the work involved , they run from $10-$25 and they'll last a lifetime .

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434585547.840710.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Its coming along nicely. I have moved some corals from my tank at work into the 40B at home. I plan on bringing a couple more home this week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its coming along nicely. I have moved some corals from my tank at work into the 40B at home. I plan on bringing a couple more home this week.

Wow most folks merely take home a company ink pen or a scratch pad but you raid the tank and take home corals !! Lol,... Nice :)

Without the wrench BRS supplied I would have a heck of a time getting my reactors off.

They make a handy wrench, like a big pair of vice grips that will overcome the tightest of screw on housings. Most Ace Hardware carry them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wow most folks merely take home a company ink pen or a scratch pad but you raid the tank and take home corals !! Lol,... Nice :)

Yea I actually have two tanks at work that have lots of ZOA's in them and a few other corals also.☺

They make a handy wrench, like a big pair of vice grips that will overcome the tightest of screw on housings. Most Ace Hardware carry them.

If all else fails goes with an oil filter wrench... if that fails take a hammer to it! :D

I pretty much had tried almost every suggested remedy trying to get some of these canisters apart including a suggested assortment of oil filter wrenches, vice grip like wrenches, strap wrenches etc,.. the only thing that worked for me was the metal water filter canister wrenches ( pictured earlier ) with the longer than average handle ,... All I had to do was just design something to hold everything safely,steady and securely while you put butt puckering pressure on the wrench .... ( of course my canisters were extremely tightened ) , the average hand tightened canisters I'm sure would loosen just fine with the supplied plastic wrench.

Makes you wonder what other functionality has disappeared. ?

I guess we'll find out shortly :-/ ,.... Hopefully they've sorted out the mess and we can move on like it used to be

Got the laser, it's identical to yours. It blows holes thru cardboard boxes pretty fast. My old acrylic aquarium is spreading the beam too much. Did you cutoff all flow before you got yours working?

Got the laser, it's identical to yours. It blows holes thru cardboard boxes pretty fast. My old acrylic aquarium is spreading the beam too much. Did you cutoff all flow before you got yours working?

I wear protective glasses with mine and angle it diagonally through the glass/acrylic. It's attached to a DIY tripod. My laser is a little upgraded. You have to buy it piece by piece so it's legal. No one/pets in room with me while using. Careful lasering ;)

I didn't cut off flow with mine but I'm sure it'll prob be better (?). Your glass ( acrylic ) maybe thicker than mine also... I didn't have much trouble blasting what I needed to do anyways .Yep it'll burn a hole thru a cardboard egg carton pretty quickly

Last edited:
I wear protective glasses with mine and angle it diagonally through the glass/acrylic. It's attached to a DIY tripod. My laser is a little upgraded. You have to buy it piece by piece so it's legal. No one/pets in room with me while using. Careful lasering ;)
yep,... even my dog scruffy must leave the room when im on a aptasia hunt with it,..she puts out a powerful light for sure

I think super clean glass and a tripod may do the trick. Mine came with all parts and I don't see any modification I could make to better it.

Back
Top Bottom