Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is super exciting! I can imagine how much fun that's going to be; it seems like you have it all planned out!

Now while you are waiting you just need to listen to some music from the last time you went, that will bring back even more memories. For me all it takes is one song to bring back tons of fun times. :)

It's such a rush when you slide into the water and look down and you're surrounded by yellow tangs , triggerfish, wrasses ,idols etc Nothing like it in the world , you kinda just lose track of time and space as you glide over the reefs and watch the goings on.
Seeing the reefs as they really are in the wild is why I started my tank in the first place , granted you really can't duplicate what you really see out there but it sure keeps you occupied and entertained until your next great adventure.
The last few years I've been just as interested in the tiny little fish and crustaceans as the bigger guys swimming about . Its an amazing world down there, I wish every reefer has the opportunity to see it someday for themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's such a rush when you slide into the water and look down and you're surrounded by yellow tangs , triggerfish, wrasses ,idols etc Nothing like it in the world , you kinda just lose track of time and space as you glide over the reefs and watch the goings on.
Seeing the reefs as they really are in the wild is why I started my tank in the first place , granted you really can't duplicate what you really see out there but it sure keeps you occupied and entertained until your next great adventure.
The last few years I've been just as interested in the tiny little fish and crustaceans as the bigger guys swimming about . Its an amazing world down there, I wish every reefer has the opportunity to see it someday for themselves.

It definitely sounds amazing Dary. My husband and I both took diving lessons Years ago and he was certified In the Florida keys but I wasn't. I snorkeled above while he was taking his final test. I couldn't get past the mask clearing under water. I wanted to so badly though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wish I had you as a student. I taught several tricks that helped people get past the mask clearing. Bottom line, you need to be comfortable in the water. Dary, enjoy yourself as always.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wish I had you as a student. I taught several tricks that helped people get past the mask clearing. Bottom line, you need to be comfortable in the water. Dary, enjoy yourself as always.

Thanks Greg. My teacher didn't seem interested in helping me.

That's a shame. Diving, or snorkeling for those of us into reefing is a important part of understanding what we are attempting to recreate in our living rooms. Find a better instructor. Get very comfortable with your face in the water. You can do it.

I have had a huge mustache my whole life, so I had to get use to a half flooded mask all the time. I finally got a full face mask and with some practice that works ok.

Sorry to jump your thread Dary!

Last edited:
I'm right there with you Greg , I think I've had my mustache since I was six ,. A liberal amount of silicone grease strategically placed seems to have eliminated the water in the mask for me ,... ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440802015.172702.jpg

I once shaved it off years ago on a dare,.... Felt like a baby's butt with eyes for weeks until it grew back

Mine FINALLY grew in when I was 18, I'm 63 now. It's never been shaved. My friends caution me not to shave it because they think I might look even more nuts. Almost did it during a dive trip years ago as I just couldn't get a mask seal.

I second the Lol Paul.

If I had a instructor like you Greg, I'm sure I would have gotten certified and been enjoying that underwater scene. Not sure I have the ambition to do it now.

Have fun Dary on your trip. Take lots of pictures.

I second the Lol Paul.

If I had a instructor like you Greg, I'm sure I would have gotten certified and been enjoying that underwater scene. Not sure I have the ambition to do it now.

Have fun Dary on your trip. Take lots of pictures.

I'm hoping that the rash of hurricanes that seem to be buzzing around there dissipate before we get there ., it'll be a bummer to get there and have the waters all churned up by large swells etc., but whatever the case we'll be prepared!
Snorkel gear thrown in the vicinity of my suitcase and someday I gotta get my " you know what" off the couch and start packing .
Looking forward to a leisurely cruise over a quiet reef checking out the life below ,... Hopefully ,I might get an idea or two for my tank

I'm hoping that the rash of hurricanes that seem to be buzzing around there dissipate before we get there ., it'll be a bummer to get there and have the waters all churned up by large swells etc., but whatever the case we'll be prepared!
Snorkel gear thrown in the vicinity of my suitcase and someday I gotta get my " you know what" off the couch and start packing .
Looking forward to a leisurely cruise over a quiet reef checking out the life below ,... Hopefully ,I might get an idea or two for my tank

I booked a trip to Punta Cana, and they just got waffled by a killer storm. I hope that they are able to get the buffet tables fired up by the 26th! :D

I booked a trip to Punta Cana, and they just got waffled by a killer storm. I hope that they are able to get the buffet tables fired up by the 26th! :D

Lol,... Hey congrats on the vacation Doug !!! That should be an intoxicating trip to say the least ,..I hope you're planning on doing some snorkeling while you're down there . We're leaving on the 21st and coming home on the 28th ,kind of a quickie but we're up for it .

Thanks Dary. Yes, intoxicating....
Take lots of pics!
On that note, what camera are you using for submerged shots?
I just bought the Nikon Coolpix AW130 to replace my Canon D10. Waterproof to 100 feet ;)

Last edited:
I bought a Sony rx100 11 and a water proof housing To replace the older Sony I've been using for years ,.. Quite frankly I haven't a clue how to use the stupid thing either ,..I hope somehow I stumble thru this and they come out ok,..gf will be using the older Sony so I think we'll be safe there., only a couple of more weeks for me and three for you !!

Back
Top Bottom