Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #1461
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I bought a tiny frag from what looked like an alien eye at the LFS Saturday. He wanted $170 for the whole piece, but I got a frag the size of a dime for $20. Will see how it does.
Nice. Hope it grows well for ya!

Old 01-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #1462
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Thank you! . You are all doing a fine job. I still have issues now and again.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #1463
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Dary, You're stuff looks great. I still have some issues with certain corals I am trying to understand better. Flow rate and PAR work together in some amazing fashion with some, maybe most corals. I am a engineer, not a biologist, so some of this is hard to get thru my thick head.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #1464
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Dary, You're stuff looks great. I still have some issues with certain corals I am trying to understand better. Flow rate and PAR work together in some amazing fashion with some, maybe most corals. I am a engineer, not a biologist, so some of this is hard to get thru my thick head.
Thanks Greg but at least you have an idea of what's going on,..me? I'm just a trial and error guy,..sometimes I just get a little lucky and something actually grows!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #1465
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

This is a field where there is a lot that is still not understood. It is however fascinating in how much has been discovered even in the last few decades. The two gallon nano tank at our office is a simple example of the impossible becoming not only possible, but fairly simple.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #1466
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421

Thanks Greg but at least you have an idea of what's going on,..me? I'm just a trial and error guy,..sometimes I just get a little lucky and something actually grows!!!
That's the best kind of aquarist in my humble opinion. Whatever success I've had in reef keeping came down to that exact philosophy. I had setup a plenum style reverse daylight refugium back around 1998 that was running up until this past summer all due to trial and error experimenting.

Not that I discount proven methods. But they don't get proven unless people experiment with them while they're still either unknown or unproven. Breaking the established rules seems commonplace in this hobby. It's such a big part of the allure.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #1467
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

In general, i agree, but experimenting without documenting and testing for the actual performance increase or decrease isn't generally productive. There are many routes to the same goals, reef quality water and growing corals. But modern test kits like Hanna produces now lets us not guess how good that skimmer works, but to actually measure it. My point being, buy the Hanna Phosphate tester for $50 before buying a $1000 skimmer that you think might work better than your present one. See if you actually have a problem first. I bet Dary's system has very low Phosphate from just looking at his coral. I have been a pilot for many years and we depend on instrumentation to not plow into a mountain top in weather. I think of myself as piloting my reef system, but I want good data when doing so.

Interesting debate anyway. It is sad Dary that there is no advice to be found on this forum...ha! I think there is something in the salt we use that makes us all this way.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #1468
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
In general, i agree, but experimenting without documenting and testing for the actual performance increase or decrease isn't generally productive. There are many routes to the same goals, reef quality water and growing corals. But modern test kits like Hanna produces now lets us not guess how good that skimmer works, but to actually measure it. My point being, buy the Hanna Phosphate tester for $50 before buying a $1000 skimmer that you think might work better than your present one. See if you actually have a problem first. I bet Dary's system has very low Phosphate from just looking at his coral. I have been a pilot for many years and we depend on instrumentation to not plow into a mountain top in weather. I think of myself as piloting my reef system, but I want good data when doing so.

Interesting debate anyway. It is sad Dary that there is no advice to be found on this forum...ha! I think there is something in the salt we use that makes us all this way.
I'm not saying that I wanted a new skimmer because my present one isn't doing ok,..it's because I just wanted to experiment and try something different.,....like everyone changing from their mh and t5/8 bulbs to the led's ,..im sure the other ones did their job well its just nice to change things up now and then and experiment ,...kinda like your trusty old car gets you to town and back without any trouble but sometimes it's just nice to have a new car to drive too.
I still haven't pressed any buttons yet just dreaming alittle.... ( that skimmer I inquired about isn't a $1000..., more like $399..... This would prob be a boring hobby if everyone used the exact same equipment,..nice to have people trying different things.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #1469
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I understand, as I said, there are many routes to the same goal. One of my skimmers is the Red Sea model I think you had. There are many things I dislike about this skimmer, but it does skim and the wash down feature keeps me from pitching it. So features and efficiency does matter to me.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #1470
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I understand, as I said, there are many routes to the same goal. One of my skimmers is the Red Sea model I think you had. There are many things I dislike about this skimmer, but it does skim and the wash down feature keeps me from pitching it. So features and efficiency does matter to me.
Greg,.., I guess some people like to break out their test tubes and ck their water quality every other day and thats great if that's their thing but I'm just not one of 'em,.. I totally understand what you're saying as far as testing out conditions first,..logical ( but I think it's prob overdone by most ) I'd prob drive mr spock nuts,..I'm just not that logical or a scientist ,I'm just a zoo keeper.
I'll prob never have the tank nor the understanding you do but I'm going ok in my primitive caveman ways lol..... Cave man just wants to try out a new club

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com