Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #1461
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Keithhjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I bought a tiny frag from what looked like an alien eye at the LFS Saturday. He wanted $170 for the whole piece, but I got a frag the size of a dime for $20. Will see how it does.
Nice. Hope it grows well for ya!
__________________

__________________
Keithhjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #1462
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,187
Thank you! . You are all doing a fine job. I still have issues now and again.
__________________

__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #1463
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,187
Dary, You're stuff looks great. I still have some issues with certain corals I am trying to understand better. Flow rate and PAR work together in some amazing fashion with some, maybe most corals. I am a engineer, not a biologist, so some of this is hard to get thru my thick head.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #1464
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dary421's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego,ca
Posts: 2,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Dary, You're stuff looks great. I still have some issues with certain corals I am trying to understand better. Flow rate and PAR work together in some amazing fashion with some, maybe most corals. I am a engineer, not a biologist, so some of this is hard to get thru my thick head.
Thanks Greg but at least you have an idea of what's going on,..me? I'm just a trial and error guy,..sometimes I just get a little lucky and something actually grows!!!
__________________
Dary421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #1465
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,187
This is a field where there is a lot that is still not understood. It is however fascinating in how much has been discovered even in the last few decades. The two gallon nano tank at our office is a simple example of the impossible becoming not only possible, but fairly simple.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #1466
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CorallineAlgae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421

Thanks Greg but at least you have an idea of what's going on,..me? I'm just a trial and error guy,..sometimes I just get a little lucky and something actually grows!!!
That's the best kind of aquarist in my humble opinion. Whatever success I've had in reef keeping came down to that exact philosophy. I had setup a plenum style reverse daylight refugium back around 1998 that was running up until this past summer all due to trial and error experimenting.

Not that I discount proven methods. But they don't get proven unless people experiment with them while they're still either unknown or unproven. Breaking the established rules seems commonplace in this hobby. It's such a big part of the allure.
__________________
CorallineAlgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #1467
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,187
In general, i agree, but experimenting without documenting and testing for the actual performance increase or decrease isn't generally productive. There are many routes to the same goals, reef quality water and growing corals. But modern test kits like Hanna produces now lets us not guess how good that skimmer works, but to actually measure it. My point being, buy the Hanna Phosphate tester for $50 before buying a $1000 skimmer that you think might work better than your present one. See if you actually have a problem first. I bet Dary's system has very low Phosphate from just looking at his coral. I have been a pilot for many years and we depend on instrumentation to not plow into a mountain top in weather. I think of myself as piloting my reef system, but I want good data when doing so.

Interesting debate anyway. It is sad Dary that there is no advice to be found on this forum...ha! I think there is something in the salt we use that makes us all this way.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #1468
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dary421's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego,ca
Posts: 2,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
In general, i agree, but experimenting without documenting and testing for the actual performance increase or decrease isn't generally productive. There are many routes to the same goals, reef quality water and growing corals. But modern test kits like Hanna produces now lets us not guess how good that skimmer works, but to actually measure it. My point being, buy the Hanna Phosphate tester for $50 before buying a $1000 skimmer that you think might work better than your present one. See if you actually have a problem first. I bet Dary's system has very low Phosphate from just looking at his coral. I have been a pilot for many years and we depend on instrumentation to not plow into a mountain top in weather. I think of myself as piloting my reef system, but I want good data when doing so.

Interesting debate anyway. It is sad Dary that there is no advice to be found on this forum...ha! I think there is something in the salt we use that makes us all this way.
I'm not saying that I wanted a new skimmer because my present one isn't doing ok,..it's because I just wanted to experiment and try something different.,....like everyone changing from their mh and t5/8 bulbs to the led's ,..im sure the other ones did their job well its just nice to change things up now and then and experiment ,...kinda like your trusty old car gets you to town and back without any trouble but sometimes it's just nice to have a new car to drive too.
I still haven't pressed any buttons yet just dreaming alittle.... ( that skimmer I inquired about isn't a $1000..., more like $399..... This would prob be a boring hobby if everyone used the exact same equipment,..nice to have people trying different things.
__________________
Dary421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #1469
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,187
I understand, as I said, there are many routes to the same goal. One of my skimmers is the Red Sea model I think you had. There are many things I dislike about this skimmer, but it does skim and the wash down feature keeps me from pitching it. So features and efficiency does matter to me.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #1470
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dary421's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego,ca
Posts: 2,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I understand, as I said, there are many routes to the same goal. One of my skimmers is the Red Sea model I think you had. There are many things I dislike about this skimmer, but it does skim and the wash down feature keeps me from pitching it. So features and efficiency does matter to me.
Greg,.., I guess some people like to break out their test tubes and ck their water quality every other day and thats great if that's their thing but I'm just not one of 'em,.. I totally understand what you're saying as far as testing out conditions first,..logical ( but I think it's prob overdone by most ) I'd prob drive mr spock nuts,..I'm just not that logical or a scientist ,I'm just a zoo keeper.
I'll prob never have the tank nor the understanding you do but I'm going ok in my primitive caveman ways lol..... Cave man just wants to try out a new club
__________________

__________________
Dary421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.