Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #1471
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I think you are doing a fine job and am not trying to be critical. I have gone for long periods where I didn't monitor much but salinity and the reef survived okay. You have me thinking about a skimmer upgrade now.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:23 AM   #1472
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Just found (and bought, even though I might just resell it) a Hydor Performer 2005 Protein Skimmer for $250 on Craig's List. Reviews look pretty good on this one. Anyone ever use one of these?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #1473
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Just found (and bought, even though I might just resell it) a Hydor Performer 2005 Protein Skimmer for $250 on Craig's List. Reviews look pretty good on this one. Anyone ever use one of these?
Wow.... I bet itll just hum along with your setup as is....id keep it and ditch the red sea.... Good price too
Old 01-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #1474
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I love reading you two go back and forth with information. My question is, if your skimmer is skimming why replace it? With my reef octopus, I can't keep it skimming reliably and am unsure if this is from it being rated for a 100 gal setup and being on a 55 or that I feed so minimally due to my water causing issues by itself.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #1475
Aquarium Advice Addict

I added the Red Sea Skimmer six months ago or so and I repeatedly look at different brands with the anticipation of replacing it ASAP. Skims decent but is almost über touchy, requiring many adjustments. To Red Sea's credit two weeks after I installed it and was still having issues they sent me a brand new one no questions asked.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #1476
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithhjs View Post
I added the Red Sea Skimmer six months ago or so and I repeatedly look at different brands with the anticipation of replacing it ASAP. Skims decent but is almost über touchy, requiring many adjustments. To Red Sea's credit two weeks after I installed it and was still having issues they sent me a brand new one no questions asked.
I had one of those and could never get it dialed in right...after a period of time i just gave up on it and replaced it.... I guess ya gotta know when to hold em and when to fold'em
Old 01-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #1477
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Mine liked to drip. I use external skimmers, so it had to sit in a drip tray.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #1478
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Mine liked to drip. I use external skimmers, so it had to sit in a drip tray.
I originally ran mine as an external but it seemed to want to flood out all the time.. Which was always scary especially when your were away from home.... I put it into my present sump when i switched tanks and it was better.., BUT i could never trust it . .. Too touchy for me.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #1479
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

They are touchy. And mine liked to flood as well. Had the collection cup plumbed to a water jug for the runoff, but it would sometime run amok and overfill the jug. Made a nice mess. Any skimmer that uses a restriction valve on the outflow to adjust the foam height seems to have this problem. The ones that have a overflow riser that has adjustable height seems to work much better. This new one has a riser.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #1480
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I love reading you two go back and forth with information. My question is, if your skimmer is skimming why replace it? With my reef octopus, I can't keep it skimming reliably and am unsure if this is from it being rated for a 100 gal setup and being on a 55 or that I feed so minimally due to my water causing issues by itself.
Lots of variables with your possible skimming issues,...water height ,air,..bio load, etc,...but a skimmer rated for a 100 gal setup should be great for a 55 gal tank,.im sure you'll get it dialed in to your system, just small adjustments at a time and a little patience ...if you go up a handful of post I answer your question about why I was thinking about another skimmer,...but in a nutshell,..I just wanted to experiment a little and try something different ,.nothing ventured, nothing gained! .... .I haven't pressed any buttons yet ,just thinking out loud ,

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com