Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #1511
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
....and I have sumps large enough for it too! If I don't get a big skimmer like that, I'm just going to end up lighting those sumps and loading them up with corals

Old 02-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #1512
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I lit mine already and am growing softies and LPS. It's why I went external on the skimmer to make more room for corals and chaeto. I have always wanted one of those giant skimmers! This one will have to do.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #1513
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I lit mine already and am growing softies and LPS. It's why I went external on the skimmer to make more room for corals and chaeto. I have always wanted one of those giant skimmers! This one will have to do.
Gregor.... In your setup,..if I've followed correctly,..your DT is upstairs ,.your tank overflows into the basement where your sump, protein skimmers etc are located ,..then your " filtered" water is pumped back upstairs via you iwaki pumps ?
Old 02-02-2013, 01:36 AM   #1514
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

That's pretty much right. The 280 gallon (estimated) display tank dumps downstairs into the 80 gallon algae scrubber and it's sump. That is plumbed to another 50 gallon sump that the protein skimmers and purigen system work off of. It is also the sump that gets drained during a water exchange. Then that is plumbed to the 100 gallon frag tank and it's 30 gallon sump/soft coral tank. Thats all gravity fed. Then the water is pushed upstairs with one of the bigger Iwaki pumps. There are a total of 6 pumps in the system. 2 are iwaki and the rest are various pumps moving water to skimmers and reactors. There is as much water, or more downstairs than upstairs.

The algae scrubber and skimmers do a fine job exporting the vast majority of the organics and let's me run at .2 to a .15 phosphate levels. The purigen reactor drops them an additional .10, giving me a average of .05. That is pretty optimum for hard corals.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #1515
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
That's pretty much right. The 280 gallon (estimated) display tank dumps downstairs into the 80 gallon algae scrubber and it's sump. That is plumbed to another 50 gallon sump that the protein skimmers and purigen system work off of. It is also the sump that gets drained during a water exchange. Then that is plumbed to the 100 gallon frag tank and it's 30 gallon sump/soft coral tank. Thats all gravity fed. Then the water is pushed upstairs with one of the bigger Iwaki pumps. There are a total of 6 pumps in the system. 2 are iwaki and the rest are various pumps moving water to skimmers and reactors. There is as much water, or more downstairs than upstairs.

The algae scrubber and skimmers do a fine job exporting the vast majority of the organics and let's me run at .2 to a .15 phosphate levels. The purigen reactor drops them an additional .10, giving me a average of .05. That is pretty optimum for hard corals.
Wow,..that's a wild setup,...it sounds like you could use one of Doug's jns sk7 skimmers,...I sure wish I had a separate maintenance room like both you guys have,...it seems like that would make life a lot easier to deal with.,...but I guess I just gotta go with what I got,...I've got my skimmer narrowed down to a couple of different models,..one I'll be able to fit into the sump ( barely ) and the other one will have to be placed slightly outside and above the sump, I'm waiting to hear back from one of the manufacturers to find out about certain pumps before I make my final decision .
This is kind of exciting for me because I'll get to re-plumb some stuff and maybe give me a chance to clean out my sump of all the accumulated gunk that builds up during time.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #1516
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithhjs View Post
Yes it's overkill. That's why I was looking at the reefpro orca 1. It's rated 100-500 gal. I want at least double rated my current tank (125 + sump+other auxiliary reactor chambers (5)) and want it for future upgrade to larger and/or addition of plumbed off DT frag tank. That puts it at min 250 gal and high end of 600-700 rating.
Keith.... , soooo,...have you ordered it yet ?
Old 02-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #1517
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post

Wow,..that's a wild setup,...it sounds like you could use one of Doug's jns sk7 skimmers,...I sure wish I had a separate maintenance room like both you guys have,...it seems like that would make life a lot easier to deal with.,...but I guess I just gotta go with what I got,...I've got my skimmer narrowed down to a couple of different models,..one I'll be able to fit into the sump ( barely ) and the other one will have to be placed slightly outside and above the sump, I'm waiting to hear back from one of the manufacturers to find out about certain pumps before I make my final decision .
This is kind of exciting for me because I'll get to re-plumb some stuff and maybe give me a chance to clean out my sump of all the accumulated gunk that builds up during time.
Thanks. Just got my new one running.
If you mount it outside and above the sump, consider sitting it in a big Tupperware container and plumb a piece of tubing back to the sump. That way, if something leaks or overflows, you don't ruin the floor.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #1518
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Thanks. Just got my new one running.
If you mount it outside and above the sump, consider sitting it in a big Tupperware container and plumb a piece of tubing back to the sump. That way, if something leaks or overflows, you don't ruin the floor.
Thanks for the advice ... I was already thinking of doing that if I went with the outside the sump skimmer,...couple of questions,...#1,...first impressions of your new skimmer and #2 ,..do external pumps need to be mounted horizontally or can they also be mounted vertically or even upside on without affecting them?
Old 02-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #1519
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post

Keith.... , soooo,...have you ordered it yet ?
No I haven't ordered it yet. Probably gonna decide in a couple weeks. Just had a $3200 vet bill for my dog. Ouch!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #1520
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithhjs View Post

No I haven't ordered it yet. Probably gonna decide in a couple weeks. Just had a $3200 vet bill for my dog. Ouch!
Wow.... Ouch is right ( especially for the dog) ...hopefully your buddy is ok !!! Is that the doggie in your new avatar? ..... Hopefully, you'll get your skimmer soon enuff,..tell mrs Keith its ok ,but even if she has to give up buying stuff for herself for awhile you just have to have it,....then duck!!

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com