Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #1521
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It's already kicking out dark green skim mate. The dual needle pumps really foam it up. Looks like it will work fine. Was easy to set up.

Pumps usually don't care how they are oriented. Remember, 90 degree hose turns add back pressure. Keep those to a minimum.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #1522
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup that's my pup. 6 1/2 yr old Bernese Mountain Dog that are a towel and had to have abdominal surgery. Crazy pooch eats everything lol.

@Greg - would love to see a pic or video of your new skimmer in action!

Old 02-03-2013, 04:05 AM   #1523
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Purple lights come from the algae scrubber, those LEDs are tuned to plant growth.

New skimmer is settling in. Now use a P25 needle pump as the supply pump to the Red Sea skimmer, it adds a lot to its efficiency.

The sump off the frag tank with the moving light is home for mushrooms and some zoas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2074788345.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	149493   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1492296923.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	149494  

Name:	image-3869278481.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	149495   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1143672739.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	149496  

Name:	image-2842709108.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	149497   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1183247887.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	149498  

Name:	image-3046732017.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	149499   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1407341140.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	149500  

Old 02-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #1524
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Purple lights come from the algae scrubber, those LEDs are tuned to plant growth.

New skimmer is settling in. Now use a P25 needle pump as the supply pump to the Red Sea skimmer, it adds a lot to its efficiency.

The sump off the frag tank with the moving light is home for mushrooms and some zoas.
Looks like its skimming pretty good already. Nice setup.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #1525
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It's doing a fine job. Less than 24 hours there is 1/2" of dark green skimmate in the cup. And that's while the Red Sea skimmer is working as well.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #1526
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
It's doing a fine job. Less than 24 hours there is 1/2" of dark green skimmate in the cup. And that's while the Red Sea skimmer is working as well.
You may have a winner there Greg ,...I've been on the computer more than I care to admit here lately concerning my own personal (in the future ) skimmer reading many many reviews and checking out every bit of info i can find,...I've Been going back and forth over a couple of different ones ( same manufactuer ) everyone ive talked to says to go with the upgraded one and get it done once and for all ,otherwise you'll prob regret it down the line...

It's a big decision and expensive one at that but I've pretty made up my mind and now I'must wait until my tax return to get this transaction completed. I'm sure some might not agree on my choice on the type or the skimmer itself BUT it's what I'm going with right or wrong.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #1527
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

There is a lot of gratification when seeing that gunk getting removed directly from the water. When you smell it, it is easy to see that the skimmer is a huge part of the filtration system. I will modify my earlier comments, I think you can't go wrong buying the biggest and best skimmer you can afford and have space for. In the +20 years this reef has been running, this is just my third skimmer. Not too bad.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #1528
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
There is a lot of gratification when seeing that gunk getting removed directly from the water. When you smell it, it is easy to see that the skimmer is a huge part of the filtration system. I will modify my earlier comments, I think you can't go wrong buying the biggest and best skimmer you can afford and have space for. In the +20 years this reef has been running, this is just my third skimmer. Not too bad.
Right or wrong ,...I'm about 95% decided on going for this skimmer,. My reef creation mrc mr2r ,..I know it'll do a heck of a job on my system utilizing a larger pump(s) but maybe a lesser priced skimmer using needles and pins may do as well or better BUT hey it's my money and I really wanna try one out,...it's rated for up to 450 gals so it should be ready for about any upgrades I may throw at it.... Got my fingers crossed!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #1529
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post

Right or wrong ,...I'm about 95% decided on going for this skimmer,. My reef creation mrc mr2r ,..I know it'll do a heck of a job on my system utilizing a larger pump(s) but maybe a lesser priced skimmer using needles and pins may do as well or better BUT hey it's my money and I really wanna try one out,...it's rated for up to 450 gals so it should be ready for about any upgrades I may throw at it.... Got my fingers crossed!!!
Those Reeflo skimmers look nice to me. It is a recirculator with one of the better needle wheel pumps, at least that is what the MRC series looks like to me.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #1530
Aquarium Advice Addict

What made you decide on the mr2 btw? I keep going back and forth myself. I want to get the orca 1 but cannot find more than one review on it.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com