Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #1591
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Most of the bigger skimmers are external. They get too big to sit in a sump.
This one sits on top of its own 40 gallon trash can sump. It sits in a old photo developer tray (carefully washed!) in case it ever starts dripping, which it hasn't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1789078759.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	151698  

Old 02-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #1592
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Most of the bigger skimmers are external. They get too big to sit in a sump.
This one sits on top of its own 40 gallon trash can sump. It sits in a old photo developer tray (carefully washed!) in case it ever starts dripping, which it hasn't.
Is that large jug on the shelf behind the skimmer a overflow jug or is that the moonshine you've been hiding from the mrs.? You should stand in the middle of your fish room and take pictures 360 degrees ,..I'd love to see what you're up to down there...I remember a year or two ago mr x posted some pictures of his area and I expected Frankenstein to come walking by ... I wish I had a fish room and could do the same.!!

Old 02-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #1593
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

That's a weird shadow, but there are several 2 liter glass supply bottles that feed the dosers. Moonshine should be as good as vodka for dosing the tank shouldn't it?
My old fish room is my old darkroom. Once I went digital, the darkroom became fish ground control. I can barely turn around in there.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #1594
Aquarium Advice Addict

[QUOTE=Once I went digital, the darkroom became fish ground control. I can barely turn around in there.[/QUOTE]

I'd probably settle for that ,....it's kind of tough trying to maintain everything either under your tank or beside it,...in my case , I keep building onto my prexsisting cabinet sideways,. Slowly but surely one day it's going to eat up my tv ,..in fact yesterday I took off about another foot off my tv's stand because the tanks cabinet is heading that way anyways and I can't stop it,...:-/ someday , I'm sure I'll have one giant aquarium cabinet with the tv built into it somewhere.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #1595
Aquarium Advice Addict

I heard back from the retailer i purchased the reef creation skimmer i ordered and they said the factory will be shipping it out on the 18th...."meanwhile back at the ranch".., i found out that some folks used a medium sized reef flo blowhole pump ( 1100 ) on these skimmers and had great results... Apparently.,it makes for a much smaller footprint than the blueline 55 hd (recommended pump ) with the same amount of power ... And that would be great right now in my application...im going to try out both pumps and see which one does the better job., the one not being used on the skimmer will be housed as my new return pump for future use.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #1596
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post
I heard back from the retailer i purchased the reef creation skimmer i ordered and they said the factory will be shipping it out on the 18th...."meanwhile back at the ranch".., i found out that some folks used a medium sized reef flo blowhole pump ( 1100 ) on these skimmers and had great results... Apparently.,it makes for a much smaller footprint than the blueline 55 hd (recommended pump ) with the same amount of power ... And that would be great right now in my application...im going to try out both pumps and see which one does the better job., the one not being used on the skimmer will be housed as my new return pump for future use.
Is there a wattage difference too? Would be nice if it had a smaller footprint & was more efficient.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #1597
Aquarium Advice Addict

About 60 watts... Or so they say
Old 02-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #1598
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post
About 60 watts... Or so they say
One of the reasons I held off on that orca cuz it was like 150-175 watts for the recirculating pump.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #1599
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithhjs View Post

One of the reasons I held off on that orca cuz it was like 150-175 watts for the recirculating pump.
Yep.... Big toys big bucks
Old 02-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #1600
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

The difference is pennies a day or less between the two pumps. You just want the right flow and it all certainly has to fit your footprint. Hope you get your new skimmer soon.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com