Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #1621
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I don't know what's up with it, but it ALWAYS leaves the soot in my barrel. The same goes for Seachem Reef salt.
Maybe Doug could send Greg a little bit of his salt that he KNOWS leaves some soot and Greg could use some of his RODI water with THAT salt and see if he gets any residue,.. And Greg could send Doug a little of his RODI water and have Doug mix up a little of his salt that he KNOWS leaves a residue and see what happens,...it'll be a fool proof test to see if it's the salt or the water,..... Just thinking out loud,....it'll be for the good of science if nothing else,....still no word on my skimmer's shipment from the factory yet,.getting anxious to say the least

Old 02-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #1622
Aquarium Advice Addict

Check out Dr gs salt mix. Used a lot down south. There web page has some info on mixes. Made in Maryland with a lot of other good stuff. Down in SE Fl he delivers his pods and food himself.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #1623
Aquarium Advice Addict

Made in Miramar Fl.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #1624
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post

Maybe Doug could send Greg a little bit of his salt that he KNOWS leaves some soot and Greg could use some of his RODI water with THAT salt and see if he gets any residue,.. And Greg could send Doug a little of his RODI water and have Doug mix up a little of his salt that he KNOWS leaves a residue and see what happens,...it'll be a fool proof test to see if it's the salt or the water,..... Just thinking out loud,....it'll be for the good of science if nothing else,....still no word on my skimmer's shipment from the factory yet,.getting anxious to say the least
It probably takes a fair amount of salt before much residue is formed. And if both our RO/DI water shows very low dissolved solids, the precipitation shouldn't be water dependent. And I recall he said he had brands of salt that didn't do this.

I haven't used Instant Ocean in years, but I recall having the mix pump covered in brown slime occasionally.

Anything that comes out of a mine is going to vary. But maybe not as much as salt you would make from natural sea water.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #1625
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I don't know what's up with it, but it ALWAYS leaves the soot in my barrel. The same goes for Seachem Reef salt.
As awesome as your tank looks I may need to get some of that brown soot lol. It's the missing ingredient X. : brows:
Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #1626
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I'm getting old and have soot in my barrel.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #1627
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
lol. Yep. it's not all salts and the salts that do are consistent. I dunno. I still use them. I'm always alternating anyway. I'm using Coralife and Red Sea right now.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #1628
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Dary, did you get your skimmer?
Old 02-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #1629
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Dary, did you get your skimmer?
I sent an email out this morning to the retailer I purchased it from and asked them for any updates from the mrc factory re.tracking # or any updates on shipping,..like magic about an hour later I got a tracking # from them/ups stating that the skimmer was sent out on the 19th and will be here on Monday ,.. Meanwhile back at the ranch , I purchased a nice little dewalt table saw to help me in the extension of my tanks cabinet to enclose barrels , reactors ,RODI unit etc so it won't look so gaudy,
Old 02-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #1630
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithhjs View Post

As awesome as your tank looks I may need to get some of that brown soot lol. It's the missing ingredient X. : brows:
Lol,.. Yep ,me too,.. Mr.x's magic reef soot

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com