Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2013, 02:04 AM   #1641
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hope the skimmer arrived and is easy to install for ya!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #1642
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithhjs View Post
Hope the skimmer arrived and is easy to install for ya!
Hey Keith,....I spent all day yesterday extending my tanks cabinet another 6-8 feet ,..in the process I had to cut up the old tv stand etc etc,..what a mess !!!! So far I have all my fingers but out of beer !
I did build a little super mini walk in closet at the side of my tank where my new skimmer lives,..just enough room to step in and do the adjustments,cup removal etc,...unlike Greg's or Doug's ,I guess that'll have to do for my fish room .
Late in the day the new skimmer did arrive,.but by then ol'Dary was about had it,...I did find enough spirit later to take the time to plumb in both of my available pumps via the twist apart fittings,..right now she's all plumbed up with the blueline 55 pump,and that'll be the one I'll try first,...it's a beautiful ,heavy duty, heavy wieght monster ,if she skims 1/2 as good as she looks we'll have a winner.
If I can clear a path thru the saws,2x4's , all the crap that i piled up from moving stuff around I'll do my pwc that I was going to do yesterday AND then I can start up the new skimmer and ck for leaks and get her broken in,...she looks impressive enough to have come off of a alien space ship.
Right now I'm having my morning cup of coffee trying to get up off the couch and get these old bones moving,...illl update later.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #1643
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

My fish room is now standing room only.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #1644
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
My fish room is now standing room only.
Every fish addicts dream lol.

That's great dary! This skimmer sounds like a beast
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #1645
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well,..I'm on a extended break because I ran out if wood and I'm not in the mood for another trip to home depot right now,..my tanks cabinet extension complete with the phone booth size walk in room is coming right along, ive got tons more stuff to do but at this point there's light at the end of the tunnel.
I got the mrc skimmer up and running this morning and wow it's really quiet,even with that big motor propelling things,...it was a little nerve wracking turning that thing on for the first time but she fired right up and best of all NO LEAKS.
Right now she's running as per manufacturers recommendations and will need to be there for a day or so before you start fidgeting with the air and water adjustments.
I took a bunch of pictures of things along the way,.. Prob not the prettiest looking setup ever but it'll work just fine for me at this point,..as I said earlier , there's plenty more stuff to do but I'll get there soon enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-51030846.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	155419   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1076807343.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	155420  

Name:	image-1581625072.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	155421   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1153820970.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	155422  

Name:	image-457209318.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	155423   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-182155921.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	155424  

Name:	image-781612932.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	155425   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2060851803.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	155426  

Name:	image-345972626.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	155427   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2107780136.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	155428  

Name:	image-2629963720.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	155429   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3169497751.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	155430  

Old 02-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #1646
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks great. Good job
Old 02-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #1647
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Very nice! Skimmer looks deluxe. I wonder why a skimmer needs to "break in?" I know many of them do, but it seems it should start stacking up foam within minutes of operation. What's the difference between a new collection up and a recently cleaned one? When I clean my skimmer there is no extended break in period again, it goes back to skimming almost immediately. Just curious. And Dary's thread is where we ask the deep questions.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #1648
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Very nice! Skimmer looks deluxe. I wonder why a skimmer needs to "break in?" I know many of them do, but it seems it should start stacking up foam within minutes of operation. What's the difference between a new collection up and a recently cleaned one? When I clean my skimmer there is no extended break in period again, it goes back to skimming almost immediately. Just curious. And Dary's thread is where we ask the deep questions.
I think it's more that the skimmer neck retains some organic film when we clean the cup. I had a skimmer start immediately skimming on day one within few minutes of starting up a tank brand new but it was as soon as I put live sand in. Stuff jump started the skimmer immediately.

Btw Dary, now I really wish I had ordered my mrc skimmer before I invested in all this equipment lol.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #1649
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Good question,..I always wondered about that too,... From my understanding ( right or wrong) it was merely the time taken for Your marine water to remove any Chemical residue left by the factory in the making of your skimmer,which hinders your skimmers ability to produce the climbing foam needed..once it's removed then your skimmer should perform as you stated,.."within minutes"..... Maybe different brand and models of skimmers go thru some kind if a cleaning bath and their " break in " isn't as bad as others,.(?) My bubble magus ( bought new ) produced foam and gunk almost immediately upon plugging it in,.and yet others say days or a week for break in ,... Who knows ?
Old 02-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #1650
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

That's my experience as well. I lean towards your comment that there is something on new acrylic that either gets filmed over or washed off.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com