Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2013, 12:59 AM   #1651
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
That's my experience as well. I lean towards your comment that there is something on new acrylic that either gets filmed over or washed off.
I agree about residue needing to be washed off. Both my current skimmers mention that as part of the break in period. I was just commenting how even though it said it in the manual my cheapo coralife superskimmer 125 foamed and made skimmate immediately when I added a bag of live sand. 20 min after filling the tank with water and mixing in salt for the initial tank setup on day one I added the sand and the skimmer went from just foaming to making skimmate like crazy. I guess an overload of organics or a strong change in water chemistry can cause it to skim somehow.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #1652
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell View Post

Every fish addicts dream lol.

That's great dary! This skimmer sounds like a beast
Thanks,...but even superman couldn't change in this " phone booth" !!!... But nevertheless ,..I'm loving it,...I got the skimmer's water/ foam level up to operating height as per manufacturers instructions today ., everything looking good at this point, we'll see what she does in the next day or two,...looks and sounds impressive!!

Old 02-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #1653
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post

Thanks,...but even superman couldn't change in this " phone booth" !!!... But nevertheless ,..I'm loving it,...I got the skimmer's water/ foam level up to operating height as per manufacturers instructions today ., everything looking good at this point, we'll see what she does in the next day or two,...looks and sounds impressive!!
Woah... This is weird, I'm wearing a superman shirt. If you don't mind me asking, how much was this beauty? I need a new skimmer, just looking around at what I can't afford.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #1654
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell View Post

Woah... This is weird, I'm wearing a superman shirt. If you don't mind me asking, how much was this beauty? I need a new skimmer, just looking around at what I can't afford.
...about $600 for skimmer ., $239 for the blue line 55 pump ( used to recirculate water in skimmer ) and i already had a mag 7 to feed it.... Lots of bucks but thats what tax refunds are for i guess... Only time will tell., but so far i like it
Old 02-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #1655
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sheesh, well thanks! I hope you have many years with the monster of a skimmer.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #1656
Aquarium Advice Addict

A small update,.. The " monster" MRC Skimmer has been up and running since Tuesday ,...it's just now breaking out of its "breaking in" period and I couldn't be any happier at this point,...it's super easy to adjust ,very quiet and it's a beast !!! I had also bought a mrc over flow canister which will turn off the skimmer when the overflow cylinder is full of junk..a nice feature to have .
It's really weird because it's so quiet during the day you never really hear it running due to all the daytime back ground noise,..but at night while you're in bed you hear this faint little " jet turbine" noise which to me is kinda neat because you know things are running smoothly and there's no worries with the tank,.
I know it's still early but I'm very impressed so far with the quality of the workmanship and it's overall performance.,
Old 03-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #1657
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post
A small update,.. The " monster" MRC Skimmer has been up and running since Tuesday ,...it's just now breaking out of its "breaking in" period and I couldn't be any happier at this point,...it's super easy to adjust ,very quiet and it's a beast !!! I had also bought a mrc over flow canister which will turn off the skimmer when the overflow cylinder is full of junk..a nice feature to have .
It's really weird because it's so quiet during the day you never really hear it running due to all the daytime back ground noise,..but at night while you're in bed you hear this faint little " jet turbine" noise which to me is kinda neat because you know things are running smoothly and there's no worries with the tank,.
I know it's still early but I'm very impressed so far with the quality of the workmanship and it's overall performance.,
Yeah I have a feeling you will not regret purchasing that skimmer. MRC makes some quality products. I'm happy for you that you chose a good skimmer. Hoping someday I get back in skimmer shopping mode again lol.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #1658
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I was always afraid to have an external waste collection container, because if you have some sort of event in the tank that makes the skimmer go crazy and overflow, It will overflow that container all over the place until it runs out of water or the event has run it's course.
I like to keep mine in sump so that it will just go right back in the tank if this happens.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #1659
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I was always afraid to have an external waste collection container, because if you have some sort of event in the tank that makes the skimmer go crazy and overflow, It will overflow that container all over the place until it runs out of water or the event has run it's course.
I like to keep mine in sump so that it will just go right back in the tank if this happens.
Yeah I hate when that happens. I have my in sump skimmer on a float in the cup so of it overflows it kills it for a little bit. The external one however is not ran like that but is pretty reliable to not over skim and also is in the garage so the mess isn't such a worry. However, on the tank I'm preparing to install I was planning on also installing a float in a collection container but it is a recirculating skimmer and I was considering plugging in the recirculating pump to the float switch. I am thinking by killing the recirt pump, foam fractionating stops, and therefore no over skim as water just flows "through" the skimmer. Any thought wise reefers?
Old 03-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #1660
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Normally I'd agree 100% but theses particular overflow units were designed to supposedly cut off the airflow to the skimmer when the overflow canister is full preventing the canister from overflowing,....without the air the water level in the skimmer will drop and any excess water would flow out the gate valve back into the sump anyways.......don't worry I'll keep an eye on things for sure ,just to be on the safe side., worst case scenario would be to put the overflow canister in the sump anyways., but even then,I can't imagine the canister overflowing the way it's designed.,... Both the skimmer and overflow are pretty airtight, no lids etc to push up to flow over or thru.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4025610523.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	156511   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2609008622.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	156513  

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« 40 breeder reef | - »