Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #1661
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Just bought another clam. A 4" blue croacea. I always like buying live stock better than hardware!

Old 03-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #1662
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Just bought another clam. A 4" blue croacea. I always like buying live stock better than hardware!
It's been awhile since I've bought any live stock ..I'm just trying to get everything that I have going and growing ,so I'm really enjoying getting other do dads for the tank,..but this skimmer was a MAJOR investment so for me getting everything setup,plumbed and functioning was very rewarding.
Tomorrow,I'll continue with the cabinet extension and probably another trip or two to home depot.,...so far everything going along as planned,...loving the skimmer!
Good luck with the new clam,...you'll have to post some pictures.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #1663
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Will do. Have you measured any phosphate levels to see if the new skimmer has made a difference? I guess if it produces more skimate than the old one, that's an automatic improvement. I wish my collection cup bubble riser didn't need scrubbing every 4-5 days.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #1664
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Speaking of clams I just seen the nicest maxima clam ever. It was at aquariums by design in London Ontario and it was 300 bucks. I didn't. Have the cash available or I woulda picked it up. It was a beauty. As you walked by it, it would turn lime green to a glowing neon blue and there wasn't a dull spot on the entire mantle
Old 03-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #1665
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

There are some really spectacular ones.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #1666
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Will do. Have you measured any phosphate levels to see if the new skimmer has made a difference? I guess if it produces more skimate than the old one, that's an automatic improvement. I wish my collection cup bubble riser didn't need scrubbing every 4-5 days.
My tank's starting to look really good since the implantation of the new skimmer,..I had a small algea problem on various parts of my sand bed which now have really diminished a lot ,.. My phosphate test kit ( red sea ) was old, cap wouldnt tighten etc and as far as I'm concerned useless,..any test results given were totally absurd,..then I remembered that I had purchased a refill kit and those test resulted in a much more realistic value,..just a tad high but acceptable,..I'm thinking that maybe during the next BRS group buy I may check into a Hana test kit , I guess from what a lot of you guys say they are pretty good and accurate.
I've been working hard on my tanks cabinet extension and it's coming along very well,..so good in fact that I'm thinking of rebuilding my old tanks canopy , building new doors and reskimming some new surface wood on the old cabinet .,I'm just trying to recalculate how much new lumber to buy BEFORE I go back to homedepot.
I'm also experimenting on a formula that i found online that tuns new wood " gray" which'll make it look alittle more " nautical ".., years ago I had made a gret looking aquarium cabinet using old gray weather beaten wood taken from one of our dock lockers at work and I've always wanted to recapture that look again,..wether this expirament works will determine wether I go with it or just repaint things again in jet black.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #1667
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

That sounds excellent. The grey wood tone will accent the tank nicely.
Just became a Rapid LED seller and will be testing their new Onyx lights next week for my own use. They include a few green, red and UV violet Cree LEDs, so will be interested in how much PAR they have in comparison to our Chinese panels many of us are using, but they are priced attractively. My son has me convinced I need a touch of warmer light to make my corals look better, we will see. He is also a fan of the Cree LEDs.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #1668
Aquarium Advice Addict

Taking a little break from working on the tank's cabinet.., this is really turning into a major endeavor but i decided to just take my time , make a million trips to home depot for everything i forgot to pick up on my last visit there and do a nice job.
I took a few more pictures of the construction along the way but there's a long way to go before its done. The experiment with the " graying" of the new wood came out better than i thought it would so i decided that itll be some shade of gray upon conclusion.
The skimmer continues to be a beast and so far I'm totally thrilled that i bought this monster...gotta get back to the project for now., i'll update later sometime
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2643792313.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	157945   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1719480840.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	157946  

Name:	image-1245439178.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	157947   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-920798813.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	157948  

Name:	image-351791266.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	157949   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4009536911.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	157950  

Name:	image-4042498226.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	157951  
Old 03-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #1669
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Is that Magnum P.I. you're watching?
Old 03-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #1670
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Is that Magnum P.I. you're watching?
Absolutely !!! Prob my favorite show of all time !!! ( dvd's ..,have them up thru season six so far)

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com