Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #1681
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Self check out at Home Depot is usually faster and at least you have no one but yourself to blame if you forget anything. I always end up making multiple trips to the old hardware store.
For some reason Dary does not do those self check out lines,.. I had to once at a " Ralph's" when one of the checkers called me over but I didn't like it at all..... I was at home depot at 6am this am and got all my stuff back without incident,...I also did an amazing amount of trim and fitting etc on my cabinet this morning along with my tanks's pwc ,..whew !!! It's been one busy couple of days.!!!! The end is in sight !!
So now that you've had your new skimmer up and running for a month whats your overall opinion ? Dd you make the right call or do you wish you would have purchased another model instead,.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #1682
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

No, I only paid $250 for it. It has been a bargain at that price and works very effectively. Hadn't needed to even touch the unit except to clean it at least once a week.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #1683
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
No, I only paid $250 for it. It has been a bargain at that price and works very effectively. Hadn't needed to even touch the unit except to clean it at least once a week.
Good to hear.... I figured as much,...how's the new clam ?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #1684
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey guys, dary the cabinet is looking awesome. I wanted to ask you pros a question about phosphates. My tank is 120 gallons and in 5 days time the phophates rise .02 which is interesting because a 5 gallon water change will drop the phosphates .02 . I was testing it today because I was up to .11 phosphates so I did 10 gallons today and it dropped to .07. I use Hanna phosphate checker. So tomorrow I will do another to get it to optimal phosphate. The question is is it cheaper to do 10 gallons a week water change or run ferrix oxide and do less water changes. I currently run with only protein skimmer and small amount of carbon.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #1685
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post

Good to hear.... I figured as much,...how's the new clam ?
Clamming right along. They will get some new lights next week.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #1686
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Clamming right along. They will get some new lights next week.
Nice. Rapids I take it?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #1687
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Yes. I want to do a direct comparison with the Chinese panels.

BTW...the Onyx fixture is back in stock tomorrow at Rapid. Get them while they last as they go back out of stock pretty quick. I hope I like these. I heard they will have a controllable fixture out soon as well. Price is a bit higher than Chinese panels, but much less than some of the other popular fixtures.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #1688
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think I've hit the wall with my tank cabinet extension,..I've probably got another 15 minutes of wood cutting etc to do before I start the " grayling process" but after the last coupe of weeks or so and so many trips to home depot and the countless hours of measuring and cutting etc I simply can't get my butt off the couch long enough to get started today.
I did start mixing up the "graying formula " this afternoon (after a quick visit to the cemetery to wish my dad a " happy birthday ".) ..so I'll have to start on that Friday afternoon wether I really want to or not.,..it's kind of a interesting formula using vinegar,steel wool and a cup of tea that is applied to the wood,,.they say it's the tannins that'll turn the wood grayish,.... We've experimented using some test pieces and it's real easy to go too dark,..I think I'll prob go for a rather light shade of gray that'll show the grains in the wood as is.
Other than that ,all is well.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:12 PM   #1689
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post
I think I've hit the wall with my tank cabinet extension,..I've probably got another 15 minutes of wood cutting etc to do before I start the " grayling process" but after the last coupe of weeks or so and so many trips to home depot and the countless hours of measuring and cutting etc I simply can't get my butt off the couch long enough to get started today.
I did start mixing up the "graying formula " this afternoon (after a quick visit to the cemetery to wish my dad a " happy birthday ".) ..so I'll have to start on that Friday afternoon wether I really want to or not.,..it's kind of a interesting formula using vinegar,steel wool and a cup of tea that is applied to the wood,,.they say it's the tannins that'll turn the wood grayish,.... We've experimented using some test pieces and it's real easy to go too dark,..I think I'll prob go for a rather light shade of gray that'll show the grains in the wood as is.
Other than that ,all is well.
Sometimes you gotta take some "me" time. I'm in the same boat as you after cracking my frag tank and having to start half of my unfinished projects over again lol. Hang in there cuz your cabinet extension is looking very nice!
Old 03-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #1690
Aquarium Advice Addict

Even draft horses have to rest every now an again. Sitting back for a night or two with a cocktail and some Gunsmoke ain't no crime! I find that mixing power tools and critical measuring with "burn-out" can be a pretty big waste of time anyway.

Still, it would be cool to see a few of those greyed out test pieces. I made my Kotatsu (Japanese heated coffee table) out of +-150yo reclaimed cypress and I regret not making my tank stand and hood out of it as well. Old wood, and even antiqued finishes on new wood, make such an impact. It'll be exciting to see the end results. Well worth waiting for.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com