Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #1771
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I keep the AC on 70 in the summer and the heat on 69 in the winter. My tank stays around 79.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #1772
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I keep the AC on 70 in the summer and the heat on 69 in the winter. My tank stays around 79.
What was it before LEDs? Didn't you use MH?

Old 05-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #1773
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Alas I got no ac except a portable unit on casters. A chillin I will go.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #1774
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
What was it before LEDs? Didn't you use MH?
I always did this and there was a time I used halides, but for a couple years before the LEDs I used T5s. The T5 kept the water every bit as warm ad the halides did.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #1775
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
I always did this and there was a time I used halides, but for a couple years before the LEDs I used T5s. The T5 kept the water every bit as warm ad the halides did.
When I started my reef years ago, there were no T5's, so I went with MH. We keep our house at 72 in the summer and this tank was always topping out in the low 80's. I like to be in the high 70's. I don't know how you all can light with MH to the intensity hard corals need without a chiller. I even am happy to have the chiller even with LEDs as my air conditioning broke down last week on hot day. Didn't have to worry about the reef.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #1776
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Now I'm curious as to what size and make of heaters you guys are running vs tank size
Old 05-05-2013, 04:51 AM   #1777
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I've got one of those old external heaters that looks like a little fire hydrant. Guess its about 500 watts and only comes on in the winter. It is way too small for my system (500 gallons) but keeps the system from getting super cold. Need a bigger one.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #1778
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use a series of 200 watters all over the place. 4 of them- 2 in the bottom sump, and one in each upper sump. Probably not enough as well, but it's holding on for now.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #1779
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I've got one of those old external heaters that looks like a little fire hydrant. Guess its about 500 watts and only comes on in the winter. It is way too small for my system (500 gallons) but keeps the system from getting super cold. Need a bigger one.
So ,.. I would imagine that where you Doug and others live, heating must really be an interesting dilemma come winter time,...out here we do have our " cold" months where our nights and mornings may dip into the twenties but usually by mid day the temperatures will rise up to a balmy sub tropical 50., but the summer months is where it gets ugly and that's where the chillers earn their keep out here.
You said that your fire hydrant heater keeps it from getting " super cold"...,,knowing how you keep all your parameters in check and prob " spot on" ,I'm surprised that you have any temp dips in your system at all...my guess would have been a system developed by you that would maintain your temp from fluctuating year round.
On my little system I'm running a 500 watt heater combined with my cooler which between the two have been holding my system very constant,,( knock on wood )..HOWEVER,...we DO NOT have the constant icy ,bone chilling cold that you guys have to deal with on a daily basis,..... Gotta be really tough maintaining a tropical reef amongst such interesting conditions.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #1780
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

The cold isn't really that bad, as long as the power doesn't go out. My tank hasn't been running through a snowstorm or blizzard though yet. The heat is the issue. In the winter it hits -10 in western pa frequently if it feels like it, but with the train in the basement keeping the house warm it isn't an issue. Then when it gets into 100~ in the summer... No central air, only a window ac unit that I bought last year to, like Doug, keep from having roast dog when I get home. My big issue with that bit is my living room has no insulation, and can't as they built ceiling and roofed it back before my father was alive out of the foundation of an old barn they leveled while my grandfather was strip mining the area for coal. So it gets extremely hot in this room. The window ac maintains it around 80, I wish it could go lower but a larger unit would be needed and that simply won't fit in the windows.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com