Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #1861
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell View Post

I normally wouldn't, I love the hobby. But now I'm going to move back to freshwater. I can't leave it all the way! And it's doing more than okay. Your tank really does look great, what lights did you get? LEDs right?
Adam,...you are so wise well beyond your years,....at 16 you have more sw knowledge than most people I know,..... I totally understand your situation, and I truly hope to see you back in the salt water reef section soon,.... You're always welcome on this thread ,feel free to chime in anytime !!!!! ,.. Dary

Old 06-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #1862
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
People crash in saltwater reefing because they have too high expectations and don't embrace the time it takes to build a reef right. Dary has taken his time over several years I have watched him. He has never done anything in a hurry with his reef as far as I can tell. That, along with a workable routine of maintenance and feeding will do the trick every time. FW is the same, just less to do and costs less to run.
Wow,...thank you for the kind words,..I truly hope I can live up to them!!! The most important lesson I've learned here. ( as you've stated) is to take things painfully slow,.... wait 6-8 months before you start adding corals,..let your tank settle in and mature first. ,.. You re not going to win every battle but your odds Will go up by waiting

Old 06-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #1863
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
People crash in saltwater reefing because they have too high expectations and don't embrace the time it takes to build a reef right. Dary has taken his time over several years I have watched him. He has never done anything in a hurry with his reef as far as I can tell. That, along with a workable routine of maintenance and feeding will do the trick every time. FW is the same, just less to do and costs less to run.
I feel like that completely defined my situation. I rushed in the beginning, took shortcuts, and now I can't afford it because of the mistakes that I made. Hopefully it's a lesson learned.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #1864
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post

Adam,...you are so wise well beyond your years,....at 16 you have more sw knowledge than most people I know,..... I totally understand your situation, and I truly hope to see you back in the salt water reef section soon,.... You're always welcome on this thread ,feel free to chime in anytime !!!!! ,.. Dary
Thanks dary I think you're giving me too much credit though. And will do haha, I'll be jealous of all these tanks.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #1865
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell View Post

Thanks dary I think you're giving me too much credit though. And will do haha, I'll be jealous of all these tanks.
Adam,...you deserve all the credit and more..you'll be back to reefing soon enough,....we all learn from our mistakes and anyone who's managed to survive the reef tank world for any length of time will tell you the same thing ,. Everyone here has prob made all of the same mistakes at one time or another,...it's a lot of trial and error, it's the errors unfortunately that we probably learn the most from.
You take care mr Adam and we'll see you back here soon enough .
Old 06-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #1866
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay,...anyone who has painstakingly read thru the saga of this post should know about me trying to figure out how to get a CUC into my tank without being eaten by mr triggerfish,....shrimps and crabs I think are out of the question so it'll come down to snails again and prob lots of em ....I ordered some a few weeks back but unfortunately they arrived DOA so that ended that little adventure,,,But yesterday after rethinking everything,.I re ordered a bunch of them ( thru a different company ) hoping that maybe a few of them will survive long enough to eat up some of the algae on the rocks and back glass, I also added two brittle stars also,...that'll be an interesting watch to see if the trigger tries to dig em out of the rocks.
Today I just ordered three large giant type snails that ( in my way of thinking) may actually work (?) Maybe if mr triggerfish see's a snail the size of a cantaloupe cruising the glass maybe he'll Think twice about attacking it,..I'll keep some of the snails in the sump for safe keeping and will add the others at night while the trigger is asleep,
Experiment # 352 about to take off,.... I'll keep you posted of the results.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #1867
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I am betting on the triggerfish...I won't trust any of my urchins in the tank with the blue jaw, much less a Picasso. A few snails have survived so far so good luck.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #1868
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I am betting on the triggerfish...I won't trust any of my urchins in the tank with the blue jaw, much less a Picasso. A few snails have survived so far so good luck.
Yup... The smart money goes on the trigger For sure... But im thinking maybe those big giant snails may stand a fighting chance at least for awhile .. Yeah sure they will .... Just hoping
Old 06-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #1869
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I usually distract my puffer with clam on the half shell then toss all the inverts in the opposite back corner of the tank . Might be worth a try
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #1870
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post

Yup... The smart money goes on the trigger For sure... But im thinking maybe those big giant snails may stand a fighting chance at least for awhile .. Yeah sure they will .... Just hoping
What type of snails are these?

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com