Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, saw that on your thread ,… the last one lasted for 10 years or so before it bit the dust,…hope yours does as well ,…those extra heaters might come in handy down the line in case of a emergency

Always good to have extra heaters!

Well today was my first test of my new water barrel setup and plumbing,.. the water change went smoothly and without any seepage or leaks !!
The ink bird controller seems to be chugging right along and is keeping the temperature at 79 degrees without any hiccups…, the recently dismantled and cleaned seaside aquatic skimmer also performing super cool .
The only water issue I’ve had today was attempting to give “pinkie” my large bull terrier a bath pending his routine vet appointment tomorrow,.. we’ll, there was a lot of soap ,bubbles and water , unfortunately most of it was on me and not pinkie,…. I think he might have got enough on him to at least look presentable.IMG_2031.jpg

Pinkie looked indignant. And had an accusatory glance... but I bet Pinkie is much happier when dry. ;)

Pinkie’s a nut case …. He doesn’t have a mean bone in his body but he’s as strong as a bulldozer , besides pestering the cat whenever he can ,he seemingly enjoys sitting on the couch watching the aquarium.

Meanwhile ,back at the ranch ,I ordered a bubble magnus roller filter for my tank,… when I saw these a few years ago when they came out I was really interested because I’m pretty **** lazy when it comes to changing out the filter socks .
This is going to require some tricky plumbing because of the way I have the return water coming into my sump but that’ll make things interesting,…I’m certain they’ll be a couple of trips to dixieline’s plumbing department coming soon .
I also bought and installed the upgrade to my aquatic life rodi filter which will convert the unit to a higher water output ,..so far so good !

Good luck with the roller. I hear they are very effective, however costly for the rolls of fleece. My buddy who has a 150 gallon display and 150 gallon frag tank took his offline and just substantially upsized his skimmer due to the weekly costs associated with the roller.

Good luck with the roller. I hear they are very effective, however costly for the rolls of fleece. My buddy who has a 150 gallon display and 150 gallon frag tank took his offline and just substantially upsized his skimmer due to the weekly costs associated with the roller.
I’ve read a million reviews both pro and con regarding the effectiveness vs the costs but decided to give it a whirl anyways ,… the replacement rolls for this particular unit didn’t seem too horrible and I’m sure I’ll get a few rolls ahead to start .
I guess you’ll never know for sure until you give it a go,… as I said before ,I’m not very efficient changing out the filter socks every couple of days so maybe this will help ?……it might end up in the old parts pile of aquarium do dads in the other room ,….I guess we’ll find out soon enough .

Always worth trying new things to see if they work out for you, I feel. The sea of reported experiences for equipment is difficult to navigate and make sense of, so better off to just find out for yourself sometimes if you have an itch to scratch. Just think, you’ll be on the side of about 50% of the reviews chances are :)

Always worth trying new things to see if they work out for you, I feel. The sea of reported experiences for equipment is difficult to navigate and make sense of, so better off to just find out for yourself sometimes if you have an itch to scratch. Just think, you’ll be on the side of about 50% of the reviews chances are :)

Greg always seemed to be the front runner when it came to trying out new gizmos ,…. As you said ,…you’ll never know unless you try …it’s suppose to be here today ( of course it was actually “ suppose “ to be here last Saturday!!!)

Well,.the bubble Magus matt roller finally came in ,..I had to modify my plexiglass sump In Order to optimize the space and location ,…after some cutting away with my little 4 “ cut off grinder she fits beautifully.
The real fun was modifying my return from my barrel which hold my protein skimmer and back into the sump and into the matt roller.
So with a bag of pvc fittings and hoses I decided to install a diverter so if the need ever arose I could just turn the lever and have the return water enter the sump from the side , that way I could remove the matt roller for servicing without disturbing the flow.
We’ll see over time how the roller works out but I’ve got 4 rolls of filter medium to go thru ,…

Is this replacing any other form of mechanical filtration? Socks, floss?

Interested to see how this affects your skimmer… have seen some good content regarding skimmers needing to do less work with the rollers online.

Yup ,…replacing my filter sock that I’m slow to replace ,… I’ve got enough gunk in my tank that I think both matt roller and skimmer will be happy.,at least for awhile .

IMG_2109.jpgIMG_2110.jpg
Pinkie checking out the new matt roller setup , ..something tells me he isn’t too impressed .lol

��
I'm interested to hear how you like the roller. It's been a curious set up idea since I first heard of it. One of my fish friends recently installed one as well for FW.

I'm interested to hear how you like the roller. It's been a curious set up idea since I first heard of it. One of my fish friends recently installed one as well for FW.

It’s only been running for a couple of days so far but it seems to be trapping some stuff that the skimmer misses ….. we’ll see how it plays out over time but so far I like it …. Pinkie’s not too sure tho

Back
Top Bottom