Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2014, 12:15 PM   #2161
Aquarium Advice Addict

Trying to bullet proof any possibilities of anything going haywire while I'm on my vacation so I relocated my reef octopus reactor from sitting outside the sump into the sump's first chamber just in case a leak develops at least it'll just leak into the sump instead of the floor,... For the last month or so they've been digging up the road to install all underground utilities thus eliminating all of our lovely telephone poles,...they said that when the conversion is ready to happen that the power may be off for a few hours, ..great ! Prob be day two of my vacation and I can just see my brother going crazy trying to rig up the generator etc. , but I do have a battery back up on my mp40 and another controlling a couple of smaller Powerheads just in case .
I may rig up another 5 gallon reservoir containing some extra ATO water above my current setup with a hose and a valve running into the everyday container so all he would have to do is open a valve to refill things back up to normal ,...food will be Iin the Freezer in little ziplock crack baggies,...my reef creation skimmer is the most bullet proof skimmer I've ever run across and it's equipped with a auto shut off overflow container so that'll eliminate one normal concern.
Other than that ,..watch out kona brewing company cuz here we come !!

Old 03-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #2162
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Wish I lived closer, I'd watch it for you. It's nice that my son and several of my friends are local reefers. With them and my networked surveillance and monitoring, I feel fairly safe. But a big power outage scares me as they would have to setup the generator.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:55 PM   #2163
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Wish I lived closer, I'd watch it for you. It's nice that my son and several of my friends are local reefers. With them and my networked surveillance and monitoring, I feel fairly safe. But a big power outage scares me as they would have to setup the generator.
My old tank with hob overflow, hob skimmer,hob filter etc really truly scared the heck out of me every time I went anywhere.., shopping,movies ,dinner let alone vacations.... BUT this tank seems to be ( knock on wood ) pretty bullet proof and runs 24/7 without any issues ( so far ),.its just that you can't run home to fix something IF something suddenly happens,.....I'm 99% sure nothing mechanically will go wrong with anything ,..it's just our nature to worry about things when we're not there to watch over it..., my brother joe is very conscientious about things and I'm sure will do an outstanding job as always ,.I'm just a worry wort at heart. :-/
Old 03-05-2014, 12:37 AM   #2164
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nothing like automation! Sounds like you will have a well oiled machine by the time the cold ones meet the warm sand.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #2165
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithhjs View Post
Nothing like automation! Sounds like you will have a well oiled machine by the time the cold ones meet the warm sand.
Lol , when "the cold ones meet the warm sand " I'll prob forget I even have a tank let alone what happens to it .
Old 03-05-2014, 09:50 PM   #2166
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm thinking that I'm going to cross my fingers and try another yellow tang when I get back from Hawaii,. I had one past that took pretty good care of any green algae that I had growing on the rocks etc then one faithful day he was sucked up against a powerhead that reversed itself after a power outage and never recovered .
Hopefully mr triggerfish will tolerate a guest in his tank without trying to kill it,.... Maybe a little blenny or ? Introduced at the same time might keep him confused enough to let things kinda settle in ? Any thoughts about introducing a new roommate would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #2167
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I just lost my yellow today too Dary, such a beautiful fish. I am now debating another yellow OR a totally different tang. lol

Good luck though if you take the plunge.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #2168
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I just lost my yellow today too Dary, such a beautiful fish. I am now debating another yellow OR a totally different tang. lol

Good luck though if you take the plunge.
Whoa ,...sorry about that Carey !!! I don't know about how anyone else feels but whenever I lose something , fish,coral,snail etc I feel like I just failed and suck at what I'm doing ,. It's like dr korvorkian watching over your family. the problem I see with introducing any other fish in my tank is that my trigger is just so **** mean.,.. Hopefully someone way brighter than me will come up with an idea that'll work.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:06 PM   #2169
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I know that feeling. I added a banana wrasse to the 90g fowlr last week and that tank is full of way way nasty fish. Luckily they all got it sorted out after a day. lol The tang in there is prob the nastiest fish I own so it's always a guessing game adding anything to that tank.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:11 PM   #2170
Aquarium Advice Addict

Carey,..what happened to the yellow tang ? Is this the one that wouldn't eat?

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com