Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2014, 04:19 PM   #2221
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Dary's tank!

I think there are several that won't be bothered by the trigger. I assume this is not a coral tank because of the presence of a trigger. The Foxface would be among my first choices. Brissle tooth or Kole tang would be another choice. I don't think a trigger would bother a lawnmower blenny. Anything like a urchin or snail would be lunch.

But in the end, depending on a fish or CUC to eliminate algae is a waste of time. They can keep it cropped down, but they just recycle and add to the nutrients that grow the algae in the first place.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #2222
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I have seen Foxface bullied on more than one occasion. They are a peaceful creature IME. I have never seen them getting a reprieve from aggression because they have a toxin in their fin. that's all I'm saying. You can embrace the copied and pasted text from Live Aquaria if you like.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #2223
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well we got a few weeks to decide on just what tang to go with,..obviously ,( or maybe not ) this'll be the only tang in the tank with the trigger,..yes Greg ,the tank has lots of coral but the trigger has never bothered any of it, there's a couple f rocks that seem to like having algae grow on them when 95% of em are rather bare ,... When I had my yellow tang a couple of years ago mr trigger for the most part did not bother it too much but whenever I put a piece of nori onto a clip he would charge the clip and take 99% of it just to prevent the tang from getting any !
LA like any other site IMO is merely suggesting a rather broad opinion on fish behavior and temperament ,.. Like any other advice it's not written in stone and should always be taken with a little grain of salt,.As they say, ".your milage may vary."
I do know that whatever tang I decide on it'll be a little bit on the larger size just to maybe detour mr trigger ,....about 10 more days until Hawaii ,..maybe I'll decide one day while watching them cruising around the reef ,...as stated earlier , there's some pretty cool ones to chose from,..decisions,decisions . Thanks for all the advice ,..keep it coming please!
Old 03-15-2014, 10:19 PM   #2224
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Dary's tank!

Foxface can certainly be timid. Thank heavens for that because an aggressive one could do you some damage. But I think the body shape is different enough the trigger "might" ignore him.

I generally agree with LA and think you've gotta start somewhere when making live stock recommendations. There are always the exception to the rule, but a little cross referencing of any topic on the web is the only way to derive a consensus and maybe the truth.

Hawaii sounds really good!
Old 03-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #2225
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Dary's tank!

Dary,

I have been having a ball with a well known reefer who's tank is now over 40 years old. Paul B is a really clever guy and I think you would find commonality with him. He's on many forums but I'm chatting with him on Reef2Reef.com. It's a long thread. He has come up with many ideas over the years. I am pretty sure Doug would also agree with him on most things if he doesn't already follow him. He is the ultimate in keeping it simple. I'm kind of inspired by him.

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1795237
Old 03-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #2226
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I recall the tank. I remembered it as soon as I saw the beer bottles and cans around...lol. Not my cup of tea, but still pretty awesome at 40.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #2227
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Dary's tank!

He's having the same effects feeding live foods I saw in my FW hatchery. If you want crazy healthy, spawning fish, feeding live does the trick. I'm not into the bottles either, but he's a Long Island diver, so he's seen his fair share of bottles on the bottom. I thought you would appreciate how pared down he has his system.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:41 PM   #2228
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hope Hawaii was awesome. Looking forward to seeing update pics!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:19 PM   #2229
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithhjs View Post
Hope Hawaii was awesome. Looking forward to seeing update pics!
Hawaii was wonderful!!!! .... Tank on the other hand is a mess,... Lost some corals,.. Including my large Martian and some assorted hammers,... Other coral seemingly doing well,.. Nice outbreak of green hair algae,... I'm doing what I can to get things back to normal.,
We spent a couple of days at " two step" snorkeling as usual and it's really really amazing to see all of our aquarium fish in their natural habitat ( for those of you who may not have had the opportunity to see it live and up close ,..it's highly recommended ) the first day we were there the conditions were not ideal but nevertheless , it was fantastic,...a couple of days later things settled down a little and it was so much fun cruising around watching all the critters going thru their normal routines.
My girl friend Laura has always dreamed about " swimming with the dolphins " and she got her wish on day two,..to see the smile on her face when she got out of the water was priceless,....all in all it was a wonderful adventure.
I took a few pictures of some yellow tangs just to show you that they do love to stick together on the reefs,.... I can't wait until we can revisit the islands again,...donations gladly accepted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3083920296.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	233881   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2441275099.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	233882  

Name:	image-633828993.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	233883   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1854970061.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	233884  

Name:	image-2559346278.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	233885   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1422835138.jpg
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	233886  

Name:	image-1083850111.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	233887  
Old 04-18-2014, 10:43 PM   #2230
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Dary's tank!

Nice shots Dary, I also like the usual suspect, the parrot fish. Sorry about the tank decline. My glorious mushroom collection is fading as I concentrate more on LPS and SPS. Things change.

The dolphins experience is something my family has gotten to enjoy, even wild ones on dives. You can't be in their presence without it changing you a little. Same with whales. Really neat she got some up close time. They seem to enjoy it as much as we do. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397871771.292096.jpg
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	233891

Glad your home.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com