Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2014, 03:06 AM   #2241
Aquarium Advice Addict

Happy Birthday! Hope you enjoyed a few cold ones
Great pics, thanks got sharing.
Sorry to hear bout the tank troubles, I know you'll get it back on track.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #2242
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you all for the b'day wishes,...it means a lot ,. Yesterday I ordered a new filter ,resin replacement kit for my brs " spartan" RODI unit,...I noticed that the tds measurements were no longer at " zero" and that the resin had gotten dirty,.... Maybe this is part of the cause of my green hair algae outbreak ? After all the troubles and bs associated with this system I'm dreading trying to replace the filters due to the units desire to leak horribly ,... Hopefully all will go well ( sure it will :-/ ) when it's time to do the swap out.
I replaced the filters in My old brs 5 stage unit (which is now located under the kitchen sink and is slightly modified to produce drinking water ) a week or two back and the whole filter swap out took about 15 minutes and not even a whisper of a leak,... I got my fingers crossed for the swap out on the " spartan" unit ,maybe some cold ones will help sub do my overwhelming desire to throw it out into the center of the street to get run over by a truck.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #2243
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMHO that is probably the reason why you are having hair algae problem. I have experienced similar problem and I found my tds in my ro/di was way up high. After replacing it, the hair algae is starting to decline gradually. Of course the amount of feeding also will have similar effect. I also have installed my ro/di in the kitchen where I can use just the ro for drinking. I have valves under the sink that I can open or close to by pass the DI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #2244
Aquarium Advice Addict

Much the same here on the drinking water system., i eliminated the di part of my unit and installed a inline csrbon(?) filter for taste.... Re the hair algae and the " spartan" rodi unif , i surely hope so... First time ive ever had a hair algae issue like this ., scary and a real pain in the butt too.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #2245
Aquarium Advice Addict

So much to my surprise the brs filters and DI resin mix showed up today,..... With a deep breath and a bottle of relaxant I proceeded to change out the di resin first,..the sediment and the carbon impregnated filters actually looked pretty clean and I really Didn't wanna push the envelope too far seeing that I was already having a crappy day anyways so i opted to only change out the DI resin,.. It went rather well after I beat the snot outa my plastic wrench with a piece of 2x4 to loosen up the canister ,... My previous setup with the modified o ring held up well and there was no leaks!!!! I went ahead and pumped out my previously made up RODI water amongst the plants around the yard and restarted the fill up of the barrel,... I took a couple of pictures showing the readings going into the unit and out to the DI resin canister and the zero readings coming out.!!!!
Got my fingers crossed that that'll help things out with the tank .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1775944654.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	234518   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-117112906.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	234519  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1629472675.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	234520   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2253906941.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	234521  

Old 04-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #2246
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Excellent. I would even drink that water!
Old 04-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #2247
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Excellent. I would even drink that water!

Lmao !!!! I got some better stuff in the refrigerator
Old 04-23-2014, 07:01 PM   #2248
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I hear that.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:57 AM   #2249
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good to hear the swap went well. My second DI canister I added to my spartan quit leaking as soon as I lubricated the O ring again. I gotta say though I have waaaay too much co2 in the line as I've been chewing up do much DI resin I finally starts buying it by the cubic foot, which is about 43 pounds lol. When that runs out I've decided that having the Culligan guy come out and add their DI filter is more economical. Hope the hair algae battle isn't a nasty one
Old 05-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #2250
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well ..... I don't even know where to begin except April was tough really tough ,. ,seems like I had my tire running in a rut and just couldn't get out if it no matter how hard I tried.
My tank had sort of been put on hold for the most part but seems to be slowly coming around again.,..my green hair algae outbreak seems to be slowly subsiding and I haven't lost any more corals lately either.,...so for the most part tank wise things are ok .
For anyone who actually has been following this thread for awhile ,.if you recall last September my girl friend's daughter was arrested the nite before our Hawaiian trip and due to the circumstances we had to abort the vacation and tend to matters on hand,... I'm happy to announce that last Friday she was let out with the promise to go to a local college and get a degree ,...in all honesty ,she's a super good kid who made a bad choice and unfortunately paid the price,... I lost one of my dear friends who I've been fishing with for the last 37 years a week and a half ago,.. My poor Toyota van's motor after 190,000 carefree miles finally decided it was time to give up the ghost last week and now I've been forced to riding my motorcycle until the shop refits it with a new " long block" ,... These are just a very small sample of things going on lately but with fingers crossed ,Hopefully things are on the mend and I can get back on the forum again without feeling like a stranger .

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com