Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #231
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
Excellent. It is too early yet to make conclusions, but so far so good. My experience has been the same and I am on two years since the switch over. Again, MH is the gold standard for SPS coral growth, no argument. But I am willing to limit my specimens to those the thrive under LED because MH has too may down sides. That's why I am taking careful note of what grows under LED and what doesn't. So far I haven't found anything that doesn't grow, but I don't have the extensive colonies of SPS some on this forum have
Yeah I know its way too early to tell,..but when I came home from work and saw all the corals fully extended and looking beautiful, I knew I'd made the right decision getting the LED's,..... I've got my fingers crossed that everything will work out,...and as for Ryan and jsmith,... Dary's really happy , believe it or not!!!

Old 08-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #232
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421

Yeah I know its way too early to tell,..but when I came home from work and saw all the corals fully extended and looking beautiful, I knew I'd made the right decision getting the LED's,..... I've got my fingers crossed that everything will work out,...and as for Ryan and jsmith,... Dary's really happy , believe it or not!!!
How are your temps?

Old 08-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #233
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

How are your temps?
78.6 at the moment
Old 08-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #234
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Same as your previous setup?
Old 08-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #235
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Same as your previous setup?
It was 80.1 yesterday,..... But it's been hot out here and I had forgotten to close the door to the outside so the temperature rose accordingly ,...it's been slowly coming down so we'll just have to see when everything settles in,...normally it's around 76-78 degrees
Old 08-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #236
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

That's good, I get nervous when I hear about tanks that hit the mid 80's.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #237
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
That's good, I get nervous when I hear about tanks that hit the mid 80's.

Remind me on that one. But I also read somewhere that reefs do better if they are a little warmer..up to 82? Is that not kosher?

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #238
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I think it is okay. Conventional wisdom is that some corals can stand pretty high temperatures and some can not. 86 was where I had my die off when my chiller died a few years back. I prefer 76-78 as there is better oxygen saturation in the water. I run at 78 and I don't let it vary 1/2 degree.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #239
Aquarium Advice Addict

Today I turned my back on a colony of these beautiful lavender hairy mushrooms that I had seen at a Lfs that I seldom go to.., as I stated in VG 's bio cube build post.., I had to turn my back to them and pretend I never saw them.., I just wanna make sure that these LED lights don't burn 'em up or something.,I can't believe I walked away from them!!!! .. But maybe in a week or two when everything in my tank finds out where it is and how it's doing , then maybe I can add another colony.., but what I have noticed in the last three or four days under these lights is that some of my mushrooms are still huge but a few of the greenies have shrunken...I did reposition those under a little rock over hang to defuse some of the lighting so we'll see if that makes any difference..., it'll be a small price to pay for the visual effect that these lights put out... Stay tuned more to come I'm sure!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 01:05 AM   #240
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Like I said, some of mine got smaller and crinklier, a much more textured surface and they reproduced quite quickly, so they must be healthy. My best guess is the PAR is higher and they don't have to deploy as much surface area as they did.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com