Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-18-2015, 04:38 AM   #2461
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,187
Dary's tank!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424248729.690823.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	264646 We work on giant satellite dishes. A thunderstorm 5 miles away in the right direction can knock you to the ground if your hanging onto the wrong place.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:54 AM   #2462
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dary421's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego,ca
Posts: 2,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Attachment 264646 We work on giant satellite dishes. A thunderstorm 5 miles away in the right direction can knock you to the ground if your hanging onto the wrong place.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
wow,...thats wild,....but i bet you can probably really hear it coming
static electricty i assume?
__________________

__________________
Dary421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:00 AM   #2463
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dary421's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego,ca
Posts: 2,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I got fried by a T5 retro fixture that fell into the tank while i was cleaning the glass. It was at the tank I maintain at a public gym. I screamed so loud people came running in to see the corpse....lol.
...too bad you didnt have it filmed and on utube...i bet for a big guy you can moved pretty fast ....do the fish and coral get fried or are they grounded in a scenerio like that ?.....scary stuff !!
__________________
Dary421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:52 AM   #2464
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421 View Post
...too bad you didnt have it filmed and on utube...i bet for a big guy you can moved pretty fast ....do the fish and coral get fried or are they grounded in a scenerio like that ?.....scary stuff !!
I always wondered about that too. If the tank inhabitants get fried or if its grounded. Does a grounding probe take the charge out of the water when this happens?
__________________

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:00 AM   #2465
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 1,962
From what I have read in the last couple of pages I better get me a couple of GFI's to put where my tanks are. My house was built in 2000 and it appears that they have combined a couple connections onto one GFI. They normally only place GFI's where there is a water source.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:15 AM   #2466
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 1,962
I think they are normally grounded. I had a tank years ago and the Heater had a crack in it and When I realized it I pulled the cord out of the wall. The fish all survived.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #2467
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdonaldson View Post
From what I have read in the last couple of pages I better get me a couple of GFI's to put where my tanks are. My house was built in 2000 and it appears that they have combined a couple connections onto one GFI. They normally only place GFI's where there is a water source.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Definitely need some GFCI's! Also a grounding probe wired to the center screw of that outlet and in the tank water is highly recommended. You can't be too safe she it comes to saltwater and electricity.
__________________

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:52 AM   #2468
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
Definitely need some GFCI's! Also a grounding probe wired to the center screw of that outlet and in the tank water is highly recommended. You can't be too safe she it comes to saltwater and electricity.
I will go to Lowes and get some of those GFI's. Do I need two grounding probes?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:00 PM   #2469
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Nothing happened to the fish or corals. Another incident I had in a larger system was when a broken glass heater kicked on. I was sitting about 15 feet away from the sump the heater was in and all of the sudden what seemed to be like underwater arc welding happened. It went on for about 5-10 seconds before I yanked the plug out. The GFI never tripped, nor did the breaker. The fish were fine, but all of the xenia turned as white as copy paper. Very strange that they immediately lost all their zooxanthellae. If i remember correctly, a few other pieces browned out, but everything recovered.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #2470
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Nothing happened to the fish or corals. Another incident I had in a larger system was when a broken glass heater kicked on. I was sitting about 15 feet away from the sump the heater was in and all of the sudden what seemed to be like underwater arc welding happened. It went on for about 5-10 seconds before I yanked the plug out. The GFI never tripped, nor did the breaker. The fish were fine, but all of the xenia turned as white as copy paper. Very strange that they immediately lost all their zooxanthellae. If i remember correctly, a few other pieces browned out, but everything recovered.
That's pretty much what happened to my first saltwater tank. The only diffence is my heater actually exploded in the tank. I wasn't very successful with that tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.