Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2015, 03:33 PM   #2471
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Not working bare footed is recommended. I also now tap the water before plunging in.

Ground probes can help some, but if not grounded properly can give false comfort. GFI is a pain and not 100% reliable, but still the best bet. 110vac, under ideal circumstances can certainly kill you, so just be cautious in how you wire your system. Can you imagine if you had a live toaster over your bathtub hanging on thin wires? That's what you have with your tank except the water is salty and conducts even better. One more reason I like leds, the fixture is generally fed by low power dc voltage.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 02-19-2015, 05:25 PM   #2472
Aquarium Advice Addict

So ,... ( In my case ),... My new electrical box is directly on the outside wall behind my tank ,.. On the ever on going switch over from telephone poles to under ground utilities the electrical contractors had to install two long brass rods into the ground so many feet apart to act as grounds to the homes electrical system,..In my situation , I assume ( in theory ) I could run a stainless steel rod with a wire attached from my tank to one of those brass rods and ground out my tank ? It would be a rather short run of something in the neighborhood of 8-10 feet ,... Also would a separate ground be needed for the sump as well or because of the constant water flow between the two would only the single be needed ?
I also wonder just how many reefers out there actually have their ranks grounded ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 02-19-2015, 05:52 PM   #2473
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You should be able to ground the tank at the outlet if they have wired the grounds to the box and the ground rods are attached to the box. A cold water pipe will also work. I don't ground my tanks as I have never found stray voltages to be an issue. I don't think a ground probe would necessarily prevent you from getting a shock either. You standing bare foot on a wet floor is a pretty good ground in of itself. A plug in GFI, or one wired into the socket or breaker panel is the best way to go IMO. The plug in ones are kind of tricky as their sensitivity can make them go off if you have a short power outage.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:35 PM   #2474
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dary's tank!

To this day I'm still in awe of the reef world we keep in our living rooms,... If you really stop and consider all that we've done using lighting ,skimmers , pumps, ato's ,dosing systems etc it's quite amazing that we are able to duplicate ( somewhat ) a semi stable environment to raise fish and corals from all parts of the planet.
I think sometimes we just take thing for granted and merely go on our merry way without stopping to smell the roses ,... Each and everyone of us should be proud of what we as individuals and as a group have done to keep our little systems going .
Some of you may have a tiny little nano tank with just a mushroom or two in it while others may have this exotic system that rivals the best natural reefs out there,..it doesn't matter ,it's what you've done !!! , on a personal note have far exceeded anything I had ever thought I could do maintaining a reef aquarium ,... I think not everything you try to do will succeed and we all have lost some prize specimens in the past but looking at the tanks that everyone has going and taking the time to post a reply ,an acknowledgment, a thanks or a suggestion is what keeps us all interested and learning .
Truly , reef keeping is one of the overall toughest hobbies to get into ,... It's expensive ,time consuming but I also feel it's got to be one of the most rewarding at the same time , take a minute ,kick back and look at your tank and admire the work you've done
A nice pat on the back to all of you guys a job well done !!!

Old 02-19-2015, 08:44 PM   #2475
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 02-19-2015, 10:52 PM   #2476
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Very true Dary. I remembered when an extremely basic FOWLR tank seemed like an impossible thing for me to accomplish. With all the modern day advances in lighting, skimmers, pumps, etc., things have become more convenient in the caring of a reef tank. They do and should always require excellent husbandry which is what makes it so rewarding. Putting in all the hard work, time, and money them seeing all that you have done at the end of the day is a great feeling. It's good to stop and smell the roses which is easily forgotten in these busy times. I never thought I would be where I was today in the reefing hobby. What good is it to have it if you can't relax and enjoy its company. I gotta say I love it, and I'm proud of it! Happy reefing!

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:41 PM   #2477
Aquarium Advice Addict

After months of my trike build I rode it into work this morning for the first time !!' She performed beautifully and in keeping with the " aquarium" theme ,it's kinda like riding a 800 lb crab down the freeway ,.. Both crab and owner doing well Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424472037.092521.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	264901Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424472067.476690.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	264902

Old 02-20-2015, 07:52 PM   #2478
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Dary's tank!

Love the color, had a biplane painted that color I did air shows in. 1979 Corvette yellow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424476348.903973.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	264909

Old 02-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #2479
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Dary's tank!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424476538.471977.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	264910

22 years ago, about the time I started the reef.

Let's see a shot of you on your bumblebee.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:29 PM   #2480
Aquarium Advice Addict

You know your colors greg !!! That's exactly the color I chose ,..." Corvette yellow " ....
Diver ,pilot , reefer , mad scientist ,..just what haven't you've done ???

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com